What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 million sold

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim Cook announced that 3 million new iPads have sold since Friday. Despite some lukewarm opinions of the new model, it does look that it has been well received.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, of course! :)

I'd like to thank Apple for making this iPad easy to get, too.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, 3 million! That's record breaking, correct?

Well, of course! :)

I'd like to thank Apple for making this iPad easy to get, too.

+1
Apple did an excellent job on supply management this time around.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is hard to put a handle on this. Total numbers, it is amazing. But it is impossible to get a good comparison. The original iPad sold 300,000. That was only in the US, and did not include 3G models. The iPad 2 numbers were never released, but they were US only. The new iPad was an international release. It was not as good as the iPhone 4S release, but in many ways the iPhone is different. I think it shows a good progression of growth. The next model will probably see even more sales as the iPad reaches more customers for the first time.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great news, and I hope they keep getting people's attention so they can keep improving this awesome device. "iPhone" "iPad" etc

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is hard to put a handle on this. Total numbers, it is amazing. But it is impossible to get a good comparison. The original iPad sold 300,000. That was only in the US, and did not include 3G models. The iPad 2 numbers were never released, but they were US only. The new iPad was an international release. It was not as good as the iPhone 4S release, but in many ways the iPhone is different. I think it shows a good progression of growth. The next model will probably see even more sales as the iPad reaches more customers for the first time.

A lot of people, myself included, originally thought the Ipad was just an overpriced toy and would die like all of the tablets that were attempted before it. I was even one of those jerks who laughed at a guy who said he was going to buy one after they were announced. I said I would never waste my money and now I have bought each generation and the 3 I pre-ordered so he got the last laugh.

I don't know about everyone else though but I can't keep buying the most expensive model this often. I find it a little annoying that the first gen got outdated this quickly. A thousand dollar piece of technology should not feel old for at least 3 years. It makes sense with a phone that you usually get heavily discounted every two years with a new contract but this is a bit much.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a first day delivery original iPad. It was not obsolete, nor is it going to be for a long while. I was going to wait until this summer to replace it, or wait to the 4th gen. However, I have a relative that needs something like the iPad while under going dialysis. My wife and I decided that if I moved up my next purchase a few months, it would help them out. Yes, each year brings advancements, but you decide on spending your money.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not obsolete but certainly "old" by comparison. The second and now third gen have left the first gen way behind.

kitkat3709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
I had a first day delivery original iPad. It was not obsolete, nor is it going to be for a long while. I was going to wait until this summer to replace it, or wait to the 4th gen. However, I have a relative that needs something like the iPad while under going dialysis. My wife and I decided that if I moved up my next purchase a few months, it would help them out. Yes, each year brings advancements, but you decide on spending your money.

Very nice, Seadog.

Sent from my iPad2 32 3G Black :)

Most reactions

Latest posts