Comparing with iPad 2 and iPad 3, the iPad Mini is much lighter and more portable, and itís still a decent multi-media player Ė the Mini supports up to 1080p Full HD movies. And watching videos on the iPad Mini is a pleasant thing. Since watching online videos bites up your data usage, itís better to download some movies onto iPad Mini for viewing when go without Wi-Fi network.
What do you need to transfer/put videos to iPad Mini
1. Local computer (PC or Mac) with iTunes latest version installed.
2. The iPad Dock Connector to USB Cable (that comes in your iPad Mini box).
How to put 1080p HD Videos to iPad Mini
To download/put local videos to iPad Mini, make sure
1. You have added the videos to iTunes movie library. The latest version of iTunes supports up to 1080p HD video in .MP4, .MOV .M4V and .AVI format. (Note: some AVI files need to be encoded to MJPEG before they are able to be recognized by iTunes.)
2. You have connected iPad Mini with computer (Windows/Mac).
In the iTunes, select and sync HD videos to iPad Mini. Click for a step-by-step guide of how to sync videos from iTunes to iPad.
How to play synced HD Videos on iPad Mini
1. On home screen of your iPad Mini, find Video icon, tap it.
2. The iPad Mini then takes you to the video library, where your movies are saved. Browse and select a movie to play.
The stock player of iPad Mini supports up to 1080p full HD videos in several formats. Below are details for your reference.
Video formats supported by iPad Mini:
- H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
- MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
Troubleshooting for syncing and playing videos on iPad Mini
1. Failed adding 1080p MKV/AVI/WMV/MPG/VOB/MOV/TiVo/MTS videos to iTunes or syncing videos iPad Mini.
Convert the 1080p videos into iPad Mini preferred H.264 .MP4 video. Get an iPad Video Converter here. Follow this guide to convert videos for iPad Mini.
2. Canít connect iPad to iTunes/Computer.
When you connect your iPad to your computer, an iPad icon should appear in iTunes in the left column under Devices. But if it doesnít, this troubleshooting assistant can help:
- Update iTunes
- Restart iPad
- Recharge iPad
- Check USB connections
- Restart computer
- Reinstall iTunes (for Windows PC)
- Resolve third-party software conflicts
3. Canít play MPEG/VOB/MKV/FLV videos on iPad Mini
The default stock player does not support all these formats. Basically MPEG/VOB/MKV/FLV videos can not be added to iTunes and therefore synced to iPad, but you may get these videos from email attachment and video hosting sites. To play these videos, go to iTunes store and download a universal media player.