My wife and I have used a HP iPAQ for years. Mine finally went zonkers and we are just waiting for hers to ...
She has used her PDA for Microsoft Reader, ListPro lists (shopping, book lists, reference lists, and so on), Outlook Calendar/Contacts/Notes/Tasks, sometimes Word/Excel, Dictionary, and Games (Soduko, Poker, and so on). She has never used Apple (including iTunes) software, only Windows. She does a little Windows computer sfuff (has her own computer with IE, Thunderbird, and so on) but depends on me for most configuration and maintenance items.
I used mine about the same way with a couple of additional apps. The last time I did anything with Apple software was when I looked at the first Apples. However, I am heavy into photography now (including Lightroom and Photoshop). I do not see the iPad playing any significant role other than maybe viewing some photos.
I have not been a fan of iTunes over the years, but if one is to use an iPad, one must use iTunes. We do use an iPod sometimes.
All of this brings me to a few questions.
This intro got a bit longer than I anticipated. However, this is a major move for us in terms of cost, time, and energy. We would like to have an idea of what we are facing and wanted to take advantage of the significant amount of expertise on the board. We appreciate your assistance (BTW, my wife will most likely get her own ID here should we get iPads).
- Will my wife be comfortable hauling around an iPad as a replacement for the iPAQ (it is her shopping list at the grocery store)?
- How much of learning curve struggle will she (and myself) be facing?
- We share a laptop with Vista and have our own ids. Can we both use iTunes to sync our individual iPads without inference?
- I have heard that iOS 4.3 is due out soon. Will it be a major task to upgrade?
- I have heard that iPad 2 will be a significant improvement, but may not be out for another year or so. Will a lot of users change to the iPad 2?
- I have heard that iOS 4.2 caused major problems with the camera kit. Is that true and has it been resolved?
- A third party 3-in-1 card reader is available which is suppose to allow one to read CF cards - does it work? Can one transfer files to/from the 3-in-1 reader without using iTunes?
- I have read that a external hard drive that uses the camera kit exists? Does it work?
Mike & Mary