1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

$300 ipad 1 @ Verizon vs ipad 2 for $500

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by jhood2323, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jhood2323

jhood2323 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As some of you know . I had the 16 gig white Verizon ipad 2 last week but sold it as I really just need wifi only and wanted to make a quick buck. In my time with the ipad 2. I noticed some speed improve over my old ipad 1(sold early this year) but nothing amazingly fast.Out of all 60+ apps I had none of them were graphic hungry except imovie.Browser speed were alittle(i do mean alittle) snappier. After all the hype about cameras. I realized I don't have any friends. WTF do I need facetime for lol.The weight reduction is somewhat noticeable but if you plan to slap this thing in an otter box. Your back to square one plus some.I opted to go on the hunt for a 16 gig wifi only ipad 2 but with the announcement of Verizon selling the originals for an extra hundred dollars off the already discounted prices. Its becoming real tempting to go back to the ipad 1 and wait for the ipad 3. I plan on getting the iphone 5 this summer .Which is where the $200 I save from buying the ipad 1 would go its a win/win situation. I have until tomorrow afternoon to decide. Help me
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. Harley man

Harley man iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    If you can get iPad 1 for 300 new with no contract then that's. The way I would go
  3. jhood2323

jhood2323 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yeah thats what I leaning to.It just that nerd in me to have the newest and latest thing like I would be an outkast if I don't have it. I am by no means bashing the ipad 2. Hey I spent $673 on one last week. Its just ipad 1 with iphone 5 combo is better that ipad 2 with lg optimus v combo.
  4. jhood2323

jhood2323 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    quick update
    no stores have 16 gb anymore just 32 and 64. So now its ipad 2 16 gig or ipad 1 32/64 hmmmmmm decisions
  5. HKWrite12

HKWrite12 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I think I would probably go for it. If u have already done the comparison, you know what you need and don't need. Another plus, if you sold your accessories, i1 accessories are cheeeaaaappp too. iPhone 5 will b a hotspot, ull be in good shape.
  6. hoshnasi

hoshnasi iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Even though not exactly the same. My argument has been if you own an iPad First Gen, stick with it till Ipad 3. You will be rewarded for your tech discipline. iPad 2 is a bump but not enough to double dip your wallet for.

For your issue, I think a $300.00 iPad First Gen is a solid buy.
  7. jhood2323

jhood2323 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    will be there tomorrow but question I bought angry birds seasons,imovie,garageband, and fruit ninja slice hd. I know imovie isn't compatible but if I jailbreak can I redownload it
  8. jhood2323

jhood2323 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    quick update i just watch the year one video and keynote video and fell in love with ipad 2 again smh
  9. SporkLover

SporkLover iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ipad2 only feels marginally faster now, but in a few months when apps are designed to harness all that power, that extra computing power will become more apparent.

One thing it has already helped is playback of divx movies in third party players. Third party media players aren't given the luxury of access to hardware decode videos they have to completely rely on software decoding. On the iPad 1, watching high quality divx videos was nearly impossible because the lack of processing power meant the video playback was choppy. No longer an issue on ipad2.
  10. Thphilli

Thphilli iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ipad1 XBMC. Flawless playback of 720p high profile h.264 videos in MKV format. Anything 720p and under plays like a dream. Trying to use some dumpy third party player that doesn't use hardware acceleration is stupid anyways, because what do you think is doing the processing of the video if its not the GPU? Yea, your CPU is frying itself and reducing the heck out of battery life. Stick with XBMC wth full hardware decoding. It is amazing.
  11. jhood2323

jhood2323 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I noticed that while watching some Bree Olson movies
  12. accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Duh.....winning!!! Lol
  13. jhood2323

jhood2323 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what you know about that tigerblood
  14. SporkLover

SporkLover iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Streaming video is one thing.

I wanted a third party player because at the time most of my media was in divx format. DIvx can produce relatively high quality videos, with taking up huge amounts of space.

One of my few complaints about the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch. Loosen up the video format requirements.
  15. jhood2323

jhood2323 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Copped a ipad 1 for $320
  16. Venturabumm

Venturabumm iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personally, I would purchase an iPad1 from Apple's refurbished store.
    Oh wait, that's what I did.
  17. scottcocoabeach

scottcocoabeach iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went with the 64 GB Ipad1 Wifi Version for $499.00, probably wait for the iPad 3 until I upgrade again.
  18. jake1974

jake1974 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm really liking iMovie. That's a lot of fun to use. I imagine gaming apps are going to start coming out soon too that really take advantage of the added processing power, too. If that and the camera don't matter much to you, might as well get the 300 dollar iPad.
  19. NAYo2002

NAYo2002 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I too saw this deal at VZW store. If they had a 16GB still, it would've been a no brainer. However at $399 for 32GB the price is only $100 from a 16GB iPad 2. For me extra 16GB+$100 is not worth trading for a dual core processor+more RAM+faster graphics. 16GB is also plenty for me since I only intend to keep rental (self deleting) movies on the device for long flights.
  20. scottcocoabeach

scottcocoabeach iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ended up just moving up to the iPad 2. After I saw how good these things are I decided to go with the best. Went 64 gig with ATT 3G although I will only activate if I need it but I wanted the GPS chip.