What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 iDevices/iPads through the internet

zmatique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just moved away from my best friend, and i was wondering if there was a way, jailbroken or now, that we could continue to play our games through our typical home network connection, and play through some type of connection we can set up on the internet. It seems like a naive thought, but possible do-able thought a VPN or something

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never tried this with iPads, but I suspect you are on the right track.

I would set up the VPN with no security to maximize the data speed. The only time I successfully set up a VPN, it was slower than dial up, because of the necessary encryption.

If you do it, do yourself a favor and use identical routers. If you are learning how to set up a VPN at the same time as doing it, it makes it a whole lot easier. I struggled for hours to get the thing working and then gave up and bought another router to match the other two in the network. It worked quite well after that.

OP
Z

zmatique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no idea how VPNs work, but I appreciate the reply, one problem is though is I don't have access to the other router or anything, so I mean, idk if I would need to, but if this works, this would be amazing! Would I NEED to encrypt our connection?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. The VPN I rigged up was encrypted because it was a corporate network, but the option exist to set it up as an unencrypted link. If the only data you are sharing is your game data, I seriously doubt it would be an issue.

I don't have sufficient experience to walk you through this, but I think we have members who have the requisite knowledge.

OP
Z

zmatique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, ok. Do you have any references or do you think this is something I could Google and figure out over night?

Mno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt you can set up a tunnel from an ipad to another one. You will have to do it from another device: it could be the router or a linux/windows pc. I already make such configuration without any issue using ipsec betwenn two pc (with encryption) to play some games and it was working perfectly. The solution you have are:
- using two pc
Set up a tunnel yourself using some tools ( google is your best friend)
Use an external provider like logmein with their hamachi tools and service

- using only one pc on one end and have the ipad connecting on it
Eg running a ssl tunnel server on the pc (google is your best friend again)

I use the latest techique to have my ipad always connected on my home network wherever I am, which allows me to bypass any local firewall restrictions.

Hope this hel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used the onscreen tutorial that came with the router, but I suppose there is nothing wrong with trying Google out to figure out how it works.

Essentially, you are attempting to set up a LAN, but over a distance. Assuming you use the standard IP addressing for such a network, both nodes will share the first two numbers, which are 192.168. The third number is where it gets interesting. One part of your network will have one number (10?) and the other part will have different number (20?). This will differentiate devices on the two halves. Devices on the network will be differentiated by the last number, anything from 0 to 255. Obviously, you can add more nodes, using changes in the third number.

Your routers will find each other using your external IP address, which needs to be static.

This is where memory fails me. You'll be delving into all sorts of protocols and concepts, most of which I barely understood, even while I was playing around with networks. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Even if you can't get it working properly, keep us updated so we can brainstorm this and try to help.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm visualizing this network as having PCs connected to both subnets, and both iPads as wirelessly connected to each subnet, not directly connected to the VPN.

When I get home this weekend, I'll dig out my Network+ book and see if I can make a stab at understanding this better. It's like a lot of things. If you can understand the data flow, you stand more chance of getting it to work.

Last edited:

Mno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I'm visualizing this network as having PCs connected to both subnets, and both iPads as wirelessly connected to each subnet, not directly connected to the VPN.

When I get home this weekend, I'll dig out my Network+ book and see if I can make a stab at understanding this better. It's like a lot of things. If you can understand the data flow, you stand more chance of getting it to work.

KevinJS,

It is not that complex...If you cannot make it just post a note....just a small tip: do not forget to change the default gateway of your iPad and make it pointing to your VPN box.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have access to a couple of networks, so I'll try to set up a VPN between them. If I'm successful, I'll post the procedures back here. I like a challenge, so let's see how this goes.

OP
Z

zmatique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, I was not expecting this much help. i forgot to check back here because after my last post, I attempted to do dozens of Google searches, all confusing me and leading me to question something else. The part that stumps me, is that I do not know for sure I guess, if I am able to setup a VPN from my computer or set it up on my router with Port Forwarding, or what it may be. From the sounds of it between you two, it seems that i can from my laptop, which i have also tried to find videos and tutorials on how to, but each tutorial, has me put in some internet address as if I have a paid server setup.

Another question, is would it be easier if I set up two VPNs (Made a friend setup their computer to a VPN as well as me do so too) or can I just set up one, and then tell my friend and have me connect to that VPN. That would be the ideal situation. (One VPN [On my computer, whatever it takes] and then both ipads connect to that).

Again, thanks for your help so far guys, I am happy to hear back when you do!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that your friend will need to set up a VPN, rather than simply linking to your network.

Try to imagine what is going on here. Once we discover the procedures, it will make it easier to understand.

I'll assume that your router has the internal IP address 192.168.0.1. Your PC will have the address 192.168.0.x, where x is a number between 0 and 255. But not 1 as that is already taken. Your iPad will share the first 3 numbers, and have a unique 4th number.

Same will be happening at your friends house.

The trick is to change the third number on one of your networks, so that every device on your network is identified as being on one subnet, and every device on your friends network is identified as being on another subnet, and both of your networks being part of one big network. It doesn't matter where in the world you are, relative to each other.

The VPN tunnel is the link between your subnets.

OP
Z

zmatique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So are you saying, that before we can connect the two devices through a VPN, we need to make sure there is no mismatch between the two networks like having a 192.168.2 and the friend also happening to have a 192.168.0.2?

And another question: Wouldn't we have to make an entirely new ip or at least have one computer connect to the VPN Tunnel? I have a hard time grasping the concept of the ipads connecting two different VPN setups then working together. I am a noob when it comes to networking, server, IP Addresses, and etc. but i get most of what you are saying. I just thought maybe this would have been a more common thing to have questioned before yet found nothing on Google.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zmatique said:
So are you saying, that before we can connect the two devices through a VPN, we need to make sure there is no mismatch between the two networks like having a 192.168.2 and the friend also happening to have a 192.168.0.2?

And another question: Wouldn't we have to make an entirely new ip or at least have one computer connect to the VPN Tunnel? I have a hard time grasping the concept of the ipads connecting two different VPN setups then working together. I am a noob when it comes to networking, server, IP Addresses, and etc. but i get most of what you are saying. I just thought maybe this would have been a more common thing to have questioned before yet found nothing on Google.

The subnets will be identified to each other by your external IP address, that is the one that is assigned to you by your ISP.

The act of setting up the subnets will change the all-important third number. By the time this is set up, there will be no mismatch because any device on your system will automatically be assigned an internal IP address which matches the subnet that it is on.

This is where I need to do some research, because I can't remember how I did this.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have been playing a game like Minecraft, and have been used to seeing IP addresses like 192.168.0.4 for one device, and 192.168.0.5 for another, the addresses we are eventually going to end up with will look very familiar.

They could be, example, 192.168.10.4 and 192.168.20.4. The third number identifies the subnet, and the 4th identifies the device on the subnet.

Most reactions

Latest posts