What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$100 discount for Ipad vs new Ipad 2 which to choose?

BearsBairn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there,

Just about to buy my first Ipad.

I won't use the camera feature at all so that upgrade doesn't bother me and won't sway me either way.

Are the other differences worth paying for? Or should I take advantage of the $100 discount for the original version?

Any thoughts is appreciated.

Donna

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing besides the cams are dual core a5 processors and it lighter but that doesN'T mean squat really. I'm really starting to lean towards a REFURB ipad 1 16 gb+3g for 480 as opposed to a ipad 2 in general. I will know come friday. But if you played with a ipad you know iT moves extremely well already. The weight reduction is no biggie either as .3 really isn't noticeable. The real factor is the new software that will be ipad 2 only in a few short months. I say save money and get an ipad 1 and then go to ipad 3 next spring. With apple products are like sport cars, yeah you got stock leather seats and a sunroof but both us still have 350 hp. You see what im saying

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The weight reduction is no biggie either as .3 really isn't noticeable.
X3 on the analogy. Good one!
I disagree. When you're dealing with such a small weight (1.5 lb), shaving off nearly .3 pounds is pretty substantial.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ummm yeah but i will have mine in a bag or pouch as mine will travel with me everywhere(i.e. Walmart,my rn job,laundrymat,the toilet,business meeting,everywhere)

Quazie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I can say is that I have today bought my iPad with the £100 discount because I personally don't think the iPad 2 is worth an extra 100.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 for me, but because the lack of camera was the main reason I didn't buy an iPad 1.

If you don't need the camera for video calls, I'd save the money and go iPad 1. Being thinner and faster is nice, but probably not worth $100 unless you need the power to use iMovie or Garage Band type apps.

Last edited:

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same. Since the two biggest components are the incredible screen and iOS4. Also I heard when ios5 comes out ipad1 is supported. I would be surprised by anything less

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there,

Just about to buy my first Ipad.

I won't use the camera feature at all so that upgrade doesn't bother me and won't sway me either way.

Are the other differences worth paying for? Or should I take advantage of the $100 discount for the original version?

Any thoughts is appreciated.

Donna

I sold iPAD for a large electronic retail group ... I waited. I am giving the new one as a XMAS gift to my bride. She can't wait. Why not save $100 and just pick up the original iPAD. Simple ... iPAD@ is twice as fast, graphics performance is 9x better... it is easier to handle, thinner and lighter ... very desirable. The dual cores can run the new stuff coming, and needs better graphics, The two cameras are nice ... we all like to share our lives with family and friends in far away places ... presentations and mirroring are super important in educational and business circles. Yet the same fantastic battery life of 10 hours. iMOVIE and GarageBand need the extra performance. If you want to start with iPAD ... get used to it, then sell it for the better one... that 's okay. You may lose a few bucks, but the new one is phenominal. Just my opinion. Im a geeky guy, with years of desktop publishing experience, and I've built lots of computers. iPAD2 would be my choice.

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have experience using the iPad then you know that your dual core processor is going to be bored shitless unless you want to run the newest race car game, or edit a movie you shot with your clipboard sized camera.

"iPad2, Play That New Race Car Game"

EDIT: GarageBand does not require ipad2 guy, neither does any of the incredible synthesizer composers currently available (music studio etc)
I don't think you are as informed as you think you think you are as informed as

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Davebarrie said:
If you have experience using the iPad then you know that your dual core processor is going to be bored shitless unless you want to run the newest race car game, or edit a movie you shot with your clipboard sized camera.

"iPad2, Play That New Race Car Game"

EDIT: GarageBand does not require ipad2 guy, neither does any of the incredible synthesizer composers currently available (music studio etc)
I don't think you are as informed as you think you think you are as informed as

Right...can we get a translation of that last bit >.> come off your high horse, yeh?

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Talking about musicstudio / reeldirector. Money on those beating out apple's offerings come 4.3

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
your dual core processor is going to be bored shitless unless you want to run the newest race car game, or edit a movie you shot with your clipboard sized camera.
Wow...that's a bit silly.

To repost:
Jeff Carlson in TidBITS wrote
"According to one Apple staffer I spoke with, the Safari improvements should be significant. Not just due to the JavaScript engine, but because the dual-core A5 does a good job of splitting up load tasks: one core handles text/HTML, the other core handles images, etc."

Developers are already talking about exploiting the new hardware and ram, but if you're prejudiced you won't bother to read.

Most reactions

Latest posts