Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Food anyone?

This is a discussion on Food anyone? within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Originally Posted by stranding Kay--I agree with leelai, crumpets are nothing like "English muffins". I've had both and they seem similar to me, lol. I'm ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 300 of 545 FirstFirst ... 200 250 290 298 299 300 301 302 310 350 400 ... LastLast
Results 2,991 to 3,000 of 5443
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: Food anyone?

  1. #2991
    iPad Wizard
    Member #
    49745
    Liked
    440 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by stranding View Post

    Kay--I agree with leelai, crumpets are nothing like "English muffins".
    I've had both and they seem similar to me, lol. I'm not saying they're the same thing. (I mentioned earlier that the closest North American equivalent to a crumpet is an English muffin.)


    I'm apparently not alone in drawing the comparison:

    << The English muffin as it is known in the United States more closely resembles a crumpet than the muffin produced in Britain in that it has holes on the upper surface. In both cases this is due to the fact that a batter rather than a dough is used resulting in bubbles of gas, produced by the leaven, breaking the surface as the cake cooks. The muffin dough used in Britain is slightly firmer in texture preventing this from occurring. Other than moisture content, there is little difference between a muffin dough and a crumpet batter. >>

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin_(English)
    Last edited by Kaykaykay; 08-08-2012 at 10:46 AM.

  2. Ads


  3. #2992
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    217476
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bampton, Oxon, UK
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykaykay

    I've had both and they seem similar to me, lol. I'm not saying they're the same thing. (I mentioned earlier that the closest North American equivalent to a crumpet is an English muffin.)

    I'm apparently not alone in drawing the comparison:

    << The English muffin as it is known in the United States more closely resembles a crumpet than the muffin produced in Britain in that it has holes on the upper surface. In both cases this is due to the fact that a batter rather than a dough is used resulting in bubbles of gas, produced by the leaven, breaking the surface as the cake cooks. The muffin dough used in Britain is slightly firmer in texture preventing this from occurring. Other than moisture content, there is little difference between a muffin dough and a crumpet batter. >>

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin_(English)
    How very odd! Holes in muffins? Interesting.
    Obviously there are more differences between them than we know here. Which makes the names even more confusing!

    And to muddy the waters, the word "crumpet" here also means ... errmm...look here:
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bit_of_crumpet
    IPad3, 16gb, PC Win7, S.Galaxy Note.
    Oxfordshire, UK.
    Split plies, not hairs.
    Shaun the sheep or M*A*S*H or Tangerine Dream or possibly Queen for King...

  4. #2993
    iPad Wizard
    Member #
    49745
    Liked
    440 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by stranding View Post
    How very odd! Holes in muffins? Interesting.
    Obviously there are more differences between them than we know here. Which makes the names even more confusing!

    What I notice from traveling and trying many foods: There are many variations of the same foods, even within a country or a culture, much less among countries.

    I consider myself allied to no food culture: I'll eat whatever is good, whenever I like, lol. So I'll have a crumpet no matter the season or time of day, if I feel like it. I don't see need to compartmentalize food. Yesterday, I had fondue for breakfast, and I often have dessert first, lol.

  5. #2994
    iPad Wizard
    Member #
    49745
    Liked
    440 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    I was curious about crumpets and winter, so went searching. It looks like it might be because they were traditionally toasted by the fire.

  6. #2995
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    217476
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bampton, Oxon, UK
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykaykay

    What I notice from traveling and trying many foods: There are many variations of the same foods, even within a country or a culture, much less among countries.

    I consider myself allied to no food culture: I'll eat whatever is good, whenever I like, lol. So I'll have a crumpet no matter the season or time of day, if I feel like it. I don't see need to compartmentalize food. Yesterday, I had fondue for breakfast, and I often have dessert first, lol.
    Mmm. I see. A Food Anarchist:-)

    But I'm with you. I'm one of those who don't have to worry about too much intake, but the complete opposite. Plus the basic rules of nutrition.

    Most of the time, I don't eat & it's a luxury to be hungry...yeah, sounds very odd but true. So anything I fancy, whenever that is, might get eaten. If I can be bothered.

    But all that annoys others intensely. Completely understandable. So just between us two, then? Can't face the hate mail...
    :-):-):-)

    What's fondue? Cheese?

