What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

320GB Hyperdrive for iPad, $200

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hyperdrive.jpg

First Look: Sanho's 2nd-gen HyperDrive for iPad
updated 08:25 pm EST, Sat January 29, 2011Larger capacity, new form

Sanho has introduced an updated version of its HyperDrive hard drive featuring iPad compatibility. The new device was on hand at Macworld Expo, where MacNN took a closer look.

Like its predecessor, the second-generation HyperDrive attaches to the iPad via the USB camera connection kit. Unlike other portable hard drives, Sanho's offering is built with its own LCD for file management directly from the drive.

The system essentially skirts the iPad's 32GB usage limit, as file folders are turned into virtual 32GB drives that combine to take full advantage of a larger disk. The new model is now available with a 1TB hard drive, though the CompactFlash and SD slots have been omitted.

We like the new form factor, which is a better match to the iPad's styling, while the extra storage space is a plus. For those who do not need the CF and SD slots, the new variant is available at a lower cost, $200, for the 320GB capacity.

First Look: Sanho's 2nd-gen HyperDrive for iPad | MacNN

T

TJK

This would be an ideal replacement for my Wolverine 80GB that we use for photo storage while traveling. Perfect for photographers!

OP
xune

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May get one if it can also be used with desktops

freebirdforever said:
Impressive. If I can use this with my desktop, all the better.

You can:

Finished in a slim enclosure, the HyperDrive looks exactly like any portable USB hard drive except that it has 2 mini USB ports, one for connecting to the computer to function as a normal USB hard drive and the other to connect to the iPad via the Apple Camera Connection Kit.

HDIP-000-2.jpg

The new HyperDrive Hard Drive for iPad ships in March 2011 and is available for pre-order now at the following manufacturer's suggested retail price (Case only/BYO drive): $99, 320GB:$199, 500GB:$249, 640GB:$299, 750GB:$349, 1TB: $399). It is available at HyperDrive iPad Hard Drive

New HyperDrive line-up -- Engadget

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TJK mentioned photo storage as a use. Would that be the primary use for something like this? For pro photographers?

Guess I'm just not quite understanding the use of this. Does the iPad view this hard drive a different way than other external hard drives?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Guess I'm just not quite understanding the use of this. Does the iPad view this hard drive a different way than other external hard drives?

Yes. The iPad tends to only recognize common photo file types and MP4 files - it basically assumed any storage connected to it is a camera. This device uses the CCK to fool the iPad into think it's connected to a camera by emulating sevreral 32GB SD cards. The iPad is still not dealing with a file structure.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
Yes. The iPad tends to only recognize common photo file types and MP4 files - it basically assumed any storage connected to it is a camera. This device uses the CCK to fool the iPad into think it's connected to a camera by emulating sevreral 32GB SD cards. The iPad is still not dealing with a file structure.

That's a bust - there is no way even with a jailbreak at this time?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Hmm. I might have to pick one up. Being able to transfer/bring my movies with me would be wonderful. I like the bby drive option. As I have a 1tb storage drive that I think would work nicely :)

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I don't think the device is out yet, so who knows?

Hmm. I might have to pick one up. Being able to transfer/bring my movies with me would be wonderful. I like the bby drive option. As I have a 1tb storage drive that I think would work nicely :)

I'm currently setting up a NAS drive, so I'll have a personal 2TB cloud. It will be slower but I won't have to carry it around and it won't be as fiddly and dealing with iOS directly...

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv

I don't think the device is out yet, so who knows?

I'm currently setting up a NAS drive, so I'll have a personal 2TB cloud. It will be slower but I won't have to carry it around and it won't be as fiddly and dealing with iOS directly...

Not a bad idea. :) I have no experience with NAS drives, but hey, I might give it a go

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. :) I have no experience with NAS drives...

Ditto. :) It's not a pre-built NAS set-up, either, like the Buffalo drives I've seen. I already had an external 2TB USB drive and I found a gadget on Amazon that let's you plug a USB drive into your internet router and access it via the internet and/or home network. It even came with a setting to act as an iTunes server. Once I figure it out, all my iTunes files (movies, music, tv shows, photos) should be available to my iPad remotely.

Most reactions

Latest posts