This is a discussion on Official iPad2 Jailbreak Chat Thread within the iPad Hacking forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Originally Posted by fireslayer I have an ipad2 yes. I downloaded the 4.3.3 through a link on redmondpie. I'm assuming that's what ur asking. I ...
15" MacBookPro with Retina Display 16GB 3.4GHz i7 256GB | iPad4 WiFi 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad3 4G 64GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.1.1 (redsn0w) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme) |
iPhone5 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPhone4 32GB 4.3.3 (jbme) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme) | iPod Classic 6G 160GB (stock) | AppleTV 2G 5.0.2 (seas0npass)
Please review the hacking section rules and our main rules before posting!
New to the forum here. First off.. great work.. I have spent hours already reading through the various threads. You guys all know your stuff.
Here are the facts:
I recently purchased an ipad 2 in the hopes that it would have 4.3.3 installed.. no luck.. 4.3.5. So I don't have my blobs = downgrading is not an option. At this point i am waiting for iOS 5 but am wondering......
I have 1 week left where i can return the device for a full refund. I know that iOS 5 is supposed to come out on or after Oct 4th, however the iphone 5 wont be in consumers hands until oct 10-14th (just rough dates)
I bought the ipad 2 for jailbreak purposes. Mainly to use the CCK with ifile to use as external storage along with other cydia tweaks
Here is what i understand:
The dev guys wont release the jailbreak for the ipad 2 running iOS 5 until they have tested it on iphone 5 as it is rumored to have the A5 chip making it the same JB as the ipad 2. i know that they have found 5 userland exploits for the ipad 2 running iOS 5.
Here is my question:
Am I better to return the ipad 2 now and wait for the jailbreak to be released and then buy a new one, or just keep this one knowing that the iOS 5 Jb will be out soon? do i run the risk of irreversibly damaging my ipad 2 with a jailbreak where it would be nice to be able to return it to the store for a full refund if something went wrong during the process if i could?
I already used jailbreakme to JB my wifes ipad 2 and am hoping that the next solution for me will will be that simple. I also dont want to wait months for the JB for iOS 5 either but understand the devs need time to make sure it is perfect. I know that waiting is the only thing we can do.
1) AFAIK, the Dev Team is waiting for iOS5 to be released, not the iPhone. Again, AFAIK, the reason why no one is talking about those 5 exploits is so that Apple doesn't have the opportunity to fix the software. It's just timing that the iPhone5 is coming out. The main focus [for the jailbreak(s)] is iOS5.
2) You can't "irreversibly damaging my ipad 2 with a jailbreak." At the worst, you muck up the jailbreak (by installing an incompatible tweak, for example) and you have to restore the iPad to stock. You'll simply have to put the most current firmware on the iPad. You really can't damage an iPad with a jailbreak.
Ultimately, it's entirely up to you, whether you wait or not. If the iPad is useless to you without a jailbreak, and you can't use it stock until a jailbreak is released, then maybe you should take it back. The key problem is - no one knows what's going to happen.
My suggestion is to use the iPad as is and wait. As a stock tablet - it's pretty darn cool! You'll be missing out on using one while you wait. Just my $.02 (USD).
I go agree that as tablets go the ipad is pretty cool. I am find more and more uses for it every day
I will sit tight with it and see what comes of Oct 4ths release.
Do you think that users will be able to update their devices to iOS 5 on the same day it is announced or do we have to wait for something else? I have never been this close to a new iOS before so this waiting process is all new to me.
Although it was only a year ago that Apple announced iOS 4.x, I really don't remember when we were able to download it. But, I should imagine that it'll be live shortly after any announcement. If it goes live, then go for it - download it and upgrade your iPad.
Keep in mind, however, that Apple is not saying anything about what's coming this Tuesday. We cannot assume iOS5 will be announced then.
I'm just trying to keep the rumors down to a dull roar...because no one here knows what Apple is doing...
Well I can't decide for you but if I were you I would just wait. I'm pretty confident a jailbreak will be released not long after iOS 5 comes out. I'd pretty much bet they've already jailbroken an iPad2 with the exploits they found. I've been waiting a long time and I'm going to wait a little longer... but what you decide ultimately has to be up to you. iOS 5 is supposed to be amazing in and of itself and I'm going to upgrade immediately since I doubt there will ever be another jailbreak for iOS 4. I can always sell it on Craigslist or eBay if a JB is never released... then again I may like iOS 5 so much I keep it anyway. Only time will tell.
So is there going to be any way to upgrade to iOS5 and keep jailbreak on the iPad 2? I've got my iPad 2 on 4.3.3 jailbroken, but was wondering if we could update and keep jailbreak.
Can I jailbreak my iPad2?
You can only jailbreak your iPad2 if it currently has iOS Version 4.3.3 installed on it. There is no jailbreak for any other version. Sorry.
Waiting for that “Next Thing” means you’d never buy anything.
Great thread, thanks for the info Leigh!
And great to hear they already have some exploits! How about those, they should be able to jailbreak a GM version of iOS 5, shouldn't they?
What about the iPad 2? Any news?
I have an iPad 1 and just bought an iPad 2 for my girlfriend. Didn't know about this jailbreak problem, though, lol.
So, for what I understood, there is a chance that on iOS 5 they can jailbreak the iPad 2, right? With the impending release, those nice hacker fellows must be eating the iOS apart, I hope! =)