Alternative to iTunes for loading eBooks?
This is a discussion on Alternative to iTunes for loading eBooks? within the iPad Help forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Am looking for an alternative way to load eBooks from my iMac to iBooks on the iPad. I have a LOT of eBooks and to ...
Post By jimmychen
Alternative to iTunes for loading eBooks?
Am looking for an alternative way to load eBooks from my iMac to iBooks on the iPad. I have a LOT of eBooks and to load only a selected few I have to scroll through that small window within iTunes to find the books I want to load. Sometimes if I check a book, it will scroll back tot the top of the list.
Has anyone found a workaround to this? Or is there a way to make that window larger within iTunes?
The iTunes window I am referring to is when you select your device (iPad) and then select the Books tab. You can either load all or select individual books.
Thanks in advanced for any help.
03-05-2012 09:00 PM
There is no need to select the books tab. Just drag the book to your iPad in iTunes and drop it. It will find it's own way into iBooks.
To select the book from the PC I use coverflow.
Hope this helps.
i'm not an experienced user,but i manage my wifes ebooks with calibre,it works on windows,linux and OS X.
you can either integrate it with itunes,or set the content server running,and as long as your pc is on,you can select the books from your ipad,and transfer them wirelessly.
Do you have a link on how to set that up with Calibre? I have Calibre to organize my books but I end up having to drag the .epub file into iTunes, then iTunes to load them onto the iPad.
Originally Posted by jimmychen
I tried the above suggestion but that didn't work.
If you haven't already,start the content server in calibre thru the connect/share button at the top.
- Set the Preferred Output Format in calibre to EPUB (The output format can be set under Preferences->Interface->Behavior)
- Set the output profile to iPad (this will work for iPhone/iPods as well), under Preferences->Conversion->Common Options->Page Setup
- Convert the books you want to read on your iPhone to EPUB format by selecting them and clicking the Convert button.
open safari on ipad,type into the adress bar the ip of the pc running calibre followed by the server port,mine for example looks like this:
8080 is the default port set in calibre.
you can then browse your calibre library thru your ipad,and import to your ibook library.
if you want to use itunes :this i copied from elsewhere:
- Launch iTunes with no connected iDevices.
- In iTunes Preferences|Advanced, select an option for Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library. If you already have existing content in iTunes (music, videos, etc), you should keep your current setting.
Make a note of this setting, as you will need it in the next step.
- Checked: iTunes will make copies of transferred books to your iTunes Media folder.
- Unchecked: iTunes will reference a copy of the transferred book in your calibre configuration directory.
- Launch calibre, set Preferences:
- Preferences|Behavior|Preferred output format to EPUB
- Preferences|Conversion|common options|page setup|Output profile to iPad
- Preferences|Plugins|Device Interface plugins|Apple device interface - click Enable/Disable plugin so that driver is disabled (grayed out). This makes it possible to use the 'Connect to iTunes' method described below. It is still possible to customize the plugin, as these settings are shared among the various Apple device drivers.
- With the Apple device interface selected, click Customize plugin. Set 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder…' is enabled in iTunes Advanced|Preferences to match the setting of the similar option in the iTunes Preferences|Advanced dialog step above. If the option is checked in both dialogs, iTunes will make copies of transferred books in your iTunes Media folder. If the option is unchecked in both dialogs, copies will be made in your calibre configuration directory. Regardless of your choice, both options should be set the same.
- Enable the formats you want to transfer to iTunes. iBooks supports both epub and pdf formats.
- Restart calibre.
- Select Connect/Share↓Connect to iTunes to connect iTunes as a Reader device.
- To send epubs or PDFs from calibre to iTunes:
- Select the book(s) to send from your calibre Library window, then click Send to device. Your books are added to the 'Books' playlist in your iTunes library.
- When you're ready to sync your iDevice with iTunes:
- Connect your iDevice to your computer
- Sync your iDevice with iTunes as you normally would.
- If you manually manage songs and videos in iTunes, you can simply drag books from the Library|Books list to your iDevice.
Exactly what I was looking for !!! Clear and concise directions !!! Many thanks !
By BuzyMum in forum iPad General Discussions
Last Post: 09-06-2011, 08:52 AM
By sjleworthy in forum iPad Help
Last Post: 08-02-2011, 01:27 PM
By Fudnock in forum iPad Apps
Last Post: 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM
By sjleworthy in forum iPad General Discussions
Last Post: 03-24-2011, 06:39 AM
By writerranger in forum iPad General Discussions
Last Post: 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Search tags for this page
calibre ipad without itunes
calibre to ipad without itunes
how to transfer books to ipad without itunes
how to transfer ebooks to ipad without itunes
itunes alternative for books
itunes alternative for ebooks
itunes alternative ibooks
transfer ebooks to ipad without itunes
Click on a term to search for related topics.