Separate names with a comma.
Don't know what I managed to do, but in the course of deleting email accounts, and starting them back up from scratch, the problem was taken care of.
But it works just fine from some wifi. Just not from others.
The weird thing is that I had no problems with the work wifi until today. MY email all worked fine before.
IO don't have 3G on my iPad.
I set my iPad to the same exact settings as my phone, which can send and receive mail just fine.
Still having problems!
All was fine until today.
I have 4 email accounts on the iPad - one exchange account, 2 gmails, one university account (outlook based).