I've been on the fence for a while deciding to buy this device. I waited too long and got a 3.2.2. I'm thinking of returning it to Best Buy and paying the restocking fee.
Just wish we'd know if a new downgrade procedure will indeed be devised.
agreed, the ipad is an amazing device. i wouldn't take it back. but at the same time, i'm a long time ipodtouch jailbreak user (since 1.0.1) and iphone jailbreak user (since 2.2.1) so when i got my ipad a few days ago, i looked at it and thought to myself... i can't do anything with this device without it jail broken. the apps are 4 times as expensive and i've NEVER paid for an app. i have to get all the 'lite' versions of stuff, and i don't have sbsettings or can't have more than one exchange account... etc. it's virtually useless without a jailbreak imo.
So first a hi to every iPad and apple and JB fan around :)
I am a iPad user since 3.2.1 - JUST before the devices started to go out with 3.2.2.
SLIGHT hiccup though:
I acquired an iPad WiFi 64 with firmware 3.2.1 and jail broke it immeddiately. Worked perfectly until I installed something from hackulos about email attachments and then the screen froze.
I rebooted but it wouldn't boot anymore - goes like "apple logo, turning wheel, then 2 lines on the side and bamm not going further - no idea why something somehwere went rogue.
I was forced to update to 3.2.2 and now that apple doesn't sign older firmware version I am unable to downgrade.
I clicked on "make my life easier"
Changed the hosts file. But it still won't communicate correctly giving me 3194 error.
I can't start umbrella - JVM error of some kind.
I am unable to purchase anything from app store as I am not eligible because of my country and the fact I refuse to have a credit card.
I tried every possible way out there to downgrade jailbrake etc etc but to no avail.
Making an ipsw changin the 7B405 into 7B500 didnt work, iTunes directly said its incompatible no checking or anything - maybe I did something wrong there.
SO if there is anyway of doing this would be amazing!!!
I am absolutely grateful for the work from dev team and cydia and all else who work hard for this without asking for any money in return and I would be extremely happy to hear indeed as some of You said if not a new jailbreak then at least a downgrade for the poor fellaws with 4.0.2 and 3.2.2.
I was thinking of an offline method like in most Adobe CorelDraw etc activations, there should be a way.
and indeed if we could have found out the codes in order to install as if apple technicians would have been great but I dont think this exactly would be possible.
Anyways I will keep on looking around.
Hope my small and almost useless info helps someone
I can't install Cydia either can someone help me i just bought my iPad yesterday.
I just tried this method of downgrading and it worked for me.
One thing that I did differently from the instructions is that I initiated the restore before I started the shsh server on the umbrella software.
Don't know if this made the difference, but may be worth a shot for those who can not get the downgrade to work.
Rlanger, which method , did you use ?
Did you have shshs on file with cydia before you did it ?
Yeah, but it doesnt work for everyone. for me for example it didnt work. neither with Recboot nor with manually entering in DFU mode which is fairly easy.
It still gives back the error 3194 even though the hosts files are as well modified to gs.apple.com etc etc etc.
So yeah cool news but not working all the time.
To whomever worked gratz :)
I've been working hard at this and still no luck.
Tried using iREB to bypass various iTunes errors but didn't work successfully.
The furthest I got was I decrypted 3.2 ramdisk and changed the version.plist, decrypted rootfs and changed version.plist there. Modified plist files in the ipsw to match the proper modified dmg files and rezipped but still no avail.
There was a simple exploit for 3 or 4 beta where they just modified the version.plist to run it without apple checks so i thought maybe it would work here. No luck. I tried upgrading to 4.2 but wasn't registered with apple, so i was forced to downgrade back to 3.2.2. There was a post somewhere about someone downgrading from 4.2 to 3.2 bypassing error 1015 with recboot. Anyone else had any luck?
I'm hoping for greenpois0n to be out quick. Not jb is terrible.