Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

cracked screen

This is a discussion on cracked screen within the iPad Help forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; hello, while on a trip around the world, i bought a new iPad for my wife's birthday in london. while in madagascar, i dropped it ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: cracked screen

  1. #1
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    110558
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    krabi thailand
    Posts
    2

    cracked screen

    hello,
    while on a trip around the world, i bought a new iPad for my wife's birthday in london. while in madagascar, i dropped it and shattered the screen. my next stop will be thailand where we live. any suggestions on what to do??
    of course i will go directly to an apple store in bangkok upon arrival. will apple honour my problem in thailand even tho i bought it in london??
    i need some reassuring words...

    thanks,
    khundick

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    27654
    Liked
    119 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,248
    It's difficult to know how each country's Apple Stores react. For sure, in the US and Europe there doesn't seem to be a problem in the Apple Stores exchanging an iPad with a cracked or broken screen, even when the problem was caused - albeit inadvertently - by the user. It's an unofficial, goodwill, once-in-a-lifetime, gesture. But Apple Stores in Singapore seem to be more difficult. So far, we've not had any reports of the reaction in Thailand but I can't see why there would be difficulty. For sure, the warranty is world-wide but whether each of the Apple Stores knows about the unofficial, unacknowledged exchange policy is hard to know. Read the other threads posted by Members on their experience. You might need a little patience and gentle, polite persistence.

    Tim

  4. #3
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    153701
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim SPRACKLEN View Post
    It's difficult to know how each country's Apple Stores react. For sure, in the US and Europe there doesn't seem to be a problem in the Apple Stores exchanging an iPad with a cracked or broken screen, even when the problem was caused - albeit inadvertently - by the user. It's an unofficial, goodwill, once-in-a-lifetime, gesture. But Apple Stores in Singapore seem to be more difficult. So far, we've not had any reports of the reaction in Thailand but I can't see why there would be difficulty. For sure, the warranty is world-wide but whether each of the Apple Stores knows about the unofficial, unacknowledged exchange policy is hard to know. Read the other threads posted by Members on their experience. You might need a little patience and gentle, polite persistence.

    Tim
    I wish you guys would quit telling people this. I received my ipad 2 as a christmas present from my husband. After
    Accidentally dropping it and reading about the "replacement" under warranty we took it to our nearest apple store. We spent about an hour driving, waited another two hours for our "appointment" and another hour home only to find we could pay half price for a replacement? This is our very first experience with apple and the one and only apple
    product we've ever had in our home. That being said it will also be the very last.

    Sorry but everyone should be provided the same treatment.

    June

  5. #4
    iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    129720
    Liked
    18 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmellinger View Post
    I wish you guys would quit telling people this. I received my ipad 2 as a christmas present from my husband. After
    Accidentally dropping it and reading about the "replacement" under warranty we took it to our nearest apple store. We spent about an hour driving, waited another two hours for our "appointment" and another hour home only to find we could pay half price for a replacement? This is our very first experience with apple and the one and only apple
    product we've ever had in our home. That being said it will also be the very last.

    Sorry but everyone should be provided the same treatment.

    June
    OH Your blaming Apple because you dropped your iPad and had to go through the process of getting service on it. To damn bad you bought one of the most popular products in the world and you had to wait for a bit. I think you need to throw it in the trash and stick with your windows PC's. Oh if you break a windows PC do you blame Bill Gates or Microsoft for it........ I bet you do.

  6. #5
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    7489
    Liked
    132 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    14,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmellinger View Post
    I wish you guys would quit telling people this. I received my ipad 2 as a christmas present from my husband. After
    Accidentally dropping it and reading about the "replacement" under warranty we took it to our nearest apple store. We spent about an hour driving, waited another two hours for our "appointment" and another hour home only to find we could pay half price for a replacement? This is our very first experience with apple and the one and only apple
    product we've ever had in our home. That being said it will also be the very last.

    Sorry but everyone should be provided the same treatment.

    June
    I am sorry. Did you call first? Before making that trip? I might have missed that part. What folks fail to understand is that is/was a courtesy replacement. Not a guaranteed courtesy replacement.

    I will admit that reports have been as such that some are finding Apple has stopped being so courteous ~ people just come to expect it and what company that makes anything, will replace their product because of the consumer's fault?
    Marie ~


    64GB WiFi/3G iPad1 ~ JB with jailbreakme.com ~



    Forum Rules. Please Read.

    appleforums.net

  7. #6
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    49751
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somerset UK
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmellinger

    I wish you guys would quit telling people this. I received my ipad 2 as a christmas present from my husband. After
    Accidentally dropping it and reading about the "replacement" under warranty we took it to our nearest apple store. We spent about an hour driving, waited another two hours for our "appointment" and another hour home only to find we could pay half price for a replacement? This is our very first experience with apple and the one and only apple
    product we've ever had in our home. That being said it will also be the very last.

