Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Changing Owner of iPad

This is a discussion on Changing Owner of iPad within the iPad Help forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; My wife gave me her iPad, she got a Playbook. My question is, how do I get her name off the computer and have it ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    62031
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    6

    Changing Owner of iPad

    My wife gave me her iPad, she got a Playbook. My question is, how do I get her name off the computer and have it show as my iPad.

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    27654
    Liked
    119 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,248
    You can't do this on the iPad itself; it can only be done during a sync operation using iTunes on your PC. When you're synchronising your iPad you can see the name of the iPad in iTunes on your PC. Change it there to its new name and, when the sync is complete, the iPad will have 'inherited' the new name that you gave it on your PC.

    Tim

  4. #3
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    62031
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    6
    Thanks, I will try it tomorrow and let you know how it went.
    A

  5. #4
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    62031
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    6
    Tim

    I got on iTunes and d/l the update to the iPad but I could not figure out how to change the name of the iPad. I could see the name,I searched all over and could not find a way into it.

  6. #5
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    37823
    Liked
    748 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cranbrook, Kent, UK
    Posts
    17,132
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerart
    Tim

    I got on iTunes and d/l the update to the iPad but I could not figure out how to change the name of the iPad. I could see the name,I searched all over and could not find a way into it.
    When you connect to the PC, in the right hand pane of iTunes you will see your iPads name, click on it and type the new name in.

    The Archangel

  7. #6
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    62031
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    6
    OK I finally got it thanks to both of you.

    Now for a tougher one( for me that is) I would like to delete all my wife's information on the iPad. plus, get this to d/l all of my stuff on my iTunes. I tell you, the Apple support FAQ and the help list sure does not bring up any answers for my ?'s. I put something in the search bar and "help" always brings up some off the wall answers that do not pertain to the query.

    So now Linda and I have names on this iPad, and that isn't quite what I wanted.

    I am having trouble authorizing this PC for my iPad. This is how I have been spending my evenings since I got this.

    I have to get this set up for me alone b4 I go out on the road for a month.

  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    37823
    Liked
    748 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cranbrook, Kent, UK
    Posts
    17,132
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerart
    OK I finally got it thanks to both of you.

    Now for a tougher one( for me that is) I would like to delete all my wife's information on the iPad. plus, get this to d/l all of my stuff on my iTunes. I tell you, the Apple support FAQ and the help list sure does not bring up any answers for my ?'s. I put something in the search bar and "help" always brings up some off the wall answers that do not pertain to the query.

    So now Linda and I have names on this iPad, and that isn't quite what I wanted.

    I am having trouble authorizing this PC for my iPad. This is how I have been spending my evenings since I got this.

    I have to get this set up for me alone b4 I go out on the road for a month.
    Do you have separate iTunes accounts or do you share an account........if separate then you can restore then set up using your account, it will then have only your stuff on it. If you share an account then it's just a matter of setting the sync options in iTunes (when you are connected) to sync only the items that you want.

    How have you both got names on the iPad, the iPad is a single user device.....when you changed the name in iTunes did you delete your wife's name before typing in your own? I am quite confused by what you are saying!

    You say you are having trouble authorising your PC for your iPad? Again, I am a bit confused, do you mean authorising your iTunes account on your PC or it isn't recognising your iPad? If you changed your name for the iPad then it must be connected and recognised.....are you talking about a different PC?

    If you can provide more details about what you are trying to do, what is happening when you connect and if you are using different computers then we can probably sort your problems out.

    The Archangel

  9. #8
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    62031
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    6
    Now I am confused.

    Let's just take the restore part. I get all these warnings about losing all my media and purchased items if I continue the restore.

    Will it back up everything or will I lose everything? I am afraid to do the restore as I understand it.


    ITunes has Art's iPad as the name, but in the left column I did see where both of our names were there. But that doesn't affect anything, I don't think.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    37823
    Liked
    748 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cranbrook, Kent, UK
    Posts
    17,132
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerart
    Now I am confused.

    Let's just take the restore part. I get all these warnings about losing all my media and purchased items if I continue the restore.

    Will it back up everything or will I lose everything? I am afraid to do the restore as I understand it.

    ITunes has Art's iPad as the name, but in the left column I did see where both of our names were there. But that doesn't affect anything, I don't think.
    Ok, it doesn't matter what the iPad is called so don't worry about that.

    If you have anything on your iPad that isn't in your iTunes make sure that you do a full back up before restoring. See here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

    Once it's in your iTunes it's safe (I always preach backing up your PC/mac to an external drive).

    Then you can restore your iPad safely.

    The Archangel

  11. #10
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    62031
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    6
    I got it all done. Did the restore, checked the boxes that needed to be checked and BAM everything downloaded to the iPad.

    Apple has a very sorry "help" on iTunes. Boy, I use the forums everywhere to help me out from PC'S to motorcycles.

    5 Star Kudos to you, thanks a ton.

    bikerart


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Changing name on Ipad 1
    By saphire in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
  2. Changing APN setting on iPad with 4.2.1
    By dmgceo in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 07:17 AM
  3. Changing font in ipad emails?
    By skatealex2 in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 04:50 PM
  4. Changing ordre of videos on ipad
    By MB85 in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 06:56 AM
  5. How iPad is changing the market, forever
    By Paoloruffino in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 11:03 PM

Search tags for this page

change ipad owner

,
change owner of ipad
,
how to change ipad owner
,
how to change ipad owners
,
how to change ipad ownership
,

how to change owner of ipad

,
how to change owner on ipad
,
i gave my ipad to my husband how do i change ownership
Click on a term to search for related topics.