There are 2 ways that you can transfer camera photos and footage to new iPad/iPad 2/iPad 1st gen.
1. Back up camera photos and footage to computer and then copy/sync to iPad.
What it requires: the USB cables that comes with the camera and the iPad device, camera, iPad, your computer with iTunes installed.
1) Connect the camera/camcorder with computer with the USB cable that comes with the camera.
If the device does not shows up as an external drive on your computer, check if you have turned up the camera/camcorder and if there's message on your device for USB connection. If you have a card reader, remove the memory card and insert the card in the card reader. It's easier for you computer to read photos from a card reader.
2) Open the camera as an external drive and back up photos and videos to computer.
Photos are generally saved in the DCIM folder, videos in another folder. If you're running Mac OS, it's better to copy everything to hard drive.
3) Connect your iPad to computer with the USB cable that comes with the device.
iPad must be turned on and unlocked during connection.
4) Open up iTunes. Click on the iPad icon in the left-hand column.
5) Find "Manually manage music and videos" and check the box. Now iPad is connected as an USB drive. Drag and drop your source videos to iPad.
Note: Your iPad does not support all kinds of videos. Check iPad supported formats before transferring movies. If the video format(s) is not compatible with iPad, convert them to H.264 mp4 with Pavtube Video Converter. Having a problem syncing videos to iPad? Try your luck at iPad Video Specials for information.
2. Transfer camera photos and footage to iPad directly
What it requires:iPad with the USB cable that came with the device, camere with USB cable, iPad Camera Connection Kit - an additional accessory sold separately by Apple.
iPad Camera Connection Kit:
1) Insert the SD Card Reader or Camera Connector, included in the iPad Camera Connection Kit, into the iPad dock connector.
2) Unlock iPad, and the Photos app opens and displays the photos and videos that are available for importing.
3) Select the photos and videos you want to import.
To import all the items: Tap Import All. To import just some of the items: Tap the ones you want to include (a checkmark appears on each), tap Import, then select Import Selected.
4) Disconnect the SD Card Reader or Camera Connector.
After the photos are imported, keep or delete the photos and videos on the card or camera, .
What kind of photos and footage can be imported to iPad: standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW, along with SD and HD video formats, including H.264 and MPEG-4.
What kind of photos and footage are not supported: videos in MPEG2 (.mpg), AVCHD (.mts, .m2ts), MXF, MOD, TOD, etc.
Workaround with unsupported/unregonizable videos: go with the 1st way and convert the videos to H.264 .mp4/.mov format.