1.5 GB enough?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by MunyKen, Jun 20, 2012.

1. MunyKen

MunyKen iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Okay so I have a 3G+wifi iPad 2 ...since iPad's already come unlocked i plan on getting the tmobile 1.5gb data only plan for $25 a month. I need to know if this enough. I'm always connect to the wifi when I'm at home but this summer I'm going to be on the road a lot and I'm basically going to be tethering my iPhone 4 Internet to my iPad so I just basically need this plan for emergencies like if my iPad is lost or stolen I can track it because that's what happened to my last iPad but I couldn't track it through Find my iPhone because it wasn't connected to the Internet. So basically when I'm out away from home I'm tethering my Internet from my iphone to my iPad so will this work? And since I don't have to unlock& jailbreak my iPad for tmobile will it be on edge 3G or 4g or watever? Thanks in advanced!
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,423 / 1
    Unless you choose to steam movies and music, download large amounts of files, or use other bandwidth hogs while on 3G, you should be more than fine with 1.5GB. Web browsing (normal non-streaming sites) and email don't take much).

Hold in mind that due to T-Mobile's frequencies you'll only be getting EDGE (not 3G). This is a relatively slow connection; good only for email and very patient people when browsing websites; especially graphic intensive websites. Low bandwidth apps like Twitter (and to some extent FaceBook) should do fine.

As an emergency only connection, you should be good. I wouldn't buy it for any other reason, no matter how much cheaper it may be over the usual AT&T/Apple plans. Which, by the way start at $15 for 250MB, but can be upgraded at any time if you need the extra, right on the iPad. I consider that a better choice as an emergency (probably not going to use it much) connection. Especially since you can also cancel it (when summer is over) also from the iPad.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  3. Sonia ferdous

Sonia ferdous iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It will depend on your usage and which things you want to do. But if it's just for websites and Facebook it will be good enough.
  4. Forhad

Forhad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    As you said you will have a light use while you are on road, I think 1.5 Gb is enough for you.
  5. MunyKen

MunyKen iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thanks! And I hear that tmobile will be changing over to a new service or whatever so iDevices will soon be able to be on tmobiles 3G/4G service? Is this true?
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,423 / 1
    A month or so ago there was some news about T-Mobile getting some spectrum from AT&T that would work with the iPad/iPhone in 3G. If and when that will actually happen, I don't know.
  7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,423 / 1
    Maybe I imagined the AT&T deal.

It now appears that Verizon and T-Mobile are working on a spectrum swap deal that will give T-Mobile LTE compatibility with the iPad (presumably only the Verizon models).

No guarantee this will go though, of corse, and it'd likely to be months in the future if it does.
  8. happy123

happy123 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it is enough for you to use on the road,but if you want to do more other things,it may be not enough.For the tmobile,I think you can ask them for more information!