What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16gb enough?

chris9000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking into picking up an iPad for playing Hearthstone, listening to some music, and typing docs. I'm sure we may one day have tablets that can play FPSes, but until then, I don't plan to do anything along the lines of installing my entire Steam library.

Any thoughts? Would I be really cutting it close with 16gb, or would it be highly recommended that I look to 32gb or higher?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No one should be buying a 16 GB iPad unless they have a business/use case where they "know" that they will never need more storage. Like using it as a kiosk or a POS.

Regardless of what you think you'll be using the iPad for, I almost guarantee you'll find more things you want to use if for; and when that happens the memory will run out quickly.

Here's a thread where several people, including me, weigh in on the idea of getting a 16 GB iPad (later half of the thread).

http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/which-mini-should-i-get.125321/

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looking into picking up an iPad for playing Hearthstone, listening to some music, and typing docs. I'm sure we may one day have tablets that can play FPSes, but until then, I don't plan to do anything along the lines of installing my entire Steam library.

Any thoughts? Would I be really cutting it close with 16gb, or would it be highly recommended that I look to 32gb or higher?

Hi Chris.... - welcome to the forum! :) I was also a participant in the link offered by Twerppoet and stated that buying a 16 GB iPad would be a BIG mistake - no reason to change my mind - get a larger storage capacity or we'll see you back in a few months wanting to know 'how' to increase your storage - ;) Dave

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So it's as I feared!

Yeah, it kind of is. I used to be more in defense of the entry level storage but even I see that it doesn't take long to use up 16GB. It requires way too much management and screwing around to keep space freed up. Go for the next teir of storage, whatever model you get. I have 32GB on my iPad Air and that's perfect for me. The Air 2 gives you 64GB for the same price as the old 32 GB upgrade now.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How quickly you fill the storage capacity on your iPad depends on how you're using it. For myself, I have a 128GB iPad 4 and within 2 months it was full.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
16 GB iPad = $100 mistake. If you plan to store music, 32 GB is the minimum. Movies need even more space. And, if you think you might ever have a use for GPS, you'll need the 4G version.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How quickly you fill the storage capacity on your iPad depends on how you're using it. For myself, I have a 128GB iPad 4 and within 2 months it was full.

Just got my iPad Air 2 w/ 64 GB of storage - once my apps were restored (including books & magazines), I put all of my iPod music on the new device, so I did not have to carry two machines 'on the road' - I've got 32 GB left! But, plenty of room for more music, books, and mags - don't do movies, so not a concern. Dave :)

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My last iPad was a 32 Gig cellular model. I had it for three years and only loaded about 12 Gigs worth of apps, songs and pictures on it during that time. (I mostly use my iPad for net access -- browsing, e-mail, live audio streaming, Netflix etc).

So, based on that, when I upgraded to an Air last December, I picked up a 16 Gig cellular model.

BUT.. Note that a 16 Gig iPad only has 12 Gigs of actual available memory. When I transferred everything over to the new iPad, I only had about 1 Gig left. So, I moved my 4 Gigs of music over to my Android phone and now I have about 5 Gigs free on the iPad. That's plenty for me. I've had the Air for a year now and I still have those 5 Gigs free so I'm happy with my choice of a 16 Gig model.

Of course, like scifan57 says... Everyone's memory needs vary. You have to figure out what you'll be doing with yours.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You must to fill it up so quickly! :)

Hey Ski.... - just loaded up my 100+ hrs of MP3 music to my new iPad Air 2 (64 GB) but still have about half of the storage left for MORE music! :)

Now, I own 6000+ CDs (collecting since '84) and if I decided to rip these to MP3, I'd probably need a multi-TB iPad, so I clearly understand Scifan's statement - ;) Dave

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Ski.... - just loaded up my 100+ hrs of MP3 music to my new iPad Air 2 (64 GB) but still have about half of the storage left for MORE music! :)

Now, I own 6000+ CDs (collecting since '84) and if I decided to rip these to MP3, I'd probably need a multi-TB iPad, so I clearly understand Scifan's statement - ;) Dave

Hey @giradman ....Apparently I don't have that many hours of music to store as you both do. I have some music stored on my iPad air 2, but not much. Maybe 4-5 albums and that's it. I tend to listen to a lot of podcasts and news talk radio. Love that. I am currently listen to a podcast called "serial" and it's super good! Anyways...even with my iPad 2 32 GB...it took about 3 years to that one up...so 64 GB is plenty plenty!

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 had 16 g, one year later gave it to my husband, since I didn't like sharing
iPad Air 16 g; the salesman tried to talk me into a 32.
Knew I didn't need that much. So wrong. Little music, no movies, lots of magazines, no room to manage updates.
64 g Air 2 now, husband has Air and grandson has my original iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts