What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16-32-64gig....which size?!?!

rawdoggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i just ordered a white wifi 16gig on Sunday and i am starting to second guess my decision after i read that the 64gig makes up half of ipad sales. I would have thought the 16 would be the most popular because of price. This will be my first ipad so i am not really sure how much capacity i will need. I have a 16gig ipod touch right now that is always maxed out but 90% of that is music. I wont be storing music on the ipad but it just occurred to me that photos and apps could take up alot of space. Im no Ansel Adams so we're not talking rediculous amounts of photos and i assume that the ipad apps will take up a little more storage space(?).

Any of you who bought 16s now at full capacity and wish you had gotten a 32? Will i be ok with 16?

Or better yet post up your capacity and how much you are using and how it is used.

Thanks everyone!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Videos by far take up the lions share of space. The average ripped film is about 1.5 gb.

If all you basically use is apps, photos and music then 16 will be fine. It's just a case of managing your memory via iTunes syncing. If space is running low then sync off a few items to your computer.

On average 32 is the popular choice, but with management of your memory there's no reason why 16 won't suffice.

If you're that worried just amend your order. It's well worth the extra few bucks for a lot of peop,e.

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64GB model iPad 2. I have 134 apps installed with 6.2GB of space being used for them. I do store music on my iPad although truthfully with Pandora, I rarely use it. Photos are synced and stored on Picasa. If you are careful you can get by with 16GB. I couldn't see buying one with less than 32GB. This is the frustration of owning iDevices. You have to know when you buy how much space you are going to need for the life of the device. SD support would be nice. Oh well. Hope that helps.

Feanor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 16 Gb iPad 1. It's always had enough memory for me but then again I don't keep music or photos on it.

I am, however, also a keen amateur photographer. I never saw the iPad as a photographer's tool though until the recent release of the excellent Photosmith, which allows for seamless syncing with Lightroom.

Since my gf and I are always fighting over the iPad anyway, and since I need more memory for the massive 21MP files my Canon 5DII generates (and since it was my bday the other week) I have a 64Gb iPad 2 on order.

So basically, if you don't want lots of music and movies on your iPad and if you work with JPG instead of RAW photos, then 16 Gb will be fine. For RAWs you'll need more for sure.

(I can only fit about 500 photos, give or take depending on ISO setting, on my 16Gb card. I've only filled it up on a single shoot a few times but for going away for any length of time I would definitely need all the memory I can get.)

Last edited:

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine for video a lot, and 64GB does not go as far as you might think. ;) I could probably be happy with 32GB, but I'd spend more time moving files around. 16GB would not work for me, but as people are saying, it depends on how you will use it. One thing for sure, though, you can't add memory later.

Videos by far take up the lions share of space. The average ripped film is about 1.5 gb.

If all you basically use is apps, photos and music then 16 will be fine. It's just a case of managing your memory via iTunes syncing. If space is running low then sync off a few items to your computer.

On average 32 is the popular choice, but with management of your memory there's no reason why 16 won't suffice.

If you're that worried just amend your order. It's well worth the extra few bucks for a lot of peop,e.

OP
R

rawdoggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. A lot of really useful information for anyone trying to make a decision on what size to get. So here's my delima....

Any movies i watch will be streamed through Netflix, any music through Pandora and any photos through Flickr. And in this case the 16 gig will be plenty. But if I only get the wifi enabled ipad and not 3G, the ipad will essentially work great when in wifi but will be a paperweight outside of wifi...no movies, no music, no photos, no apps....so its either more storage for those no wifi moments or go for 16gig 3G

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I wouldn't rely on 3G for steaming or downloading. Outside of wifi it's certainly not a paperweight - you can use all your pre downloaded apps and other media, you just cant web browse and stream. And as mentioned, streaming on 3G isn't an option anyway really.

Ive got about 20 movies, 30 albums, 50 apps and around 50 photos on my 64 gb ad, and I'm about 1/2 way full.

Rokrdude2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. A lot of really useful information for anyone trying to make a decision on what size to get. So here's my delima....

Any movies i watch will be streamed through Netflix, any music through Pandora and any photos through Flickr. And in this case the 16 gig will be plenty. But if I only get the wifi enabled ipad and not 3G, the ipad will essentially work great when in wifi but will be a paperweight outside of wifi...no movies, no music, no photos, no apps....so its either more storage for those no wifi moments or go for 16gig 3G

Even if you don't travel a lot I still recommend atleast 32 gb simple reason being with the dual processor chips most of the good apps(designed specifically for ipad 2) are of sizes 700mb+. With 16gbs you need to constantly tranfer data using itunes which could be annoying

OP
R

rawdoggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't rely on 3G for steaming or downloading. Outside of wifi it's certainly not a paperweight - you can use all your pre downloaded apps and other media, you just cant web browse and stream. And as mentioned, streaming on 3G isn't an option anyway really.

Ive got about 20 movies, 30 albums, 50 apps and around 50 photos on my 64 gb ad, and I'm about 1/2 way full.

Good info. Thanks sjleworthy.

OP
R

rawdoggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Even if you don't travel a lot I still recommend atleast 32 gb simple reason being with the dual processor chips most of the good apps(designed specifically for ipad 2) are of sizes 700mb+. With 16gbs you need to constantly tranfer data using itunes which could be annoying

Yeah, i might have to call and have them change my order to a 32gb. Hopefully it wont delay my delivery date.

Feanor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rokrdude2 said:

Out of interest which apps are 700mb or more, apart from some games and wikipedia apps?? I have 10 Gb of apps but much of that is wasted with uncessary stuff I think.

Preacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 32 and it is about 80% full BUT, only because I have the entire first season of Justified stored on there to watch when I am bored. If not for that, I wouldn't ever fill it up. Same with my 32gb iPhone, it has never been more than half full and even then, it was mostly MP3s that I don't listen to that often.

OP
R

rawdoggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well...i went ahead and called and had them change it to a 32gb. Pushed the delivery date back a couple days but they threw in expedited shipping. I figured, you can only buy it once...

Most reactions