Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

TVOut with J/B

This is a discussion on TVOut with J/B within the iPad Hacking forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; I'm not completely new to the jailbreak concept but chose to j/b my iPod Touch 2nd Gen only after the first big iOS update that ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: TVOut with J/B

  1. #1
    iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    19741
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    111

    TVOut with J/B

    I'm not completely new to the jailbreak concept but chose to j/b my iPod Touch 2nd Gen only after the first big iOS update that left my particular model out in the cold.

    The only thing I would want to j/b my iPad for would be to make use of the TVOut app which allows everything to display in a TV with the audio/video connector, not just those apps designed to do so. Particularly Notebooks for iPad.

    Does anyone make use of this app/feature made available through jailbreaking? Does it work reasonably well? Given that it's the only thing that would really attract me to jailbreaking at the present moment, is it worth the bother?

    P.S. I have the first gen iPad, 64GB wifi only, and I do have the audio/video cable already. The one with the composite video out, not the single yellow video out.

    Thanks in advance.
    64GB WiFi

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    Banned
    Member #
    12904
    Liked
    35 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Posts
    3,655
    Well... There is two ways. Both with a jailbreak requirement.

    1. Editing the k4ap.plist to enable it so it thinks it's doing what the iPad 2 does. (recommended)
    2. Display out. Available from Cydia. Runs slower than method 1 and the resolution is worse.

    Let me know which one you want to do.

  4. #3
    iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    19741
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    Well... There is two ways. Both with a jailbreak requirement.

    1. Editing the k4ap.plist to enable it so it thinks it's doing what the iPad 2 does. (recommended)
    2. Display out. Available from Cydia. Runs slower than method 1 and the resolution is worse.

    Let me know which one you want to do.
    Well, given that there seems to be a price to be payed in the form of resolution quality, I would probable go with the first option. There appears to be an actual app called TVOut available through Cydia which, until your reply just now, I thought was the only way.... so.... I guess editing the k4ap.plist, which is not something with which I am familiar, but would be willing to study up on. I have a pretty big TV (61 inch LED) so resolution is a factor.
    64GB WiFi

  5. #4
    Banned
    Member #
    12904
    Liked
    35 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreybies

    Well, given that there seems to be a price to be payed in the form of resolution quality, I would probable go with the first option. There appears to be an actual app called TVOut available through Cydia which, until your reply just now, I thought was the only way.... so.... I guess editing the k4ap.plist, which is not something with which I am familiar, but would be willing to study up on. I have a pretty big TV (61 inch LED) so resolution is a factor.
    Alright, so. It looks like a lot but it really isn't.

    1. Get ifile from Cydia.
    2. Open ifile and go to system/library/coreservices/springboard.app
    3. Scroll down to k4ap.plist.
    4. Tap on k4ap and open it with the property list viewer.
    5. Tap on capabilities.
    6. Down in the bottom left tap on the + sign.
    7. For the name type (no quotes) "display-mirroring" all lowercase.
    8. Tap on type, right below the name.
    9. Select "Boolean"
    10. In the top right tap create.
    11. You should see display-mirroring in the list. Slide the slider to on.
    12. Tap done in the top right.
    13. If a new file appears below the k4ap.plist that wasn't there before, just swipe and delete it.
    Reboot and plug in!

  6. #5
    iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    19741
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post

    Alright, so. It looks like a lot but it really isn't.

    1. Get ifile from Cydia.
    2. Open ifile and go to system/library/coreservices/springboard.app
    3. Scroll down to k4ap.plist.
    4. Tap on k4ap and open it with the property list viewer.
    5. Tap on capabilities.
    6. Down in the bottom left tap on the + sign.
    7. For the name type (no quotes) "display-mirroring" all lowercase.
    8. Tap on type, right below the name.
    9. Select "Boolean"
    10. In the top right tap create.
    11. You should see display-mirroring in the list. Slide the slider to on.
    12. Tap done in the top right.
    13. If a new file appears below the k4ap.plist that wasn't there before, just swipe and delete it.
    Reboot and plug in!
    Ok, this is str8 forward enough. So, just to be clear, the end result should be that when I plug my iPad into my audio/video cable connector thingy to my TV, I will get iPad on screen on the TV no matter what I am doing or app which is running? Yes?

    P.S. In the past I have used Fugu, not iFile. Does it have to be iFile?
    64GB WiFi

  7. #6
    Banned
    Member #
    12904
    Liked
    35 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreybies

    Ok, this is str8 forward enough. So, just to be clear, the end result should be that when I plug my iPad into my audio/video cable connector thingy to my TV, I will get iPad on screen on the TV no matter what I am doing or app which is running? Yes?

    P.S. In the past I have used Fugu, not iFile. Does it have to be iFile?
    It will display everything you see unless an app has the tv out function already enabled.
    And I would use ifile, it is easier and my instructions are for ifile. And ifile is free so no loss.

  8. #7
    iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    19741
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    It will display everything you see unless an app has the tv out function already enabled.
    And I would use ifile, it is easier and my instructions are for ifile. And ifile is free so no loss.
    Ah..... understood. I just reread your instructions which I now see seem to make it clear that iFile is running on my actual iPad, not a program on my Mac. Do I have this correct? Because if that is the case, that is better. Fugu was sometimes a bit of a pain and it means being tethered to an extent to my Mac to make things happen which is.... less than optimal.
    64GB WiFi

  9. #8
    Banned
    Member #
    12904
    Liked
    35 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreybies

    Ah..... understood. I just reread your instructions which I now see seem to make it clear that iFile is running on my actual iPad, not a program on my Mac. Do I have this correct? Because if that is the case, that is better. Fugu was sometimes a bit of a pain and it means being tethered to an extent to my Mac to make things happen which is.... less than optimal.
    Ifile is an app on the iPad from Cydia. You can do this with a Mac, but it adds another level of complexity.

  10. #9
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    27034
    Liked
    5 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Gettysburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    And I would use ifile, it is easier and my instructions are for ifile. And ifile is free so no loss.
    Thanks for the great instructions but uhhhhmmmm.....not sure where you get your file from but mine cost $4....

  11. #10
    Banned
    Member #
    12904
    Liked
    35 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTL4W

    Thanks for the great instructions but uhhhhmmmm.....not sure where you get your file from but mine cost $4....
    It has a free and paid version.
    I used the free version, then decided that I really liked it so I bought it.
    I didn't get it illegally!


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

cydia tv out
,
cydia tv out app
,
cydia tv out ipad
,
ipad 1 tv out cydia
,
ipad tv out cydia
,
tv out cydia
,

tv out ipad 2 cydia

,
tv out ipad jailbreak
Click on a term to search for related topics.