What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Questions regarding SD cards and Jailbreaking

Max Death

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off let me say this IPad 1 is my first Apple purchase. There is nothing I have not done with a PC.
I see potential in the IPad if Apple would remove their restrictive hold.
My questions are
1. If I were to jailbreak could I use the cck and an SD card as a hard drive to hold movies, documents and apps, etc. With proper names?
To give a couple of examples...could I store the movie Avatar and be able to name it Avatar not 0185 as I do now. Could I store a translator app move it to my iPad move my numbers app to the SD card use the translator app then move both back to their original places?
2. If this is possible would someone be kind enough to list the proper jailbreak and apps I would need to do this?
Thank you in advance

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could I store a translator app move it to my iPad move my numbers app to the SD card use the translator app then move both back to their original places?

I have no idea what you mean by this sentence, I just can't follow it, however the short answer to the rest of your query is yes.

You can use the CCK and a SD card to store and access just about anything, however you need the right apps to be able to access them. The main one you will use for media is "iFile". This is a well featured file explorer for jailbroken devices. With it you can launch most types of media off your SD card, so your Avatar scenario won't be a problem.

The tutorials and guides section has the most help (linked in my sig). I suggest you get yourself upgraded to 4.3.3 (if not already there), and then follow our redsn0w tutorial. It is by far the easiest and quickest way to get jailbroken. Then the first thing for you get from Cydia (the jailbroken app store) is iFile.

Hope that helps.

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe he's asking whether he could copy an app from an SD card to his iPad, use that app, then offload it back to the SD card (presumably to save space on the iPad?). Now that he's asked that, I'm curious about it too. Transferring an app would seem to be different to moving other files since the copied app wouldn't be "installed", I assume. His experience with PCs is probably what prompts the question. One can't just move an installed PC app around because of all the interdependencies created (such as with .dll files) when the app is installed.

If iOS appps don't install the same way, perhaps moving them back and forth to/from an SD card wouldn't be a problem--? I hope I've interpreted his question correctly--if not I'll go back to lurking the JB threads...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good call. If that's the correct interpretation, then no, you can't simply move apps in and out of storage and use them like you might with a stand alone EXE file in windows. Think of apps like a package which must be installed and uninstalled like a full blown Windows program. You can't just move them around where you like, as convenient as that might be.

OP
M

Max Death

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry I was not to clear but yes I wanted to know if I could store apps on a SD card and move them to my iPad when I needed them. On a Pc I can move programs around between hard drives so I was hoping the same held true for apple' s apps. Looks like it's not even close.
Thanks for the help

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Max Death said:
Sorry I was not to clear but yes I wanted to know if I could store apps on a SD card and move them to my iPad when I needed them. On a Pc I can move programs around between hard drives so I was hoping the same held true for apple' s apps. Looks like it's not even close.
Thanks for the help

You can hold the ipa files on Sd card but when you want to run the apps you have to install them on the iPad thru ifile

OP
M

Max Death

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went ahead and did the jailbreak. Now it seems a little more user friendly. But I must not be understanding Ifile. I can see things on an SD card, I can even copy them to the iPad but when I look for them on the iPad they can not be found. Tried both an mp3 music file and a ipa file. Maybe I just need to keep messing with it. Thanks for the answers though.

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Max Death said:
Went ahead and did the jailbreak. Now it seems a little more user friendly. But I must not be understanding Ifile. I can see things on an SD card, I can even copy them to the iPad but when I look for them on the iPad they can not be found. Tried both an mp3 music file and a ipa file. Maybe I just need to keep messing with it. Thanks for the answers though.

Where are you copying them to?

nymosis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Max Death said:

Where are you copying them to?

Yeah, that's a good question.

OP
M

Max Death

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm placing the mp3 under mobile/media/iTunes control/music. The ipa I'm placing under mobile applications. These may not be the right places. As I said I may need to do some more playing around with Ifile. Apple seems to do things a a little different than a PC as far as file structure. Of coarse that's not all apple does a little different. Not bad mind you just different.

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Who can tell me how to delete my account from this sissy forum, or could a mod hurry and ban me pleeeeze!!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Max Death said:
I'm placing the mp3 under mobile/media/iTunes control/music. The ipa I'm placing under mobile applications. These may not be the right places. As I said I may need to do some more playing around with Ifile. Apple seems to do things a a little different than a PC as far as file structure. Of coarse that's not all apple does a little different. Not bad mind you just different.

1st off...you can't just copy an mp3 to iTunes music folder on ipad it has to be imported correctly.....
Solution:
Look for mewseek;) in cydia....once installed....using ifile, copy all of your mp3's to var/mobile/media/downloads. Open mewseek...click on downloads tab. You may be prompted to fix any missing tags on songs. Once that's done click "Add to iPod" in top right corner.

The app only allows for 10imports until needing registered(10$) but this can refer to a group of imports. I imported 10songs at the same time and it counted as 1import.

Most reactions

Latest posts