Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

My ipad seems to get slow after upgrading to ios5.

This is a discussion on My ipad seems to get slow after upgrading to ios5. within the New Member Introductions - Site Assistance forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Hi All, I'm new here......have also experienced terrible performance after upgrading to iOS5, in fact the upgrade process was slow, painful, and also said it ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    117068
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    10
    Hi All, I'm new here......have also experienced terrible performance after upgrading to iOS5, in fact the upgrade process was slow, painful, and also said it aborted and did I want to restore, to which I replied Yes, and it then went through the restore process, which it claimed also failed, but when I finally rebooted, it came up as iOS5, with all the new 'features', but I had to resync to get all my apps back. Sorry for the boring story, but after startup it was terribly slow. Took ages to get anything done.
    So, getting on the web (from my laptop ) I found this forum, and some other articles that refer to the new iCloud - a recommendation was to disable it. I did that, and I also downloaded Process Killer and let it kill everything and clean up, and my iPad now seems to be running better.
    Thanks, I'll let it go for a while, but if anyone has some good suggestions, that would be great.

  2. Ads


  3. #12
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    117088
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1
    Just "upgraded" my iPad 2 and am very disappointed. Some apps are so slow as to be unusable.

    Can I go back to iOS 4?

  4. #13
    iPF Super Guru
    Member #
    40746
    Liked
    99 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Left Coast
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by gidlet View Post
    Just "upgraded" my iPad 2 and am very disappointed. Some apps are so slow as to be unusable.

    Can I go back to iOS 4?
    Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

    Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

    Forum Rules - Please read
    Hacking Rules - Please read
    iPad for Beginners
    Free iPad User Manuals
    Download The Official iPad Forum App

    With respect to your question, unfortunately the short answer is no, you cannot "go back" to an earlier iOS version. Many folks have had marked improvements in speed and performance by resetting their iPads after the upgrade.

    Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.

    More here:

    iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

    Hope that helps. There are other suggestions here on this thread and elsewhere and others may chime in as well.

    Welcome again and enjoy!
    Last edited by richsadams; 10-26-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Add link

  5. #14
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    117068
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    10
    I turned off iCloud backup, it did not work anyway, and WiFi sync also does not work, but that really doesn't matter, as you still need to have iTunes running on your computer, so using a USB cable is ok. But, i cannot get the backup to work at all, it just hangs.
    Besides, after disabling iCloud, i also purchased Process Killler ($0.95) which I ran to do a memory cleanup, and also did a reset, and my iPad is now running smoothly again.
    Just installed the Forums App, and that is great, gives a feeling that there are people out there that care
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

  6. #15
    iPF Super Guru
    Member #
    40746
    Liked
    99 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Left Coast
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by V1king View Post
    I turned off iCloud backup, it did not work anyway, and WiFi sync also does not work, but that really doesn't matter, as you still need to have iTunes running on your computer, so using a USB cable is ok. But, i cannot get the backup to work at all, it just hangs.
    Besides, after disabling iCloud, i also purchased Process Killler ($0.95) which I ran to do a memory cleanup, and also did a reset, and my iPad is now running smoothly again.
    Just installed the Forums App, and that is great, gives a feeling that there are people out there that care
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
    Glad the iPad is running well. Are you saying that you still cannot get a backup/sync to complete? Just curious as there are some options.

    Thanks for checking in and enjoy!

  7. #16
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    117068
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by richsadams
    Glad the iPad is running well. Are you saying that you still cannot get a backup/sync to complete? Just curious as there are some options.

    Thanks for checking in and enjoy!
    Yeah, seems to be running well, especially after I run the Process Killer.

    I can get it to sync if I don't enable the backup, but I can't get the backup to work. It just hangs. I got onto the Preferences and deleted the old backups, and got it to start, but about half way through, it just stopped - had to kill the AppleBackup process and then kill iTunes. iCloud backup just does not work, sticks on the message regarding calculating backup time. I wonder if there is a corrupt file on the iPad.

    If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to give it a try, but not too serious as I mainly use GoodReader and VLC for my docs and videos, and they are copied from my desktop, so I always have a copy, but would be happier if everything was running properly, and my other data was backed up. I'm happy to keep the backups on my desktop, iCloud only gives me 5GB which is not that much....

  8. #17
    iPF Super Guru
    Member #
    40746
    Liked
    99 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Left Coast
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by V1king View Post
    Yeah, seems to be running well, especially after I run the Process Killer.

    I can get it to sync if I don't enable the backup, but I can't get the backup to work. It just hangs. I got onto the Preferences and deleted the old backups, and got it to start, but about half way through, it just stopped - had to kill the AppleBackup process and then kill iTunes. iCloud backup just does not work, sticks on the message regarding calculating backup time. I wonder if there is a corrupt file on the iPad.

    If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to give it a try, but not too serious as I mainly use GoodReader and VLC for my docs and videos, and they are copied from my desktop, so I always have a copy, but would be happier if everything was running properly, and my other data was backed up. I'm happy to keep the backups on my desktop, iCloud only gives me 5GB which is not that much....
    Got it. When you say the backup stops, do you mean it hangs? Plus the backup should run prior to syncing, so I'm a little confused.

    If this is the first backup since upgrading to iOS 5 it can take a while because it's a full backup. Future backups will be incremental and take less time, but the initial one could take an hour or so depending on how much data you have. Just wondering if you're giving it enough time. If it's not actually giving you an error you might leave it to backup over night and see how it goes.

