What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16, 32 or 64 gigs?

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:confused:

I know this is probably a ridiculous question, but humor me for just a moment. I am leaning toward getting just the 16gb, but the Nervous Nelly in me worries that nothing but the 64gb model will do. Why? Because "What if?", that's why.

So - could you persuade me why you think 64gb is absolutely essential, I'd be an idiot to get less OR would you have a better argument that 16gb is plenty?

More data: I am an app FREAK, I love them all. So ahead of time I created an iTunes library, and downloaded every iPad app I might ever want and I haven't even cracked 4 gigs yet.

I have an iPod already, and I have all my music and podcasts on that. Unless there's a compelling reason to have them on the iPad, I'll just keep them there.

Thank you all so much - I appreciate any advice!

PS - money is not part of my decision making, BUT - if I spend less on the iPad, I could maybe get a new camera.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16 Gb. and find it way too small. My 32 Gb capacity on the iPhone is good for me.

You say that you are an app freak, but in 4 Gb, you have everything you can imagine... Either a) you are not an app freak, or b) you will accumulate a lot more. I have several thousand apps, and if you like gaming at all - things like Puzzle Quest, Chaos Rings, many of the "find hidden object" adventures, and newer things take up 1 Gb themselves.

Movies are about 1 Gb / movie. Video can also take up quite a lot of space. I am constantly moving things onto and off of my iPad.

You can put a lot of photos and songs in 16 Gb, but again depending on your library size, are you going to be moving things back and forth.

So, for me a 32 Gb fits - just because I don't want to pay the extra money for the 64 Gb. Cost wise there you could either - buy a top of the line PC, or laptop, or you are a stones throw from having a Mac Air (if you gotta have Mac).

Also, gotta keep an eye on what is happening with Android tablets. It is possible that Apple gets left in the dust like what happened in the 80's if they continue to jam their "do it my way or take the highway" sort of approach to their app store. Ultimately, it is the software that will determine the winner, and Android is coming on strong...

OP
Nonie3234

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, wow - thank you! That is all very good advice.

I'm not much of a gamer, my apps are more of the geography, atlas, map and photo kind of apps. But, yeah - you are totally right, I'll probably accumulate more. I'd hate to have regret at my decision and wish I got more memory. I like your suggestion of 32 Gb. Sound like not too much, not too little.

I'm impressed at your number of apps. How long have you had your iPad?

Re: Android - yes, I've seen video of the Motorola Xoom, and - wow - that looks really cool, but I can't see myself going Andoid ever again.

I have an Android phone, and I do like the operating system and all, but I hate the way the memory is allocated. You can have a phone with 8 Gb of what they call "memory", but only 2 Gb is allocated for apps. No - really. Once you run out of that, you are screwed. And yes, they come with a memory card but no, you can't store apps on that. Unless the developer of that app allows it. And good luck with that.

I have an app called "Ghostify" that keeps track of apps I've had to delete because I ran out of space. In fact, when you uninstall an app, there is a poll - "Why are you deleting this app?" and one of the choices is "I need more space on my phone". In other words, I get the impression that it's a known issue.

Anyway - thanks again so much for some great advice!

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have to say, split the difference and get the 32. I was in the same position awhile back and got the 32 3G. I have a pretty large music library and over 100 apps and I am not even using half of my space. My 2 and a half cents....

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Nonie- well a large number of my apps are iPhone, so not all are iPad. I still have several hundred iPad only apps. And, size - wise, they are getting larger.

My friends that use a lot of video, etc, also are happy with the 32 Gb.

A couple of things to make things confusing - new technology every year, and within 1 or 2 years, you will likely want to get a newer version. So, you have to sort of look at the iPad like the old Palms or a cell phone - disposable.

I remember when the first hard drives came out - 10 MB, and EVERYONE said there would be NO WAY anyone would need that much space. Programs get bigger, graphics improve - needing more space. So, you will likely fill up your existing space, of whatever you get, and if you dont, the next time save some money and get a smaller drive.

These days, obsolescence is probably 3-4 years, usability is around 2 years, and like ability is about 1 year (until the next product comes out). How much can you afford?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you aren't going to load a bunch of music and movies, I don't see why the 16GB wouldn't be enough for you.

I don't have any music on my iPad, but I do load it up with movies whenever I travel, and with the space I have, I can load enough movies/shows to keep me entertained for a round trip between Japan and the US (roughly 12-13hr flight each way).

If you feel the extra space would be worthwhile, go for it, but the biggest eaters of space for most people is video and photos.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also recommend the 32gb. I got a refurb from Apple for $500 and have been very happy with it. As far as your issue with Android goes, rooting is your friend. I have 16gb on my Evo and it's about full with apps movies and pics. I can't ever imagine having an iOS phone, Android rocks! But iOS is superior on tablets IMO.

Most reactions

Latest posts