Get Blu-ray into iTunes for Streaming to Apple TV 3
It was not just iOS device users getting the 3rd generation iPad in this March. Apple also released Apple TV 2012, which support up to 1080p movies playback and stream. Feel like watching Blu-ray with the 3rd Gen Apple TV? Just rip Blu-rays and encode movies to 1080p at 6mbps+. Follow the guide below rip Blu-rays to Full HD 1080p MP4 files that play even sharper in iTunes than the 1080p downloads.
System Requirements for ripping Blu-ray to iTunes and streaming 1080p to Apple TV
Step-by-step guide for ripping Blu-ray movies for Apple TV 3 with 1080p HD quality
- Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8
- Compatible Blu-ray Disc Drive
- Blu-ray Ripper software
- 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor
- At least 2 GB of RAM
- iTunes 10.6 or later
- A video driver that supports HDCP for Windows PC
- A display that supports HDCP with a screen resolution of 1280 x 800 or higher
- Apple TV 3rd generation
1. Make sure your Blu-ray Disc drive is well connected with computer, and put a source Blu-ray Disc to the BD drive. Mac is lacking of Blu-ray support and you need to add an external BD drive that is compatible with Mac.
2. Have Blu-ray Ripper installed on your computer. Pavtube is recommended.
Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper for Windows (Windows 7, Vista, XP compatible)
Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper for Mac (Mac OS X 10.8, 10.7, 10.6, 10.5 compatible)
3. Run the Blu-ray Ripper. Press “Load Disc” icon to import Blu-ray movie. The software requires network connection to decrypt Blu-ray so keep your network wired.
4. Select main movie from file list, and set subtitles and audio language for export.
5. Set iTunes compatible 1080p format from the drop-down list of “Format”. Either “iPad 3 Full HD Video (*.mp4)” format or “Apple TV Full HD Video (*.mp4)” works well in iTunes. Both encode Blu-rays to 1080 MP4 with higher bit rate and exports better quality than iTunes movie downloads.
6. Press “Convert” to get Blu-ray Ripper start compressing Blu-ray to iTunes friendly videos.
7. When conversion completes, press “Open” to find compressed 1080p movie and add it to iTunes movie store. Open up iTunes and follow “File>> Add file to Library…” to sync ripped Blu-ray 1080p movie to iTunes.
Now you can enjoy the Blu-ray movie with iTunes freely and stream the 1080p movie to 3rd generation Apple TV.
Home HD Media Players- Blu-ray/DVD to HD Media players