I'm not sure when it changed, possibly with the upgrade to iOS 5, but to put the iPad into Recovery Mode the steps are slightly different than in the OP for this thread. Here are the steps as of today...
The process is the same as the first post on this thread thereafter.
- Connect iPad to your computer via USB while it's turned on.
- Open iTunes
- Hold the iPad's Sleep/Wake switch (power button on the top of the iPad) down until the "power off" slider appears.
- Power off the iPad completely (wait for the progress spinner to disappear).
- Hold the Sleep/Wake switch AND the Home button down for a full 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds (the second time you'll see the Apple logo on the screen) release the Sleep/Wake switch while still holding the Home button.
- Continue to hold the Home button for another 10 seconds until the USB connection image appears on the iPad's screen, then release the Home button.
- A pop-up message will appear on iTunes saying it has detected an iPad in recovery mode, you must restore...
- Click on the "Restore" button and the process will begin.