What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100 GB of Cloud storage for $0.99

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cool, how does this work when you need to retrieve the data for a restore or new device like on iTunes?

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cool, how does this work when you need to retrieve the data for a restore or new device like on iTunes? Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC using iPF

Yeah, edumacate us on how this works.....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My question is who is iDrive and why should I trust them? All that glitters is not gold.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My question is who is iDrive and why should I trust them? All that glitters is not gold.

Not a bad question to ask. Even companies that I do trust..... There's something scary about having all of ones stuff up in the cloud. That's why many of our most important backups are NOT in clouds. We have them on thumb drives, DVD, CD, whatever. I love the cloud concept but AQ brings up a good thinking point here.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Not a bad question to ask. Even companies that I do trust..... There's something scary about having all of ones stuff up in the cloud. That's why many of our most important backups are NOT in clouds. We have them on thumb drives, DVD, CD, whatever. I love the cloud concept but AQ brings up a good thinking point here.

Some good points here guys. Sure, Cloud is big, it's popular and it's here to stay. But I still ask myself if I am really happy to provide private and confidential information unless someone can clearly explain to me:
...Where are those servers located, that will hold my info, and what steps are taken to protect my privacy
...Who owns those servers, in which country etc
...How easy and to what extent can others access my info ie level of encryption. There are horrible hackers out there.
...So if there is a natural disaster and the servers, their node or any separate storage go down, what backup is there
...So who owns the backup machines, protocols etc for them
...It's accepted generally that most cloud services ask that you agree that info will be shared. With whom, how
Yeah, I have questions and plenty of doubts about storing stuff onto something I can't see or touch.
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Contra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadjunkies.net
I am always worried about something like that too does anybody know if you can actually build a cloud at home, your personal cloud on your own home computer with a large hard drive?

Sent from my iPad mini using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am always worried about something like that too does anybody know if you can actually build a cloud at home, your personal cloud on your own home computer with a large hard drive? Sent from my iPad mini using iPF
There is indeed a way of creating personal cloud storage.

We have a forum for Network Attached Storage.
http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/

This thread from the forum is about personal cloud storage. http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/74006-personal-cloud-storage.html

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am always worried about something like that too does anybody know if you can actually build a cloud at home, your personal cloud on your own home computer with a large hard drive?

I actually have my own cloud with 1TB of storage. The only problem is, when I try to use it when away from home, my ISP upload speeds make it a pain to use. It is too slow. If I'm away from home and I try to download something, then I'm faced with the 5 mbps uploads from my home ISP. For downloads, that is pretty slow. It's not a problem when I use someone elses cloud when at home because the uploads happen in the background and I never noticed the slow speed. But slow downloads suck.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"...Where are those servers located, that will hold my info, and what steps are taken to protect my privacy
...Who owns those servers, in which country etc"

It's perfectly safe. The servers are all in the basement of the White House...... :D

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I actually have my own cloud with 1TB of storage. The only problem is, when I try to use it when away from home, my ISP upload speeds make it a pain to use. It is too slow. If I'm away from home and I try to download something, then I'm faced with the 5 mbps uploads from my home ISP. For downloads, that is pretty slow. It's not a problem when I use someone elses cloud when at home because the uploads happen in the background and I never noticed the slow speed. But slow downloads suck.

So, I could just buy one of those 1 or 2 terabyte mini drives and use that, right? I was thinking of doing so. This is where having a USB slot on the iPad would be sweet. Just use good old San disk thumb drives. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, I could just buy one of those 1 or 2 terabyte mini drives and use that, right? I was thinking of doing so. This is where having a USB slot on the iPad would be sweet. Just use good old San disk thumb drives. :)

That's basically what I did. I have a pogoplug. It has usb 3 and slots for 2.5inch and 3.5 inch drives. You can hang a lot off of it.

Most reactions

Latest posts