The Playbook... Not so bad after all...
This is a discussion on The Playbook... Not so bad after all... within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; My sister just got her own tablet... A Blackberry Playbook!
I was a bit shocked as it got so many bad reviews, I would have ...
My sister just got her own tablet... A Blackberry Playbook!
I was a bit shocked as it got so many bad reviews, I would have gone with a Galaxy Tab or a Xoom instead. She was looking for a tablet that could do Flash, was light and not as big as the iPad, meaning a 7 inches screen.
Anyway, I played with it for a few minutes, and I found it quite pleasant. There is no mail app, but that's coming in the next upgrade 2.0 in a few weeks. But my sister just uses the browser to get to her hotmail account, as she does on a desktop. The touch screen is quite responsive, a little bit slower than on my iPad, but not that much. And of course, I tried a few sites with Flash content and they worked really well.
- screen size is too small for me
- thus keyboard size is also too small for my fingers
- a bit heavy for the format. IPad weight 600g and the Playbook is at 681g...
- missing apps or functionalities but a lot of those issues should be solved by the next OS upgrade
- webpages loading time is a bit slower than I expected
- screen looks amazing, rich colors. Better than my iPad 1
- navigation between apps is way better than the iPad... iOS 5 should help with the new gestures...
- integrated HDMI output
- USB interface seems more efficient and more open than the iPad
- hardware does not feel cheap, feels sturdy and of good quality
- keyboard layout is way better than the iPad
I'll try to have more time to play with that new toy and get back with a more detailled review of this device. But for now, I would be more attracted to the Playbook than any Android tablet I've tried so far. The iPad still wins for me as there is more apps, and it's does everything I want it to do. But if RIM does the right thing, the Playbook could be a serious adversary to the iPad. Future will tell...
Oh, yeah, the Playbook is 499$ for 16g, as the iPad 2 is currently at 519$, so not a big difference...
It's a pretty neat device. Let's hope that future OS upgrade will make up of the lack of apps...
Last edited by DrHouse; 08-20-2011 at 09:56 AM.
iPhone 4S 16Gigs 5.01
iPad 1 16 Gigs Wifi 5.01
Canada / Rogers
08-20-2011 09:48 AM
By Skieblade in forum iPad 2 Forum
Last Post: 05-08-2011, 03:02 PM
By Tapmyapple in forum Off-Topic
Last Post: 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM
By Tapmyapple in forum iPad 2 Forum
Last Post: 04-19-2011, 12:23 AM
By Sonny Burnett in forum iPad General Discussions
Last Post: 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
By Maura in forum Apple iPad News
Last Post: 10-05-2010, 02:05 AM
Search tags for this page
bad about playbook
blackberry playbook not bad
how bad is playbook
how bad is the playbook
playbook is bad
playbook is not bad
playbook that bad
what is bad about playbook
whats bad about the playbook
why is the playbook better so bad
Click on a term to search for related topics.