16 GB vs 32 GB

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mwhartman, Nov 2, 2010.

1. GaurhothW

GaurhothW
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I saw a 900mb app the other day in the app store. I am sure it will not be the last or even the largest. Get what you can afford, but I would recommend the 32gb.

I was surprised how fast I filled up 12 of my 32gb and I have only had the ipad for a month :)

My wife's is a 16gb model, but she is a low tech user. She basically has a $500 Angry Birds and FlightControl box. ( I noticed she had landed 1200 planes in that game the other day. I am lucky if I make it to 100!!! )

2. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I think there are two types of users for the iPad. The first group (of which I include myself) uses the iPad around the house mainly for media consumption and the occasional game. I don't need much in the way of local storage because I can count on my various PCs to do the heavy lifting for me. It is easier to stream music and videos than to go through the hassle of using iTunes to transfer everything to my device. I also have an iPod Touch which is a much superior music device for me because I can strap it to my arm or put it in my pocket. I can use my Ipod at work but trying to use an iPad would probably be one step too far.

The second group uses the iPad as an "on-the-go" device, so local storage is much more important. You can't count on streaming from your home PC reliably on the road, and video files in particular eat up space quickly. There are of course other options for media storage if you are willing to jailbreak, but that is for another topic.

So, decide on how you are planning to use the device and buy accordingly.

3. mwhartman

mwhartman
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good analysis, Dave.

4. Wakawaka

Wakawaka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I have a 16gb 3G and it's enough space for me. I have about 1800 pictures, 500 songs, and have about 10gb left. It's too big for audio I think. Pefect for everything else.

Next time around I'm going with 32gb as my photo collection grows (got a puppy a few months ago)

5. kitakits

kitakits
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I'd go with the 64GB unit straight away..

6. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    16gb or 32gb... this is the issue that's been vexing me more than any other.

If I'm not much of a music downloader and I only want to upload (or hire) the odd film for a weekend away then I'd imagine that the 16gb should be enough?

7. Bass656

Bass656
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have always been a believer in buying as much storage/processor speed as is available, as this will tend to extend the realistic useful life of your hardware. With the iPad, our only option is the storage component. I bought the 64gb wifi version and received it on launch day and two days later I ordered the 64 gb 3G version. I find my self rarely using the 3G functionality, but it provides flexibility.

8. G.P

G.P
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Personally I would go with the 32gb. Especially if you're someone who upgrades yearly or bi-annually, 16gb is going to be a tough sell when the apps start getting bigger and bigger. It really does depend on the user though, and I think Dave above hit the nail on the head. How you plan to use it should determine how much space you think you'll need.

9. mwhartman

mwhartman
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I thank everyone that posted a reply. Your insights were very helpful. As I mentioned I have a MacBookPro that is almost a year old (4 GB ram & 250 GB HD). It is a fantastic device and I use it the entire day.

Now that I know I can transfer/swap eBooks and movies, I believe I will go with the 32 GB.

I'll let you know how things go.

Mike

10. G.P

G.P
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm not even sure I need to keep my entire music library with me at all times. I have songs that get repeated listening and ones which I haven't listened to in years. Same with pictures, asides from a few special pics do you really need 1,000 pictures on your Ipad, which will get looked at, what, once every several months( if that)?

It's nice to have your entire library with you at all times, but realistically, if you're smart about your storage space usage you 'could' conceivably get away with 16gb, unless this is a device that will be more on the road usage then in-home. It truly is about the individual user.