3 year old Apple iPad mini screen goes black

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by scrabble, Aug 4, 2016.

1. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    hi,

I purchased my Apple iPad mini in May 2013 and within one year, a key stopped working so Apple gave me a refurbished iPad mini. Within the past two months, my screen goes black when I am on Facebook or this morning it happened when I tried to open my yahoo email.

How long does the iPad mini last? Do I need a new one?

Help - comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you mean that the screen goes black at intervals but works normally at other times?

3. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This is correct. It started doing this about one month ago and is happening more and more frequently.

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you look at the screen in bright light when the screen has gone black, do you see any faint hint of what's on the screen? It's possible that your problem may be a failing backlight.

5. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Screen goes totally black and there isn't anything else.

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Gave you tried restarting your iPad? Press and hold the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the iPad to restart.

Do you have an Apple Store close enough to visit? The Genius Bar can run a full diagnostic on your iPad to see what the problem is. Genius Bar appointments are free but making an appointment is advisable to avoid delays. If you can, back up your iPad before going to the Apple Store as some potential solutions may involve erasing and restoring York iPad.

7. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure that Apple will help with a 3 year refurbished iPad. Yesterday, I went to the Apple website in an attempt to initiate a chat with Apple and when I repeatedly entered the Serial number of my refurbished iPad, a message appeared saying the Serial # was invalid. I know the Serial number was correct as I obtained it from the iPad 'about' settings.

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Genius Bar will still test the iPad even though it's long out of warranty. What they won't do is fix a hardware problem for free.

9. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. I will call Apple and see if I can set up an appointment to have my iPad mini tested.

10. scrabble

scrabble
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Apple ran a diagnostics over the telephone with my iPad and said they found nothing wrong with my iPad and that the problem was with the Facebook app and the email app. They had me delete and reinstall Facebook bug the problem still occurs. So, I don't know....