    The amount of data could also be why iCloud and WiFi backups appear to take so long or not work at all. With iCloud your broadband connection speed could have a lot to do with it as well.

    In any case, let us know how it goes!

  9. #18
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    117068
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
    Got it. When you say the backup stops, do you mean it hangs? Plus the backup should run prior to syncing, so I'm a little confused.

    If this is the first backup since upgrading to iOS 5 it can take a while because it's a full backup. Future backups will be incremental and take less time, but the initial one could take an hour or so depending on how much data you have. Just wondering if you're giving it enough time. If it's not actually giving you an error you might leave it to backup over night and see how it goes.

    The amount of data could also be why iCloud and WiFi backups appear to take so long or not work at all. With iCloud your broadband connection speed could have a lot to do with it as well.

    In any case, let us know how it goes!
    Hi Rich,

    OK, plugged in the iPad, specified backup to this computer, turned off iCloud on the iPad. Checked the contents of the iPad, and there is approx. 2.5Gb. Clicked on 'Sync' (in iTunes), specified 7 steps to do, did step 1 (preparation), started step 2 (backup) - the status bar moved quickly to about 1/3, and has stopped. No disk activity on the desktop, but AppleMobileDeviceService service is chewing up 50% of total CPU constantly. I would say it is stuck, but will leave it for a while and see if anything happens.

    Stay tuned, I'll get back to you in a while....might even go the extra step and leave it overnight?

    EDIT: The process AppleMobileBackup.exe just sitting there doing nothing. After 1hr, I killed the process and the sync proceeded. So, I would say the problem is with the backup......either the process is screwed or there is a corruption that is causing it to hang.


    Regards,
    Eric
    Last edited by V1king; 10-27-2011 at 05:40 AM.

  10. #19
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    119671
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Beyond the blast radius.
    Posts
    1

    iPad 1 almost unusable for web-browsing after iOS upgrade

    Most pages time out and require reloads now. That never happened once before iOS5 was installed. Overall the speed of the entire device is now nothing short of awful. There is a delay after typing a key, and seeing the characters appear on the screen.

    I have tried rebooting. I have used process killer. I have turned off iCloud and even location services.

    On top of that, Safari crashes regularly (as do several of my other apps which are now rendered incompatible by iOS5). And who on Earth thought that sacrificing screen real-estate for tabbed browsing was a good idea?

    I have taken to web-surfing on my Nokia phone because my iPad is currently too frustrating to use. If anyone has any other ideas for speeding up wi-fi -- I would love to hear them. I miss my iPad! But this iOS update is an unmitigated disaster.

    (I have heard something about setting up DNS servers on one's router? IS that really necessary?)

  11. #20
    iPF Super Guru
    Member #
    40746
    Liked
    99 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Left Coast
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by popo99 View Post
    Most pages time out and require reloads now. That never happened once before iOS5 was installed. Overall the speed of the entire device is now nothing short of awful. There is a delay after typing a key, and seeing the characters appear on the screen.

    I have tried rebooting. I have used process killer. I have turned off iCloud and even location services.

    On top of that, Safari crashes regularly (as do several of my other apps which are now rendered incompatible by iOS5). And who on Earth thought that sacrificing screen real-estate for tabbed browsing was a good idea?

    I have taken to web-surfing on my Nokia phone because my iPad is currently too frustrating to use. If anyone has any other ideas for speeding up wi-fi -- I would love to hear them. I miss my iPad! But this iOS update is an unmitigated disaster.

    (I have heard something about setting up DNS servers on one's router? IS that really necessary?)
    Sorry to hear about your frustrating experiences. Here are a couple of things to try. First you said you "rebooted", not sure what process you used, but resetting (not restarting) cured these issues for me and many others:

    Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.
    More here:

    iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

    If it's a network issue try rebooting all of your equipment including the modem/router, associated computer, etc. You can also try deleting (forget this network) the Wi-Fi setting on your iPad and setting it up again.

    If all else fails, a reset to factory settings may be needed:

    Restore the iPad
    1. First make sure you have a USB 2.0 connection cable and the latest version of iTunes installed
    2. Connect the iPad to your Mac or PC and launch iTunes
    3. In the Devices section click on the iPad icon then the Summary tab and then click on the Restore button
    4. When prompted, click on Back Up to back up all your iPad's media and settings
    5. Then click on the Restore button
    6. This will restore your iPad to its factory settings and install the latest version of the iPad operating software. Once this is completed, the iPad will restart
    7. You can now restore all your iPad's media and settings from the most recent back up then click Continue. Your iPad should now be up and running again...
    More here:

    iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

    As mentioned, mine and millions of other iPads (original and iPad 2) are working fine so yours should too.

    Hope that helps!


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 04:21 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 07:57 PM
  3. Upgrading Ipad 1 from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3
    By Blackburn in forum iPad Hacking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 08:05 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2011, 12:12 PM
  5. Upgrading iPad
    By Mattiazzi in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Search tags for this page

ipad 1 slow

,
ipad 1 slow crashes
,

ipad 1 super slow

,
ipad gen 1 slow
,

ipad slow after update

,
my ipad is running slow
,

my ipad seems slow

,

slow ipad 1

Click on a term to search for related topics.