Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Thinking about getting an iPad....

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting an iPad.... within the New Member Introductions - Site Assistance forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; As the title suggests I am thinking about getting an iPad. I currently own an Android based tablet, a Motorola Xoom, and whilst I am ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Thinking about getting an iPad....

  1. #1
    mitasol
    Guest

    Thinking about getting an iPad....

    As the title suggests I am thinking about getting an iPad. I currently own an Android based tablet, a Motorola Xoom, and whilst I am very happy with it there are some apps that I have seen that are only available for iPad, predominantly newspapers and magazines, so I am starting to consider buying one. I'm tossing up whether to get a 3G/4G version or wifi only - my Xoom is wifi only and I connect to a hotspot that my mobile phone runs (a Samsung Galaxy S) - would this be an option with the iPad? I'm sure I will have other questions so please bear with me

    Scott

  2. Ads

  3. #2
    iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    193958
    Liked
    26 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alba
    Posts
    399
    Hi there, I had an android tablet and whilst it was very good, the apps were rubbish compared to those on offer from iOS.

    I now have a wi-fi iPad and use my Galaxy S2 to provide a hotspot when I need one.
    mitasol likes this.

    CLOSING APPS: If an app has stopped responding or closes on launch, try the following: * Home screen * click the Home button twice * Tap and hold on the app * When it jiggles, tap the (-) to close it * Double-click the Home button and re-open the app



  4. #3
    iPF Super Guru
    Member #
    189057
    Liked
    93 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    3,536
    Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us. If you have any questions, the Search feature will be your best friend. If that doesn't work, just wait someone will be around with the answers you seek. With over 200,000 members I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

    While you're *looking around *here are a few links you may find useful.

    We have an iPad manual available for download incase you ever need it.
    Apple - Support - Manuals

    Did you know we have our own App - Its pretty easy to use.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8

    We also have a gaming section. There is bound to be something there you like.
    iPad Games
    iPad Game Specific

    Last but not least. Everyone has to play by the rules here. Please read them and keep them in mind when you post. Forum rules - everybody please read!!

    Again Welcome and We hope you Enjoy Your Time Here!

    Fleur

  5. #4
    mitasol
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by followthesapper View Post
    Hi there, I had an android tablet and whilst it was very good, the apps were rubbish compared to those on offer from iOS.

    I now have a wi-fi iPad and use my Galaxy S2 to provide a hotspot when I need one.
    Thanks, that just answered my question! Time to do some more reading and searching here, then it will be shopping time

  6. #5
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    175164
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Omaha nebraska
    Posts
    165
    i think ipad is good investment portable light clean interface i know you have owned a tablet before but the ipad will make you think why did i buy this android tablet
    loving my iPad 2 jailbroken

    sent using iPF app

  7. #6
    Administrator
    Member #
    48665
    Liked
    946 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    23,479
    Hi and welcome to the Forum!

    Another reason for getting a 3G/4G is to have true GPS ability. As the chip is built into the iPad itself there is no need to have a charged iPad sim to use it and the size of the screen is just brilliant for this! Just another thought!

    2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gener...dont-know.html
    iOS5 Tips and Tricks

    Enjoy!

    Please read the Forum Rules
    iPad Air 128gb Wifi/Cellular - iPad 2 64gb Wifi/Cellular - iPad Mini 32gb Wifi/Cellular - iPhone 5 - Apple TV - MacBook Pro 15" - Time Capsule - Airport Express

  8. #7
    mitasol
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leelai View Post
    Hi and welcome to the Forum!

    Another reason for getting a 3G/4G is to have true GPS ability. As the chip is built into the iPad itself there is no need to have a charged iPad sim to use it and the size of the screen is just brilliant for this! Just another thought!

    2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gener...dont-know.html
    iOS5 Tips and Tricks

    Enjoy!
    I have so many GPS devices it isn't funny, my phone, my car and my Garmin Nuvi 255! So I take it that the non 3/4G doesn't have GPS functionality, or did I read that wrong?

    Yes I have discovered those threads and am eagerly digesting the wealth of information in them

    thanks

    Scott

  9. #8
    mitasol
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp1216 View Post
    i think ipad is good investment portable light clean interface i know you have owned a tablet before but the ipad will make you think why did i buy this android tablet
    I had a "play" with my mothers iPad 2 and was impressed with the interface.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    37823
    Liked
    748 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cranbrook, Kent, UK
    Posts
    17,132
    Quote Originally Posted by mitasol

    I have so many GPS devices it isn't funny, my phone, my car and my Garmin Nuvi 255! So I take it that the non 3/4G doesn't have GPS functionality, or did I read that wrong?

    Yes I have discovered those threads and am eagerly digesting the wealth of information in them

    thanks

    Scott
    That is correct, only 3G and 4G iPads have GPS functionality.......although there are add-ons for the wifi only (such as the Bad Elf) which provide GPS for a wifi only iPad.

    The Archangel

  11. #10
    Administrator
    Member #
    198647
    Liked
    81 times
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    4,220
    Hello and welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision...


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking about getting an ipad 2
    By megalosdog in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 10:16 AM
  2. PC Guy Thinking ipad 2 (?'s)
    By chesterdawg in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
  3. thinking of getting an ipad
    By bwells in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 07:28 AM
  4. Thinking about my ipad
    By ferr5175 in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM
  5. Thinking about getting an iPad
    By freeman3030 in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Search tags for this page

thinking about getting an ipad

,

thinking of getting an ipad

Click on a term to search for related topics.