Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Hello and How do I show HTML pages on the iPad?

This is a discussion on Hello and How do I show HTML pages on the iPad? within the iPad Help forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; So I just got an iPad - it's a second-hand one but No less of a thrill. Didn't give much though to actually what to ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    55286
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11

    Hello and How do I show HTML pages on the iPad?

    So I just got an iPad - it's a second-hand one but No less of a thrill.
    Didn't give much though to actually what to do with it before buying... But now I'm here, I'm wondering: How do I: save and show HTML pages on the iPad? Ideally I'd like to preview websites to test and show to clients, which are not online... Possible? If so, how, please?

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    27654
    Liked
    119 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,248
    Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

    Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

    Have fun and enjoy your iPad

    Although the iPad browser can't display HTML pages off-line, it is possible to save web pages as PDF documents using a 'bookmarklet'. This creates a PDF files that's an exact copy of the web page that you're viewing. The good news is that you can then view that page off-line using a PDF reader, such as iBooks. The bad news is, of course, that embedded hyperlinks don't function as such.

    If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

    Apple - Support - Manuals

    Please read the rules too!!

    Forum rules - everybody please read!!

    Tim
    Scotland

  4. #3
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    55286
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks, Tim, another early-bird,eh?
    I undersand your answer, but it is curious that it can't be done, don't you agree? The PDF method would be fine for quite static pages, but these days there's often some scripting, animation or image effects that are integral to a web page. I guess they just need to be seen online so no great problem.

    Thanks again and I'm sure there will be other questions.

    Sent from my iPad using iPF

  5. #4
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    27654
    Liked
    119 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,248
    It may be that there are some third-party browsers that can load stored HTML pages. I'm sure you'll get some recommendations over the next few hours....but, you're right, it's strange that the Safari browser can't load HTML pages.

    Yes - early to bed, early to rise - or something like that...

    Tim

  6. #5
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    55293
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4
    If you really must use your iPad for this purpose instead of a laptop or cheap portable with a web server and a wireless router then you can check out these two apps available via Cydia... You can google them too.
    >>> lighttpd & file:// for MobileSafari <<<

    I just installed them on my iPad(v1) to test out your idea, but jumped the gun and posted before actually trying them because it's late and I need to get some sleep.

    Option 2 is to search the Apple App store For 'web browser' and look for the Offline browsers which save content to your iPad. >>>h t t p : / / o f f l i n e p a g . e s /<<<

    Best to you.
    Last edited by rjbradlow; 05-16-2011 at 01:37 AM.

  7. #6
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    55286
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbradlow
    If you really must use your iPad for this purpose instead of a laptop or cheap portable with a web server and a wireless router then you can check out these two apps available via Cydia... You can google them too.
    >>> lighttpd & file:// for MobileSafari <<<

    I just installed them on my iPad(v1) to test out your idea, but jumped the gun and posted before actually trying them because it's late and I need to get some sleep.

    Option 2 is to search the Apple App store For 'web browser' and look for the Offline browsers which save content to your iPad. >>>h t t p : / / o f f l i n e p a g . e s /<<<

    Best to you.
    Thanks for your reply although I detect a bit of disaproval ("...If you really must...") and think I understand your anxiety; to seek your approval may I say that I do have and use a MacBook Pro with extensive server facilities for that purpose. I hope you would agree that any current web project ought to be tested on a variety of hand-held devices and for me, the iPad is top of that list. Which is why I'm looking for that functionality.

    Your suggestions are much appreciated and I'll certainly look into them.

    Sent from my iPad using iPF

  8. #7
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    27654
    Liked
    119 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,248
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbradlow
    If you really must use your iPad for this purpose instead of a laptop or cheap portable with a web server and a wireless router then you can check out these two apps available via Cydia... You can google them too.
    >>> lighttpd & file:// for MobileSafari <<<

    I just installed them on my iPad(v1) to test out your idea, but jumped the gun and posted before actually trying them because it's late and I need to get some sleep.

    Option 2 is to search the Apple App store For 'web browser' and look for the Offline browsers which save content to your iPad. >>>h t t p : / / o f f l i n e p a g . e s /<<<

    Best to you.
    Thanks for your reply although I detect a bit of disaproval ("...If you really must...") and think I understand your anxiety; to seek your approval may I say that I do have and use a MacBook Pro with extensive server facilities for that purpose. I hope you would agree that any current web project ought to be tested on a variety of hand-held devices and for me, the iPad is top of that list. Which is why I'm looking for that functionality.

    Your suggestions are much appreciated and I'll certainly look into them.

    Sent from my iPad using iPF
    Also, you'd need to jail break the iPad to use that poster's suggestion, and I'm guessing that you don't necessarily want to do that.

    Tim

  9. #8
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    55293
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHill

    Thanks for your reply although I detect a bit of disaproval ("...If you really must...") and think I understand your anxiety; to seek your approval may I say that I do have and use a MacBook Pro with extensive server facilities for that purpose. I hope you would agree that any current web project ought to be tested on a variety of hand-held devices and for me, the iPad is top of that list. Which is why I'm looking for that functionality.

    Your suggestions are much appreciated and I'll certainly look into them.

    Sent from my iPad using iPF
    Sorry about the disapproval implication. I understand your desire and intentions, however; I do not understand why a developer would want to tax the limited memory (not storage) of the iPad by trying to run a server directly on it.
    While I agree with you about testing other devices, there are other less challenging options to help you succeed in testing whatever device you wish wherever you may roam instead of trying to deploy a web server directly on each device.
    Further complications will arise as your web pages evolve away from static.

    Personally, I would use my
    MacBook Pro with extensive server facilities for that purpose.
    Along with a mobile hotspot or wifi router.

    Also, yes you would have to jailbreak your iPad in order to make it do much of anything past what Apple approves.

    Best regards,
    RJBradlow

  10. #9
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    55286
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbradlow

    Sorry about the disapproval implication. I understand your desire and intentions, however; I do not understand why a developer would want to tax the limited memory (not storage) of the iPad by trying to run a server directly on it.
    While I agree with you about testing other devices, there are other less challenging options to help you succeed in testing whatever device you wish wherever you may roam instead of trying to deploy a web server directly on each device.
    Further complications will arise as your web pages evolve away from static.

    Personally, I would use my
    Along with a mobile hotspot or wifi router.

    Also, yes you would have to jailbreak your iPad in order to make it do much of anything past what Apple approves.

    Best regards,
    RJBradlow
    Thanks again, and I do agree with you. I'm no developer so my lack of technical knowledge has been exposed here!
    The jailbreak thing doesn't appeal and I've found the browser apps that do 'offline' seem a bit flaky (eg no images etc) so - your solution is good enough.
    Cheers.

    Sent from my iPad using iPF

  11. #10
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    27034
    Liked
    5 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Gettysburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,232
    Doesn't goodReader save HTML webpages for offline viewing?


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. HTML Demo on iPad
    By mahee in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM
  2. Not all pics show on long web pages?
    By ryandoc in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 08:48 AM
  3. Reading HTML files on iPad
    By lancer6238 in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 06:29 AM
  4. Getting TV show names to show up on iPad
    By SailorDave in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 09:37 PM
  5. HTML for iPad - is there a way to embed Keynote files?
    By Engywook in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Search tags for this page

display html on ipad
,

how to load html files into ipad

,
how to view html in ipad
,
ipad display html
,

ipad offline html files

,
load html file to ipad
,
load html files onto ipad
,
view html on ipad
Click on a term to search for related topics.