Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Just to get it clear... playing AVI files

This is a discussion on Just to get it clear... playing AVI files within the iPad Hacking forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; On a jailbroken iPad, with a Camera Connection Kit, can I play non-standard AVI files (possibly from a SDXC card), without the need to convert ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just to get it clear... playing AVI files

  1. #1
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    249296
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    30

    Just to get it clear... playing AVI files

    On a jailbroken iPad, with a Camera Connection Kit, can I play non-standard AVI files (possibly from a SDXC card), without the need to convert them?

    My understanding is that it's possible, but would like the matter clarified please

    Thanks!

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    168139
    Liked
    83 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,319
    Are you currently jailbroken, or want to jailbreak purely to play AVIs?
    dhewson777
    Brisbane, Australia

    iPad 2 , iPhone 4, MBA 11"
    Yes, I have windows PCs as well! (too many to list)

  4. #3
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    249296
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by dhewson777 View Post
    Are you currently jailbroken, or want to jailbreak purely to play AVIs?
    thanks for your reply.

    I'm about to buy my first iPad but the capability of playing several AVI (divx - xvid) files I already have without wasting time to convert them, is the key factor for the purchase decision (having already cleared other doubts I had before).

    I am going to jaibreak because it's free, it adds functionalities and allows to expand the device memory in a convenient way (for the record).

  5. #4
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    249781
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    You don't have to be JB to play other video formats. Apps such as BUZZ Player and MoliPlayer HD play pretty much all video types you can think off and it's simple to get them into the app via iTunes or over Wifi.
    yof likes this.

  6. #5
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    249296
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Highspeed123 View Post
    You don't have to be JB to play other video formats. Apps such as BUZZ Player and MoliPlayer HD play pretty much all video types you can think off and it's simple to get them into the app via iTunes or over Wifi.
    thanks!
    (I'd JB anyway, also because I will need external storage space for my AVI files)

  7. #6
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    168139
    Liked
    83 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by robnet77

    thanks!
    (I'd JB anyway, also because I will need external storage space for my AVI files)
    You don't need to jb for that either!
    dhewson777
    Brisbane, Australia

    iPad 2 , iPhone 4, MBA 11"
    Yes, I have windows PCs as well! (too many to list)

  8. #7
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    249296
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by dhewson777 View Post
    You don't need to jb for that either!
    if it's true, then I won't need to wait for the JB for iOS6 to come out, to buy an iPad!

    however, what's the sense of this thread then?

    Camera Connection Kit + Jailbreak = cheap video storage!

  9. #8
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    89032
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    York, UK
    Posts
    64
    FileBrowser might fit the bill, and no need to Jailbreak. You can stream movies and pictures from any Mac, Windows or Linux share on your network. FileBrowser will play any movie natively supported by the iPad directly, but for content such as avi movies you can send it to another app that will play it, such as CineXPlayer. Check out these links:

    FileBrowser - Access files on remote computers for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store

    Stratospherix - Products - FileBrowser - Overview

    CineXPlayer

  10. #9
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    13576
    Liked
    1447 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Western NY state (USA)
    Posts
    11,053

    Just to get it clear... playing AVI files

    Quote Originally Posted by robnet77 View Post
    if it's true, then I won't need to wait for the JB for iOS6 to come out, to buy an iPad!

    however, what's the sense of this thread then?

    Camera Connection Kit + Jailbreak = cheap video storage!
    Well, if you look at the first post, you'll see that it started in 2010, which was well before the Air Stash or Seagate got going. In addition, it's good to have the thread still going so that people (like me) who didn't get the external hard drives would still be able to get pointers on how to use the CCK with a jail broke iPad.

    Marilyn
    Space Gray 32GB WiFi-only iPad Air & Black 32GB iPhone 5 (both jailbroken on iOS 7.0.6 w/evasi0n7)
    * * * PLEASE READ * * * Forum Rules * * * Hacking Section Rules * * * PLEASE READ * * *

  11. #10
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    249296
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by JezzerP View Post
    FileBrowser might fit the bill, and no need to Jailbreak. You can stream movies and pictures from any Mac, Windows or Linux share on your network. FileBrowser will play any movie natively supported by the iPad directly, but for content such as avi movies you can send it to another app that will play it, such as CineXPlayer. Check out these links:

    FileBrowser - Access files on remote computers for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store

    Stratospherix - Products - FileBrowser - Overview

    CineXPlayer
    thanks for the info, I'll look into those links although I want to expand my storage and take it with me when needed, instead of relying on my home network...


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Playing Media Center .wtv files
    By Beerman in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 03:50 AM
  2. Playing pps files in the iPad
    By Iamjodda in forum iPad 3 Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
  3. Playing .WMV files on Ipad2
    By Fatboystu in forum iPad 2 Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 01:31 PM
  4. Help playing HD .mkv files on VLC for iPad.
    By eddkahn in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 12:37 PM
  5. Playing WMV files from iPad email
    By Stoofpilot in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Search tags for this page

how to play avi file in ipad 3 using external memory
,
how to play avi files on ipad
,
how to play avi on ipad
,
how to play avi on ipad 3
,

ipad avi player

,
ipad playing avi files
,
play avi on ipad
,
playing avi files on ipad
Click on a term to search for related topics.