What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1Password and UK based free wifi "The Cloud"

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad [3] under iOS v5.1.1 (9B206) with 1Password v3.6.5 and I sync the iPad and iMac (OSX.6.8) via iTunes 1Password via DropBox.

So far so good, but ...

... I cannot use 1Password to log in to The Cloud, a free wifi service in the UK available in certain coffee shop chains (e.g.Caffe Nero), pub chains (e.g. Wetherspoons) and other public locations.

I can log in to other sites using 1Password, so I presume that I am using the software correctly.

However, I get the error message at the end of this post.

The consequence is that I have to enter my log-in details manually each time which, of course, means using an easily memorable password thus reducing security in a public area.

Is this a 1Password problem, or a problem with The Cloud?

What is happening and how can I use 1Password to log-in to "The Cloud" free public sites?

<!DOCTYPE html><!--[if IEMobile 7 ]><html class="no-js iem7"><![endif]-->
<!--[if lt IE 7 ]><html class="no-js lt-ie9 lt-ie8 lt-ie7"><![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7 ]><html class="no-js lt-ie9 lt-ie8"><![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8 ]><html class="no-js lt-ie9"><![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 9 ]><html class="no-js lt-ie10"><![endif]-->
<!--[if (gte IE 10)|(gt IEMobile 7)|!(IEMobile)|!(IE)]><!--><html class="no-js"><!--<![endif]--><head><meta charset="utf-8"/><meta content="IE=edge,chrome=1" http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible"/><title>The Cloud, Wi-Fi Broadband</title><meta content="Wi-Fi Broadband for the mobile, iPhone, iPad, Android and other handheld devices." name="description"/><meta content="Wi-Fi, wifi, mobile, iPhone, iPad, Android, handheld, FastConnect" name="keywords"/><meta content="telephone=no" name="format-detection"/><meta content="True" name="HandheldFriendly"/><meta content="320" name="MobileOptimized"/><meta content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1.0" name="viewport"/><link href="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/styles/style.css" rel="stylesheet"/><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/service-platform/branding/custom.css" media="all"/><!--[if (lt IE 9) & (!IEMobile)]>
******** src="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/scripts/libs/selectivizr-1.0.3b.min.js">
// selectivizr.js (css3 selectors for IE6-8)
</script>
<![endif]-->******** src="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/scripts/libs/modernizr-2.0.6.min.js">
//modernizr.js
</script>******** type="text/javascript">
var _data = {"onnet":true,"session":null,"location":"2021008","account":null,"server":"sp-app-4.inx.uk.thecloud.net","venue":{"id":2021008,"owner-id":1002293,"address":"9-11 Shaw's Road","name":"Caffe Nero - Altrincham - 202","postcode":"WA14 1QU","type":"Retail - Restaurant & Caf?","country":"GB","city":"Altrincham"},"country":"GB","ip":"10.129.181.189"};</script><link href="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/images/favicons/h/apple-touch-icon.png" sizes="114x114" rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed"/><link href="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/images/favicons/m/apple-touch-icon.png" sizes="72x72" rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed"/><link href="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/images/favicons/l/apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png" rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed"/><link href="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/images/favicons/l/apple-touch-icon.png" rel="shortcut icon"/><link href="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/images/favicons/favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon"/><meta content="on" http-equiv="cleartype"/></head><body class="clearfix"><div id="wrapper"><section></section><header class="ir"><a class="ir" href="/service-platform/;jsessionid=23ED7C23879EB69E0389A8125AA2F0B3.mycloudui-r1">home</a></header><section><h2>500</h2><h1>That one appears to have been lost in the Clouds. Please try again or email support.</h1><div class="buttons"><a class="submit" href="/service-platform/;jsessionid=23ED7C23879EB69E0389A8125AA2F0B3.mycloudui-r1">Home</a></div>******** type="text/javascript">
var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_trackEvent','error','500','\n']);
</script></section><footer><nav><div class="footer-links"><a href="http://www.thecloud.net/en/Terms-and-Conditions.aspx" class="link">Terms</a><a href="http://www.thecloud.net/about-us" class="link">About Us</a></div><div class="venue"><span>2021008</span></div></nav><aside><p>The site owner does not accept any liability arising from the operation and provision of the Wireless LAN or related services. This Wireless LAN is operated and provided by The Cloud Networks Limited. Use of the Wireless LAN and related services is subject to The Cloud's terms of use or if applicable your service provider's terms of use, which are available on the respective service provider's website.</p></aside></footer></div>******** type="text/javascript" src="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/scripts/libs/jquery-1.7.1.min.js">
//jquery.js
</script>******** type="text/javascript" src="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/scripts/combined.js">
//combined.js
$(function(){
ActivityIndicator.initialise("/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/images/activity-indicator.gif");
$('button.submit').click(function(ev){ActivityIndicator.show('Please Wait');});
});
var_gaq=[['_setAccount','UA-2560959-4'],
['_setCustomVar',1,'server',_data.server,3],['_setCustomVar',2,'location',_data.location,3],
['_setCustomVar',4,'venue-type',_data.venue==null?"External":_data.venue['type'],3],
['_setCustomVar',3,'owner-id',_data.venue==null?"External":_data.venue['owner-id'],3],
['_trackPageview']];
(function(d,t){
var g=d.createElement(t),s=d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0];
g.async=g.src=('https:'==location.protocol?'//ssl':'//www')+'.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
s.parentNode.insertBefore(g,s)
}(document,'script'))
</script><!--[if (lt IE 9) & (!IEMobile)]>
******** src="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/scripts/libs/imgSizer-20120228-min.js" type="text/javascript">
// imgSizer.js (fluid images for IE)
</script>
******** type="text/javascript">
imgSizer.Config.spacer = "/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/images/spacer.gif";
$(function() {
// IE lt 9 specific startup code
$('.submit').corner("6px");
});
</script>
<![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 9 ]>
******** src="/service-platform/resources-0.6.18/scripts/libs/jquery.ie9gradius-20110908-min.js" type="text/javascript">
// jquery.ie9gradius.js (fix for IE 9 gradient and border radius conflict)
</script>
<![endif]--><!--
Version: 0.6.18
Build date: 2012-05-03T13:37:51.757+0000--></body></html>

