With respect to the OP I think you are on the wrong track and running off the rails as what you are saying makes no sense. This is NOT a personal attack just a comment on the issue.
1) The instructions are plain and simple as SBHOKC stated regardless what platform you are using. The instructions are provided with the iPad
2) complete instructions on how to use iTunes is in the menu ( see help)
3) regard support zero ??? Excuse me you have 30 days phone support if needed not to mention the Apple web site which provides every thing you need.
4) The Apple store. Out of the box the iPad along with all I devices require a computer plus iTunes to register. No employee of an Apple store or for that matter any retailer will be allowed to process a brand new iPad unless YOU are buying it. If you did purchase the ipad they will activate it with in 5 minutes if required. However in saying that it was purchased from Target.
5). Once you have activated the iPad and loaded what ever content you want there is no need to connect the iPad to the computer unless you wish to back it up and or sync multiple devices such as another iPhone, iPod , Apple TV etc. I have not used my MacBook for months except for back up. I down load direct to the iPad most of my apps , movies and songs and do not use iTunes on the Mac hardly at all. It is by far the easiest computer or mobile device I have used ever and yes it is a computer...............
6) let's look at some facts as of December 2010 apple has sold since 2001
- 260 million IPods
- 10 million iPads estimated as of dec 30
- 50 million iPhone 3
- 40 million iPhone 4. Approx as of now
Users world wide are downloading from iTunes EVERY DAY17 million apps and approx 10 million songs.
Now if in fact it is soooooo hard to buy an iPad or any idevice phones included and download iTunes on windows or mac then activate it can some one please explain why millions of users do not seem to have any problems.
What i do not understand is the OP is suppose to be an experience user of windows and Toshiba so why is it so hard for some one whom is experienced to activate and use an iPad when even a 70 or even a 12 year old non experience user can do it with out issues. That does not make sense.
Go get a lawyer loose every thing you own. Sell your ipad buy a toshiba touch laptop and you will be in heaven ...... Maybe
One more thing I am not saying iTunes is perfect as we all know it has issues with windows platform and is overloaded with content but with respect I believe Apple will resolve a lot of these issues in 2011