What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16 GB or 32 GB

HeyMac55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received an iPad 16 GB for my birthday. I was very thrilled about my gift, however, I have not taken it out of the sealed package yet because I am not sure if I want to get the 32 GB one instead. I don't really download movies too much, and I have a great iPod for all my music. Is it worth it to get the higher capacity iPad? I do want to download photos, PDFs, and ebooks on it. Please advise.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, without music and movies don't spend more on the 32GB. Open your present and start enjoying

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would return the ipad for full credit, and put up the $100 to upgrade to 32gb. You never know, with the storage space you just may start putting some movies or shows on there, or loading up on apps, in which case 16gb will run thin sooner than you'd like. Better to have too much space, than too little.....

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have the 64.gb as my basic daily use ..in my bad weather bag i have a 16.gb for my info for i need to give the insurance company all the info they need ..

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no such thing as too much storage. Unless the price for storage is way out of line. Come to think of it, this is Apple so that last statement is in play.

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted the 32GB originally but was waiting forever as they were always selling out, so I sucked it up and just got the 64GB instead. I have since filled a good chunk of that up with avi's (thanks Oplayer!), my music collection (15GB), apps (Navigon and Elements took a good chunk). I think 32GB would have been manageable, but for me personally 16GB would have been way to small.

Another option would be jailbreak the iPad, get the camera connection kit, use iFile from Cydia and use SD cards to store extra data like movies and the like.

KILLERkpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go big or go home...I thought the same thing as you, until I got to see one. I never really watch Ipod Movies anymore, they are on my iPad now.:)

cindy1985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for me, I will go for changing to the 32GB, maybe one day I want to use 32GB, for the future, I will go to change:)

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wish every day that I got a 32 or 64.

Even of you probably won't, you might. That is reason enough for me.

BeIIerophon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you plan to travel a lot with your iPad and u use it for multimedia, then i'd suggest as much storage as possible.

Good hotspots (with decent speeds) are still hard to find, and unlimited data plans aren't what they are suppose to be. So, only way to be sure you can access your data everywhere you go is to pack it with you.

I have 32GB Wifi version. And i'd say it's enough for a good portion of music and movies. I just miss 3G, and that is why i'll sell it in near future and then buy 32GB 3G version.

OP
H

HeyMac55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still Undecided

Okay, I have about 9 days left to return my 16 GB iPad for the 32 GB if I so choose. I know, I'm wasting all this time where I could be enjoying my iPad. I just want to make sure I am not disappointed I didn't get the 32 if I open the 16. And yet, some of you are telling me if I don't download movies or put tons of music on it that I don't need the 32. Even the manager at the Apple store said to just go with the 16 because that is what he had and is perfectly happy with it. He said to save the $100.00. I was surprised he didn't try to sell me the more expensive unit.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I have about 9 days left to return my 16 GB iPad for the 32 GB if I so choose. I know, I'm wasting all this time where I could be enjoying my iPad. I just want to make sure I am not disappointed I didn't get the 32 if I open the 16. And yet, some of you are telling me if I don't download movies or put tons of music on it that I don't need the 32. Even the manager at the Apple store said to just go with the 16 because that is what he had and is perfectly happy with it. He said to save the $100.00. I was surprised he didn't try to sell me the more expensive unit.

Look at it this way, once you get into the ipad, you may pick up new habits, whether it be downloading movies in a way you haven't before, or wanting to put your favorite tv shows on there to carry around. Or.... seeing all the awesome aps and decide you want to load up on them. I think getting the 32 or 64 is just a safer purchase, in terms of having the peace of mind that you won't run out of space 'too' soon. Besides, the 16gb was a gift to you, it's minimal cost to upgrade to the 32. I would think this more of a dilemma if you were buying it yourself, hell if someone gave me a 16gb for a gift the first thing I'd do is upgrade to the 64....

irwaffles

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have a couple of friends who work at Apple, and they tell me that they are taught not to upsell anything and to just do their best to help out the customer, the products sell themselves the employees aim to give you a good purchasing experience.

As for the storage, I had the same question. I thought that 16 was going to be just fine, but my iPhone was a 16gb model and it was almost full (like 12gb filled or something like that) with just apps and music. I knew I wanted to store more documents and that I might develop a habit of storing videos (which I did) so I opted for the 32gb model. I stored media sparingly so that I wouldn't overload the iPad, but after a month I noticed I had plenty of room to put in a lot more media, so I did. I like being able to store more data so that I'm not constantly rationalizing what can go into my iPad, so I didn't regret the extra $100.

Most reactions

Latest posts