What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

32gb ipad2 shows 58 gb in my computer

OP
B

Busby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, and I thought the same thing. I can't find anything else on Google about it.

Also, it's not in iTunes. It's in Windows Explorer. Mine shows up as 52GB, but the additional space shows up as "used" space because the amount of free space is correct. I suppose Apple didn't get lazy and rebrand 64's as 32's in an effort to get supply ready for launch? :p

Actually you are right. It's in windows explorer. Glad someone. Else has the same "issue".

OP
B

Busby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 32gb iPad2 and everything on the ipad2 itself shows it as 32gb but when I connect it to my pc it shows the photo folder as havin 28gb of 58gb free. Is this normal?

My iPad 1 show exactly the same :)
32gb listed on the device with xx free
58gb listed on windows explorer

Do you know if you can store more than the 32gb?

I really think they probably have 64gb physical storage but they have been restricted via firmware or something.

RavenMaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
ravenmasterthoughts.blogspot.com
I have a 32gb iPad2 and everything on the ipad2 itself shows it as 32gb but when I connect it to my pc it shows the photo folder as havin 28gb of 58gb free. Is this normal?

My iPad 1 show exactly the same :)
32gb listed on the device with xx free
58gb listed on windows explorer

Do you know if you can store more than the 32gb?

I really think they probably have 64gb physical storage but they have been restricted via firmware or something.

If it is, you can't store more than 32gb anyway...
Only through some tool after JB and even so, Apple is not dumb :(

PS: this could mean they placed a very large order of 64gb disks, lowering the price because of the quantity and not justifying the acquisition of 32gb disks, sending 64gb limited to 32gb no some/several/all ipads.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't have anything to do with this does it?

That's talking about how formatted drives have less than their stated capacity. Ours show up as twice as much.

I kind of just wrote it off as a glitch when I got it. I think people who paid more for 64 would be pretty upset if they knew Apple could afford to sell the same hardware for $100 less.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kevbo said:
That's talking about how formatted drives have less than their stated capacity. Ours show up as twice as much.

I kind of just wrote it off as a glitch when I got it. I think people who paid more for 64 would be pretty upset if they knew Apple could afford to sell the same hardware for $100 less.

We already know that. We also know that there is such thing as profit. Perhaps they take Marxist approach, charging the cost of a years worth of thinking and labor, rather than price of product.

At any rate, has anyone done the teardown actual price yet? I love those videos.

RavenMaster said:
Yes, they can, I've explained why.
We see that everyday in hardware retail business.
If I buy 10 hard drives or 1000, the price for the second will be low as hell :)

A lot of that has to deal with packaging and shipping and handling. USPS is a perfect example. They can charge you a flat rate to ship whatever fits in the container of your choosing. If I have to individually wrap 890 1tb hard drives, for resell and disburse them around the country, I need reimbursement. If I can warehouse wrap them, and send them to you to install in company computers, I can use a fraction of the boxes and stickers and warranty papers and CDs, one truck and save that for the both of us.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know they make a pretty big profit and that they could definitely afford to do it, but the reaction would be bad. Someone would obviously find out, and then someone may eventually be able to free that space, tainting the supply of iPads. "iPad 2 64gb (branded 32gb) for sale!!!" People who bought 64gb iPads would have to settle for $50 less on the resale price. It would be on every tech blog that the iPad 2 32gb is the same thing as the 64gb. I understand their motivation for doing it, but it would be a PR headache if they did, especially with it being such a big product. Most consumers don't like paying more for exactly the same hardware just on principle.

Okay I'm getting off topic sorry.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its just a tangent. Seems to have been a lot of careless errors on part of apple and foxconn. But it's not hurting sales because people know apple will stand by their product and at least replace it freely and at most throw in a freebie.

As for JB and accessing the extra, apple would find out and make it impossible. I feel like the only reason they haven't slapped jailbreaking is because it isn't hurting the market. Ppl are buying products TO JB. LOL

Most reactions