What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

128 GB iPad Available From Today

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we'll eventually wind up with a hybrid solution: really vital/frequently accessed data on wearable devices (thumb drives, SD cards, etc) and personal clouds: basically people accessing external drives at home via internet, rather than relying on someone else for cloud service. It requires a static IP address in most cases, but the fee's nominal (I think my ISP is $4/month) but it means I've got my own 2TB cloud, in addition to the 128GB card in my AirStash (which, tbh, is mostly videos and photos). Most personal cloud set-ups now come with Android/iOS apps to make them tablet/phone friendly as well.

I think hybrid solutions will continue as well.

For now, my husband has set up so we can stream some of our media from an NAS server, but I've not used it much outside of home. For when I want some extra movies away from home, I'm more likely to use SD cards with non-Apple devices, so that I don't need a connection.

I considered getting a Seagate portable hard drive when iPad first came about, but didn't like what I read and decided against adding to my load and charging routine. I might get one eventually if really needed. Meanwhile, I have a 3TB portable hard drive that's pretty small and light, which I sometimes bring from main home to vacation home, because we have laptops at both, but usually don't bother with.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well that's easy. Give your kids access to your photo accounts and/or have photos printed out, which doesn't preclude cloud use. You could back up photos to your system, too, and leave instructions in case of death.

Thanks, these are some good options to think about. Maybe I'll ask my kids what works best for them. Bobbi

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cmon apple you can do better than that why only 128gb while ipod classic already able 160gb :eek:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This problem is already solved.... you can get a portable wifi drive.

BTW, box.net is/was, giving away for FREE, 50 GB of cloud.

The cloud, IMO, is a mixed bag. I'm glad to have it on the one hand, since it makes my files available to me at home, work, or anywhere. A huge convenience. On the other hand, letting your stuff be on someone else's computer is a bit creepy. I'm always wondering if -- down the road -- something will pop up out of nowhere to bite me on the b... Frankly, everything about the internet is this way. We get a lot of stuff free, but at what long-term cost?

I agree on cloud storage and any other remote storage options. They are great and convenient. But then, you wonder....who can look at my stuff? Can they use it against me in some way? What if they go out of business? Just so many possible things to consider. Alls it's gonna take is one bad security breach or some post files for this cloud thing to blow up.

Most reactions

Latest posts