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any idea why this happens. However, I don't access web sites through the 1Password app (I just type them after looking them up).

However, 1Password has an excellent customer service section. Maybe you can send them an e-mail with this error code and see what they can make of it? For one thing, I am sure they would be most interested in seeing that their app doesn't work on a very popular web site.

Sorry to be of not much help. Good luck and do keep us posted.

Marilyn

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have any idea why this happens. However, I don't access web sites through the 1Password app (I just type them after looking them up).

However, 1Password has an excellent customer service section. Maybe you can send them an e-mail with this error code and see what they can make of it? For one thing, I am sure they would be most interested in seeing that their app doesn't work on a very popular web site.

Sorry to be of not much help. Good luck and do keep us posted.

Marilyn

OK, it's admission time and I have to admit to being a bit of a prat here. As i cry easily, dom't mock me too much!

I did, however, learn something, apart from not to be so stupid!

What was causing the screed of incomprehensible error text was that I has the URL incorrect in 1Password! :p

I had created the 1Password entry manually in the early days of having the iPad as I hadn't by then sussed out how to do the basics such as copy and paste. To compound the stupidity, I had not noticed that the URL displayed in Safari had become truncated so what I wrote down on the back of an envelope, carried round for several days and then copied into 1Password, was a tad too short!

I feel such a fool!

But what did I learn?

Well, I can now log in using 1Password, which saves the copying and pasting that you seem to use Mickey, but unless I actually tap on the password field to make it "live" after the auto fill has been completed it sends me to the Register page. Tapping on the password field allows me to go straight through the log in process.

So, my self given reputation as an eagle-eyed expert of the digital media age is somewhat battered but, I hope, not entirely destroyed.

Yet!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No mocking here from me (well ... just a little bit, but I'll keep it internal).

I just want to say thanks for coming back and updating us on your problem/fix, even if you had to "rat" yourself out. I'm sure this will help someone in the future - not to truncate URLs.

We always appreciate members returning and telling everyone how they got on. Thanks.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts