Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

intall windows xp or windows 7 on ipad

This is a discussion on intall windows xp or windows 7 on ipad within the iPad OS forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Originally Posted by Digikid Originally Posted by col.bris Welcome on board our forums no it is not possible to install windows on the ipad if ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    22064
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburb
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by col.bris View Post
    Welcome on board our forums no it is not possible to install windows on the ipad if you need windows you need a net computer not an ipad.
    oh boy....when are people gonna learn? ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Learn that!!!!

    Now the REAL question is.....has anyone DONE IT. AFAIK no one has.
    It may be possible, but it is very unlikely. The IPad has an Apple A4 ARM chip. Windows currently only runs on Intel CPUs. It is theoretically possible that someone might write an A4 Intel emulator, but it would be unlikely to run Windows at an acceptable speed.

  2. Ads


  3. #12
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    19182
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    890
    Here .
    Take a look
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8sTY_Fmzo[/ame]
    Think before you Sync Since you may Sink
    The More Tweaks you have - Less Memory is left

  4. #13
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    14887
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by col.bris View Post
    Welcome on board our forums no it is not possible to install windows on the ipad if you need windows you need a net computer not an ipad.
    oh boy....when are people gonna learn? ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Learn that!!!!

    Now the REAL question is.....has anyone DONE IT. AFAIK no one has.
    It may be possible, but it is very unlikely. The IPad has an Apple A4 ARM chip. Windows currently only runs on Intel CPUs. It is theoretically possible that someone might write an A4 Intel emulator, but it would be unlikely to run Windows at an acceptable speed.
    I think more correctly, Windows currently runs on x86/x64 architecture, not just Intel chips. Interestingly, Microsoft is expected at CES to announce a version of Windows for ARM processors, so it is quite possible that when that comes out it will be possible to install Windows on the iPad. I can't imagine the experience would be great, but it might be possible.

  5. #14
    epb
    epb is offline
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    4438
    Liked
    14 times
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by peled View Post
    Here. Take a look
    Clever - it seems like a more sophisticated version of what VNC apps like Splashtop and Teamviewer do.
    You had your entire life to prepare for today.

  6. #15
    Banned
    Member #
    12904
    Liked
    35 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by peled View Post
    Not actually windows 7 on the iPad. Just a vnc server.

  7. #16
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    27983
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1
    youtube com/watch?v=fpILv3XGZts
    I don't think you can VNC into a machine that is booting up, so unless im dumb this is running natively and so can windows 7.
    (sorry I cant post a real link because this forum won't let me)

  8. #17
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    19182
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by megaworm View Post
    youtube com/watch?v=fpILv3XGZts
    I don't think you can VNC into a machine that is booting up, so unless im dumb this is running natively and so can windows 7.
    (sorry I cant post a real link because this forum won't let me)
    Well thanks for that other movie:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpILv3XGZts"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpILv3XGZts[/ame]
    Think before you Sync Since you may Sink
    The More Tweaks you have - Less Memory is left

  9. #18
    Banned
    Member #
    14962
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY - USA
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by megaworm View Post
    youtube com/watch?v=fpILv3XGZts
    I don't think you can VNC into a machine that is booting up, so unless im dumb this is running natively and so can windows 7.
    (sorry I cant post a real link because this forum won't let me)
    There is a cloud service out there (listed in a different post) that offers virtual machines from the cloud, so in effect, you can connect to a PC that is booting up.

  10. #19
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    13577
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by megaworm View Post
    youtube com/watch?v=fpILv3XGZts
    I don't think you can VNC into a machine that is booting up, so unless im dumb this is running natively and so can windows 7.
    (sorry I cant post a real link because this forum won't let me)
    Won't say you're dumb but I will say you must not have watched that video for comprehension. It was explained very clearly what was going on, and running Windows 7 natively certainly was NOT it.




    Michael

  11. #20
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    22064
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburb
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSt View Post
    I think more correctly, Windows currently runs on x86/x64 architecture, not just Intel chips. Interestingly, Microsoft is expected at CES to announce a version of Windows for ARM processors, so it is quite possible that when that comes out it will be possible to install Windows on the iPad. I can't imagine the experience would be great, but it might be possible.
    You're correct, of course, I should have been more precise.

    As to Microsoft and the ARM. If they do bring out an ARM version, it will (rightly) be designed to be used on tablets and smartphones and so won't be XP or 7. It'll be something different. So the answer to the OP question is still "no". Not at the current time. And probably not ever.


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. iPad development with windows?
    By ch4rly in forum iPad Development
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 12:39 AM
  2. IPad sync with Windows
    By cabbage22 in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 01:01 AM
  3. Windows 7 on an Apple iPad
    By LPH in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
  4. Windows 95 on the iPad
    By cimousa in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 08:44 AM
  5. Windows 95 on iPad
    By Sonny Burnett in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Search tags for this page

how to install xp on ipad 1
,

install windows 7 on ipad

,
install windows on ipad 1
,
installing windows xp on ipad2
,
ipad install windows
,
putting windows on ipad
,

windows xp for ipad

,

windows xp on ipad

Click on a term to search for related topics.