iPad Mini Play 1080p MKV/AVI/TS/TiVo etc & Sync iPad Mini with iTunes Guide
Whenever I go to the iPad discussion forums, there are always some people asking video playback and unsupported format question. Here Iíll show you how to judge if your video is playable by iPad and how to fix the unsupported format issue. Comparing with iPad 2 and iPad 3, the iPad Mini is much lighter and more portable, and itís still a decent multi-media player Ė the Mini supports up to 1080p Full HD movies. The stock player of iPad Mini supports up to 1080p full HD videos in several formats.
Video formats supported by iPad Mini:
- H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
- MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
What kind of videos are not acceptable by iPad Mini:
All other formats and codecs are not friendly to iPad and you need to convert them before transferring the 1080p contents to iPad Mini. Normally, these videos include:
- Common video formats like .wmv, xvid encoded .avi, .mkv, .rmvb files;
- AVCHD .mts and .m2ts footage taken with Sony/Panasonic/Canon AVCHD camcorder and some camera;
- Other not-so-popular recording formats like .dv, .mxf, .mxf, .mod, .tod, .ts taken with other DVs and camecorders;
- Flash videos (.flv, .f4v) downloaded from web hosting sites or produced by Adobe video editing software;
- TV recordings like .tivo, .mpg and .ts video formats;
- 1:1 back up of Blu-ray and DVD video streams, the former comes in .m2ts while the latter .vob format.
How would you change the 1080p videos that are not in iPad Mini supported format?
The best way is to convert these videos into iPad Mini supported MP4s. Any file that can not be added to iTunes store must be converted; otherwise you can never sync them to iPad. Sync movies to iPad Mini without iTunes? Donít even think about it.