    Edit: Agree to the toasting crumpets by the fire. Seems logical that was the original reason.
    Last edited by stranding; 08-08-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    IPad3, 16gb, PC Win7, S.Galaxy Note.
    Oxfordshire, UK.
    Split plies, not hairs.
    Shaun the sheep or M*A*S*H or Tangerine Dream or possibly Queen for King...

  7. #2996
    Moderator
    Member #
    50404
    Liked
    448 times
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bromley, Kent
    Posts
    7,533
    Quote Originally Posted by stranding

    How very odd! Holes in muffins? Interesting.
    Obviously there are more differences between them than we know here. Which makes the names even more confusing!

    And to muddy the waters, the word "crumpet" here also means ... errmm...look here:
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bit_of_crumpet
    The current TV advert for butter and starring Johnny Rotten plays on the definition

    Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

    Brought to you from my super iPad3 - used as from 03/10/12
    Richard M Brown
    Bromley, Kent, UK


    Please read the forum rules: http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  8. #2997
    iPad Wizard
    Member #
    49745
    Liked
    440 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by stranding View Post
    Mmm. I see. A Food Anarchist:-)

    But I'm with you. I'm one of those who don't have to worry about too much intake, but the complete opposite. Plus the basic rules of nutrition.

    Most of the time, I don't eat & it's a luxury to be hungry...yeah, sounds very odd but true. So anything I fancy, whenever that is, might get eaten. If I can be bothered.

    But all that annoys others intensely. Completely understandable. So just between us two, then? Can't face the hate mail...
    :-):-):-)

    What's fondue? Cheese?

    Edit: Agree to the toasting crumpets by the fire. Seems logical that was the original reason.

    Fondue: Fondue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    It's hard to imagine being in your place -- not feeling hungry or "bothering" with food. I find food glorious.

    I lucked out with metabolism, but am getting older and should eat more healthily, but "should" isn't the same as doing it, lol.

  9. #2998
    Moderator
    Member #
    50404
    Liked
    448 times
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bromley, Kent
    Posts
    7,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brown

    The current TV advert for butter and starring Johnny Rotten plays on the definition

    Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings
    Here is the ad on UTube.

    Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

    Brought to you from my super iPad3 - used as from 03/10/12
    Richard M Brown
    Bromley, Kent, UK


    Please read the forum rules: http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  10. #2999
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    217476
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bampton, Oxon, UK
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brown

    Here is the ad on UTube. YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4pHiSii7wA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings
    Wonderful! That's crumpets to a T. With butter.....& presented to you by a dutiful wife:-)
    It does occur to me that tipping it up vertically as he does at the end probably isn't such a good idea!!!

    Hadn't seen that. A good reason for not skipping past ALL the ads. There are some very good ones around.
    IPad3, 16gb, PC Win7, S.Galaxy Note.
    Oxfordshire, UK.
    Split plies, not hairs.
    Shaun the sheep or M*A*S*H or Tangerine Dream or possibly Queen for King...

  11. #3000
    Moderator
    Member #
    50404
    Liked
    448 times
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bromley, Kent
    Posts
    7,533
    Quote Originally Posted by stranding

    Wonderful! That's crumpets to a T. With butter.....& presented to you by a dutiful wife:-)
    It does occur to me that tipping it up vertically as he does at the end probably isn't such a good idea!!!

    Hadn't seen that. A good reason for not skipping past ALL the ads. There are some very good ones around.
    Except for Gabe who would miss his chin

    Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

    Brought to you from my super iPad3 - used as from 03/10/12
    Richard M Brown
    Bromley, Kent, UK


    Please read the forum rules: http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Dishfinders 2.0 iPad app - food review and restaurant finder
    By BeOriginal in forum iPad for Foodies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 12:53 PM
  2. FreezerView - never throw out food again!
    By mortendall in forum iPad App Announcements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 12:56 AM
  3. Frash 4.2.1 food error
    By Dr.Gee in forum iPad Hacking
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 12:46 AM
  4. iPad Entry Level Point of Sales System For Food Services
    By Sonny Burnett in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 03:12 PM

Search tags for this page

canadian dish called poutine
,

chays filipino cuisine

,

filipino food wallpaper

,

food

,

food anyone

,
french dressing
,
gogle
,
wagon wheel snack food
Click on a term to search for related topics.