What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10-foot charge cables

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do those 10-foot cables take a lot longer to charge an iPad and iPhone? I have a couple and they sure seem to take a lot longer than the shorties.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They might. More cable means more resistance and fewer amps to charge with. That could be overcome by thicker cables (conductors) but ti the cable is as thin as the original, there's bound to be some loss. How much? I don't know. I'd need the actual cable (or specs), some testing (or specs), and a bit of math to make a decent guess.

The bigger questions is whether you are using the original power supply. Most computers, and third party power supplies that are not designed for the iPads, have a lower power output and take longer to charge (if they work at all).

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes I bought it for $5 and connect it to the original adapter but it even say not charging although actually charging so little it would take more than double amount of time :ipad-keyboard:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried a namebrand cable and found it slower, no matter whether I used the OEM Apple wall wart or my Griffin PowerBlock, which charges faster than the 10W OEM wall wart. So I just went with an extension cord instead.

I've read that some long cables can match the charge time of the OEM cable, but I don't know which ones and I didn't bother looking into it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question.... Why bother extending the cable... It makes no sense to do it. The longer the cable the less the charge

For me, I wanted to charge near a couch, but the outlet was too far away. An extension cord solved that for me.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry meant for op. adding extension cords usually lowers voltage thus longer time

Colin
iPad forums Administrator

I've not noticed added time, but I'm using a power extension cord, into which I plug my wall wart. I went with the extension cord because I noticed that charge time was slow when I tried a longer cable plugged into my wall warts.

Most reactions