Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Synching with iphotos

This is a discussion on Synching with iphotos within the iPad Help forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Have just tried to synch my photos from iphotos on my iMac. None of my albums copied, but a few random events did. Kept trying ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    95041
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Te kauwhata
    Posts
    1

    Synching with iphotos

    Have just tried to synch my photos from iphotos on my iMac. None of my albums copied, but a few random events did. Kept trying with selected albums and whole iPhoto. No joy. I had to copy the photos I wanted from iphotos and paste them into pictures on my hard disc then sync from that folder. Long winded, time consuming and no albums. Why give the option to sync fro iphotos if it doesn't work and when will this problem be corrected?

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    28530
    Liked
    1523 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Walla Walla, WA
    Posts
    15,432
    Make sure you have the most recent updates for your version of iPhotos. There were some problems with syncing events with one or other of the versions of the latest iPhotos. I don't remember which.

    I've neve tried syncing my entire iPhoto library. It's just too big, so I can't offer much advice beyond the above. The albums I create and sync, along with faces, work just fine.

  4. #3
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    41918
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southampton UK
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by twerppoet
    Make sure you have the most recent updates for your version of iPhotos. There were some problems with syncing events with one or other of the versions of the latest iPhotos. I don't remember which.

    I've neve tried syncing my entire iPhoto library. It's just too big, so I can't offer much advice beyond the above. The albums I create and sync, along with faces, work just fine.
    I have just purchased my first iMac and I have a related question to iphoto 11' could I be cheeky and ask your advise?

    Why doesn't iphoto maintain folder structure when you import? It just seems to lump them all together or puts then in event (date) order which isn't very useful. E.g. I have a folder called garden which contains folder for front, back, etc over a time period of a few months, but when imported it just lumps it into one event?

    Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
    iPad 2 32GB 3G T-Mobile Black (IOS 5.0)
    iMAC 27" i5 3.1Ghz (OSX Lion)

  5. #4
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    94200
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13
    It only goes one level deep in folders. I have about ten folders with pictures in my My Pictures folder. When I synch I get ten albums. One for each folder. Pics in subfolders are lumped under the root folder. It would be nice if the iPad had better photo software but i consider it just a photo carrier. My main photo work is done on the computer and I only transfer what I want here.

  6. #5
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    28530
    Liked
    1523 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Walla Walla, WA
    Posts
    15,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Harters

    I have just purchased my first iMac and I have a related question to iphoto 11' could I be cheeky and ask your advise?

    Why doesn't iphoto maintain folder structure when you import? It just seems to lump them all together or puts then in event (date) order which isn't very useful. E.g. I have a folder called garden which contains folder for front, back, etc over a time period of a few months, but when imported it just lumps it into one event?

    Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
    It just doesn't. I don't think Apple envisioned people using the Photos app as more than a way to keep a few albums on the iPad to share with family and friends. A couple of versions ago you could not sync faces, events, and places. Whether they will continue to update it, or leave it up to third party apps to fill the gap is hard to say.

    Another words, I don't know.

  7. #6
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    41918
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southampton UK
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by twerppoet

    It just doesn't. I don't think Apple envisioned people using the Photos app as more than a way to keep a few albums on the iPad to share with family and friends. A couple of versions ago you could not sync faces, events, and places. Whether they will continue to update it, or leave it up to third party apps to fill the gap is hard to say.

    Another words, I don't know.
    Ok, thank you. At least now I know I'm not being thick Also thought it was odd that it duplicates all the photos too taking up valuable HDD space. Shame, as one of the reasons for buying the iMac was to be able to use all of the great products that they include as standard..... Fingers crossed when I go to use iMovie for my holiday DVD

    I will have a try with Picasa..... Hopefully that still works the same way as the windows version ;-)

    Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
    Last edited by Harters; 09-06-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    iPad 2 32GB 3G T-Mobile Black (IOS 5.0)
    iMAC 27" i5 3.1Ghz (OSX Lion)

  8. #7
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    28530
    Liked
    1523 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Walla Walla, WA
    Posts
    15,432
    There is an app for Picasa. It is called Web Albums for iPad. Don't use Picasa myself, but those that do say it's a good app.

  9. #8
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    41918
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southampton UK
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by twerppoet
    There is an app for Picasa. It is called Web Albums for iPad. Don't use Picasa myself, but those that do say it's a good app.
    Thanks for that.

    I have been doing more research and I have found that I can create a 'referenced' iphoto album which instead of duplicating all my photos creates a link to the originals therefore saving HDD space. Now I have found that out I will have another go at importing them. I have renamed the nested folder the same as the top folder, but then added e.g. Florida 2011 & Florida 2011 Best so that will keep them in some kind of order.... I hope ;-)

    Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
    iPad 2 32GB 3G T-Mobile Black (IOS 5.0)
    iMAC 27" i5 3.1Ghz (OSX Lion)

  10. #9
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    28530
    Liked
    1523 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Walla Walla, WA
    Posts
    15,432
    Ok. Good luck. Let us know if you get it working the way you want.

  11. #10
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    41918
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southampton UK
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by twerppoet
    Ok. Good luck. Let us know if you get it working the way you want.
    Think Im sorted now!

    I have created folders, some nested and then imported my photos into them, so now iphoto basically replicates how I have my original photos in 'pictures'

    I created a referenced iphoto library first so I'm not duplicating and taking up excess HDD space

    Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
    iPad 2 32GB 3G T-Mobile Black (IOS 5.0)
    iMAC 27" i5 3.1Ghz (OSX Lion)


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. mpeg4 not synching
    By maruthi in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 10:35 PM
  2. synching contacts
    By colinj09 in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 08:56 AM
  3. Synching with iphone
    By Seymog60 in forum iPad FAQ
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2010, 08:32 PM
  4. Synching iPad to different PC's
    By stevei in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 12:15 AM
  5. Iphotos problem
    By Sandylee in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM

Search tags for this page

how do i sync copied cds on my ipad 2
,
how do i sync my iphotos with my ipad
,
i cannot not sync iphoto to ipad
,
i cannot sync photos from iphoto or select events
,

ipad2 can't sync iphoto

,
iphone photos not syncing iphoto password problem
,
iphotos
,
sync folder with iphoto event
,
why don't events in iphoto sync in order on ipad?
,
why don't i see events when i synch ipad with imac?
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread