What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12w charger for ipad 2?

N3il

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Iv tried searching the web for this answer but i cant find the answer so iv registered here for help.

So i recently lost my original ipad 2 charger (left it in hotel) so i thought thats ok i will use my wifes ipad 4 charger for the mean time but it doesn't charge it fast enough????

If im browsing the web it will stay-on the same % but if i play games it loses charge!

Iv just bought another 12w charger without realising and this is the same....so do i have to stick with the 10w ipad 2 charger?

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all Iv tried searching the web for this answer but i cant find the answer so iv registered here for help. So i recently lost my original ipad 2 charger (left it in hotel) so i thought thats ok i will use my wifes ipad 4 charger for the mean time but it doesn't charge it fast enough???? If im browsing the web it will stay-on the same % but if i play games it loses charge! Iv just bought another 12w charger without realising and this is the same....so do i have to stick with the 10w ipad 2 charger? Thanks
Hi, N3il! Welcome to iPF!

According to this chart, your iPad should work with both chargers:

image-930787807.jpg

Apple Support

Try to switch cables if possible, maybe the one you're using is faulty.

OP
N

N3il

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the quick reply

Her charger is proper original one from new and it charges her ipad 4 with no problems.....

Im beginning to wonder if its my ipad battery?? Will be a bit of a coincident that this is happening as soon as i lost my original charger though. :(

OP
N

N3il

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried a few different cables to no avail... They either says not charging or its slow depending on which leads i use.....we have loads of apple products lol

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some games use a lot of juice. The iPad may charge slowly or not at all while they are being run. This is especially true if you have the screen brightness turned all the way up.

I've noticed that even reading a book with the screen brightness turned all the way up will slow charing to a crawl.

A 12W charger should be a little better than a 10W charger, but that's only a (theoretical) 20% increase in charging speed.

And before we get too crazy, we need to consider how big these batteries are and how thin they are to fit into an iPad's case. There is going to be a maximum 'safe' charge rate to prevent overheating and maybe even fire. Pretty much every case of an iOS device catching fire (few as there are) has been traced to an unapproved third party charger.

Apple has no other reason to limit the size of the charger or the charge rate. After all, 'and it charges in just one hour' would look fantastic on a spec sheet and get a lot of applause in a press release. But not as much as 'lasts for 10 hours', which is why we have what we have. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Of course, it's also possible you are having issues with your iPad. Let it run completely down, at least until you are getting low batter warnings. You can even let it shut itself down if you're not doing anything important. Won't hurt it any. Then let it charge all the way to 100% without interruptions. This re-calibrates the battery percentage reading. It wont' actually fix a problem with the battery itself, but it will help insure that you are at least seeing a closer representation of what is going on.

Good luck.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I doubt if the 12W charger will charge an iPad 2 any faster than a 10W charger. The device has to be designed to accept a charging current greater than 2.1 A for faster charging to occur.

Also, factors such as screen brightness and load (CPU/GPU) will impact how fast a device will charge while in use. Age of the battery will impact charging performance as well. Your best bet for fast charging is to not use the device while it is charging. The 12W charger should work just fine, but I would not expect faster charging for an iPad 2.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is true. The maximum charge rate is 'supposed' to be set by the device, not the charger. Whether there is any room for improved charging speed on an iPad 2 isn't something I've looked into. My iPhone 5, however, does charge somewhat faster on the iPad's charger than it does on it's own. Then again, it only takes about an hour for my iPhone to charge (guesstimate), so it doesn't matter much.

Why is 'supposed' in quotes? Because obviously something can go wrong if third party chargers can be blamed for causing iPhones to catch fire. Also obvious is that it is not just the charger that causes the problem, but a rare combination of things, or there would be a lot more iPhone fires. I understand the market in unapproved chargers and other iStuff accessories is big.

Last edited:
OP
N

N3il

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well thanks for all the replys! I very grateful

Iv had my ipad from new for over 2 years and have never had any issues with charging, so im going to assume the battery is probably the culprite.

I will try the complete drain and full charge to see if that will help but i doubt it will.

I think an upgrade is on the cards :D hehehehe

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my 12W OEM iPad Air charger with my iPad 2 and have had no problems. It doesn't charge any faster, though.

Most reactions

Latest posts