    Sorry but everyone should be provided the same treatment.

    June
    This - and similar threads on other forums - is getting irritating. I don't know if the whiners have reliable information that other suplies of laptpos, portables, cameras, etc give no-questions-asked replacements of items damaged by carelessness, but on my UK side of the Atlantic I guess the salesperson's response is going to be of the 'You want us to do WHAT...???' type.

    Apple seems to have offered it as a courtesy and they get the drones going on big time about the unfairness of it all. I accept the point about apparent inconsistency, but it appears to be linked to national policies. And I hope Jmellinger gets a guarantee of replacement for careless handling with his new supplier - but I guess he will not

  8. #7
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    145556
    Liked
    4 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon
    Posts
    104
    why is so many people think they get afree ride in anyhting that they do wrong.... they break something(yes accidents happen) and expect someone else to tell them that is ok here is a free one don't worry if you break thatone too...as suggested above when you do not make an appointment to a BUSY place you should not expect to just walk to the front of line just "because" what ever happened to owning your problem and common courtesy and descncy. Ifyou have no insurance and your house burned down or your car was in in a horrible accident would you expect someoe to pay for all that out of their pocket too just "because" get real people... even if Apple offered you a 50% off on replacement price that is 100% more then they need to do..if they do more... or anything price wise for you count your belessing and be thankfull for once

  9. #8
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    153701
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPoison View Post
    I am sorry. Did you call first? Before making that trip? I might have missed that part. What folks fail to understand is that is/was a courtesy replacement. Not a guaranteed courtesy replacement.

    I will admit that reports have been as such that some are finding Apple has stopped being so courteous ~ people just come to expect it and what company that makes anything, will replace their product because of the consumer's fault?
    Actually, we really had no expectations until after reading about other cracked screens and the "one time courtesy replacements" in the forums.
    I accidently dropped mine just like the others while it was under warranty......
    We had no idea that we needed to make an appt until we actually arrived... We found something to eat,
    came back to the store and sat playing Angry birds on my Ipad2 until it was our turn... We weren't rude, we did not get impatient but after realizing the time that we wasted, and the money we spent initially... Had Apple communicated that they had stopped this practice, we would not have gone through this at all...

    At the very least, I have saved someone else a trip to the apple store in the hopes of getting their screen replaced. Now they know this practice is no longer available... In addition, I have also saved them the money they might have spent sitting and waiting for their appt...

    As I said before, this was the very first apple product and will be the very last..
    If Apple is still around in 10 years, we might reconsider but today it would be highly unlikely...

    June

  10. #9
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    153701
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck_Randy View Post
    OH Your blaming Apple because you dropped your iPad and had to go through the process of getting service on it. To damn bad you bought one of the most popular products in the world and you had to wait for a bit. I think you need to throw it in the trash and stick with your windows PC's. Oh if you break a windows PC do you blame Bill Gates or Microsoft for it........ I bet you do.
    I see you are an apple fan... That's nice and that is your choice..
    But I am not and that is my choice...

    And no I did not vote for Obama as you suggest...
    And I don't plan to vote for him this round either..

    June

  11. #10
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    153701
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5
    Busy... Are you kidding?
    The employee ration was 2:1
    At one point I wondered why we were still sitting there as any one of them could have told us
    "sorry but we don't do that anymore"... Instead of a two hour wait... we would have been on our way home five minutes after walking in the door...
    And I will tell you the same thing I told a previous poster...

    I did not vote for Obama as you suggest and don't plan to this time around either...

    Jeez
    June
    Last edited by Jmellinger; 01-18-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Did not pick up the quote from previous


Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Cracked screen
    By Mark4777 in forum iPad 2 Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 08:01 AM
  2. Ipad cracked screen
    By couture91 in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 10:42 PM
  3. Cracked ipad2 screen
    By jblomstedt in forum iPad 2 Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 11:58 AM
  4. Cracked the screen, but only on top
    By KujotheVicious in forum iPad 2 Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM
  5. Screen cracked!!!
    By Buttafingas in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Search tags for this page

apple ipad warranty cracked screen
,
broken screen
,

cracked screen

,
ipad 2 warranty cracked screen
,
ipad broken screen warranty
,

ipad cracked screen warranty

,
ipad screen warranty
,

ipad warranty cracked screen

Click on a term to search for related topics.