Hi all, I have some questions about streaming video, jailbreaking and AppleTV. My setup is as follows:
- iPad2 3G 64gb (jbme.30)
- Win7 high end PC
- ReadyNAS duo 2Tb NAS device (built in DLNA server)
- 46inch sharp lcd tv - only has hdmi input - no usb or wifi or cat5
I have been steadily ripping my home DVD collection of movies and tv series to avi files and storing them on my NAS. I am now able to stream my movies directly to my iPad using Air Player. It all works pretty well with above average video quality. I'm no audio/video-phile so I can make do with some degradation from the original DVD's.
I do have a few problems with this setup:
1) the ipad is tethered to the tv for the duration of watching my movies. grrrr
2) there is no remote for the ipad.
3) Air Player is not very stable and i have quite a few problems getting the video to display on the tv through hdmi. It also occasionally drops out for no apparent reason.
I have also trialled AirVideo which has it's own server app on the PC. It has much better video quality and functionality i.e. Resume playback from last position than
I am considering another solution but I'm not really sure what to do. So can someone either confirm the assumptions or answer my questions below:
1) AppleTV can only stream from movies from iTunes? If true and there is no way around this it'll be a show stopper for me - i hate iTunes with passion.
2) Can AppleTV be jailbroken?
3) What are benefits of jb AppleTV?
4) Is there software available that would allow me to stream from dlna to AppleTV.
5) Can you control AppleTV from iPad?
Off the wall, should I just avoid AppleTV and go for some other hardware solution that will stream from DLNA natively AND allow control from my IPad? Any suggestions?
Kenilik - New Zealand - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF