16 or 32 gb ipad third generation for college student?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by justme0729, Mar 10, 2012.

1. vfontjr

vfontjr
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If they have a lot of music, go for the 64.

2. justme0729

justme0729
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    While I know that 32 would be the best, I think i will get the 16 as it can hold what I want it to do and then I don't have to pay 100 extra. Also, it seems like most of you say that I do not definately need 32, it would just be easier. I can always sell it and get another one if it becomes a terrible problem. Still open to suggestions as I probably wont order it until early summer/ late spring. Thanks!

3. DarrenUK

DarrenUK
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If you are not ordering until summer it would be wise to save up the extra $100 and get the 32gb.

4. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, I'd get the 64GB wifi if I were you. You can't expand the memory, so go for more than you need so you can have room. You can save text books, PDF papers, assignments, notes for all of your courses (I have PDF lectures and videos of my courses made available), magazines, etc, and you can refer back to them later on in other courses (too many students assume they don't need to review prior material, but that is a mistake). Sure, you can get by with 16GB if you train yourself to, but why do that? Memory is cheap and having reference tools at hand is a great benefit. Make the device your tool for study throughout your college career. Also get a blue-tooth keyboard & stylus and be sure to get free cloud storage accounts, via dropbox, sugarsync, skydrive, etc. There are some useful apps out there too and you should take advantage of them rather than just sticking to a "I don't use many apps rule", anything that can enhance your learning is a plus and a benefit of having the device. Frankly, when you consider the cost of your education and how important this is to your future, the extra $200 is chump change. Getting maximum use from your iPad will only be a plus. It's not really about what you need as it is about maximizing its potential benefit. This is not a silly expense for gaming..its a tool to help you be succesful. And yes, there will be time when you will want to play games and/or watch movies for stress relief and a needed distraction. The high-res screen should be a boon for student use. Best to you.

#14 AQ_OC, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  5. dhevans_6

dhevans_6
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    From someone who bought a 16gb wifi model last year and has run out of room, definitely go for a 32gb, at least.

I don't have movies nor video on mine, and run at about 5gb free (but half a photography shoot and that's filled with raw files).

I honestly didn't know how my usage would turn out but I use mine in my other day job (it pm) for note-taking. I use thinkbook, coupled with the apple keyboard and it's brilliant. For general phone messages and scribbles I have just got into penultimate (as it was on sale) with a box wave stylus. Personally for long meetings I think it would struggle. Thinkbook and the keyboard have been fine all day.

I also heavily use evernote, and despite having it on my android and my iPad, it's used much more on my iPad. It even does handwriting recognition on the scribbles I send it from penultimate! Genius!

Best of luck in your studies :)

6. justme0729

justme0729
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thank you everyone...I think I will now definately go for the 32. It isnt that much more to make sure you have enough. Good points AQOC and dhevans6!