Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

ipad & iphone tether

This is a discussion on ipad & iphone tether within the iPad Hacking forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Currently I own a jailbroken Ipad 1. After I got the ipad 1, I bought an iphone 4. My Ipad 1 is wi-fi not 3G. ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    34680
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana and Florida
    Posts
    14

    ipad & iphone tether

    Currently I own a jailbroken Ipad 1. After I got the ipad 1, I bought an iphone 4. My Ipad 1 is wi-fi not 3G. My question is: to tether my two devices, do I need to jailbreak the iphone as well? Will the cydia app. work to do this or do I need to add that to the iphone?

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    36502
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Munchkin52
    Currently I own a jailbroken Ipad 1. After I got the ipad 1, I bought an iphone 4. My Ipad 1 is wi-fi not 3G. My question is: to tether my two devices, do I need to jailbreak the iphone as well? Will the cydia app. work to do this or do I need to add that to the iphone?
    I JB both my wifi iPad 1 and iPhone 4 then installed MyWi 4.0 app from Cydia to my iPhone to tether my iPad and MacBook Pro.

    From my understanding the 3G iDevice (iPhone or iPad) has to be the source of the tethered connection. If I'm wrong, some of the forum Masters will clarify.
    Last edited by Anomalous; 04-22-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    When I let go of who I am, I become what I might be. --Lao Tzu

  4. #3
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    14571
    Liked
    632 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Troon, Scotland
    Posts
    7,104
    If you purchase a tethering data plan on your phone, that's all you need. 4.3.2 on the phone has a personal hotspot feature that the iPad can connect to. No JB required.

    If you don't want to purchase a tethering plan, iTether or MyWi on a jailbroken phone will allow you to use your paid for 3G data plan via tethering, but nothing I know of will get you additional data you did not pay for.
    I use iTether for the very small amount of tethering I need.
    15" MacBookPro with Retina Display 16GB 3.4GHz i7 256GB | iPad4 WiFi 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad3 4G 64GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.1.1 (redsn0w) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme) |
    iPhone5 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPhone4 32GB 7.0b2 (stock) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme) | iPod Classic 6G 160GB (stock) | AppleTV 2G 5.0.2 (seas0npass)


    Please review the hacking section rules and our main rules before posting!

  5. #4
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    48451
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by f4780y View Post
    If you purchase a tethering data plan on your phone, that's all you need. 4.3.2 on the phone has a personal hotspot feature that the iPad can connect to. No JB required.

    If you don't want to purchase a tethering plan, iTether or MyWi on a jailbroken phone will allow you to use your paid for 3G data plan via tethering, but nothing I know of will get you additional data you did not pay for.
    I use iTether for the very small amount of tethering I need.
    I have an iphone 4 JB, and a ipad 2 (not JB) . By the sounds of it, if I add either iTether or MyWi to the phone, i'll be able to get the ipad connected without jailbreaking it? That's what i'm looking to do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

  6. #5
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    14571
    Liked
    632 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Troon, Scotland
    Posts
    7,104
    Quote Originally Posted by kurisk

    I have an iphone 4 JB, and a ipad 2 (not JB) . By the sounds of it, if I add either iTether or MyWi to the phone, i'll be able to get the ipad connected without jailbreaking it? That's what i'm looking to do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Exactly right. ITether if you have 4.3.2. MyWi if you don't or want additional features of MyWi.
    15" MacBookPro with Retina Display 16GB 3.4GHz i7 256GB | iPad4 WiFi 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad3 4G 64GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.1.1 (redsn0w) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme) |
    iPhone5 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPhone4 32GB 7.0b2 (stock) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme) | iPod Classic 6G 160GB (stock) | AppleTV 2G 5.0.2 (seas0npass)


    Please review the hacking section rules and our main rules before posting!

  7. #6
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    48451
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2
    I haven't upgraded to 4.3.2 yet, wasn't sure if there was a JB for it yet. Thus far i've been jailbreaking for the LockInfo. A feature greatly overlooked by the Apply Overlords. Is there a JB for 4.3.2 already?

  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    14571
    Liked
    632 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Troon, Scotland
    Posts
    7,104
    Quote Originally Posted by kurisk
    I haven't upgraded to 4.3.2 yet, wasn't sure if there was a JB for it yet. Thus far i've been jailbreaking for the LockInfo. A feature greatly overlooked by the Apply Overlords. Is there a JB for 4.3.2 already?
    Yes. Visit the hacking section. Lots of good info in stickies. See my sig too.
    15" MacBookPro with Retina Display 16GB 3.4GHz i7 256GB | iPad4 WiFi 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad3 4G 64GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.1.1 (redsn0w) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme) |
    iPhone5 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPhone4 32GB 7.0b2 (stock) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme) | iPod Classic 6G 160GB (stock) | AppleTV 2G 5.0.2 (seas0npass)


    Please review the hacking section rules and our main rules before posting!

  9. #8
    Banned
    Member #
    12904
    Liked
    35 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Posts
    3,655
    I have an LG Env touch, and I have an unlimited data plan on it. Because the screen is so small, and laggy, I use ibluever, from Cydia, to tether via Bluetooth. Fast, and takes less battery than wifi tethering.

  10. #9
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    34680
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana and Florida
    Posts
    14
    Here's an update to my post about jb the iPhone. Did this quickly and easily.
    Downloaded PDA net for free. Worked great. Tethered iPhone to my iPad 2 for 2 hour ride in car. Lucky to have unlimited data plan (grandfathered in).
    Don't plan on doing this very often, but it was absolutely simple and tether took less than 10 seconds.

    Sent from my iPad using iPF

  11. #10
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    49063
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Munchkin52
    Here's an update to my post about jb the iPhone. Did this quickly and easily.
    Downloaded PDA net for free. Worked great. Tethered iPhone to my iPad 2 for 2 hour ride in car. Lucky to have unlimited data plan (grandfathered in).
    Don't plan on doing this very often, but it was absolutely simple and tether took less than 10 seconds.

    Sent from my iPad using iPF
    I installed PDAnet last night on my iPhone and got a wifi hotspot setup in minutes for my laptop.
    The website mentions a 14 day trial though so not sure it's completely free to use.


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Iphone as a wifi tether for Ipad
    By Dawgluver in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 12:14 PM
  2. How to tether ipad to iphone
    By Koula in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 10:54 AM
  3. Tether Wifi ipad with iphone 4 via bluetooth???
    By Zelphon in forum iPad Hacking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2010, 03:30 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 03:35 AM
  5. How To Tether Your iPhone 4 To Your iPad
    By PhilSynowiec in forum Apple iPad News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 05:40 AM

Search tags for this page

how to tether ipad to iphone

,
how to tether ipad to iphone 4 without jailbreaking
,
how to tether ipad to iphone without jailbreak
,
how to tether iphone 4 for free without jailbreaking
,
how to tether iphone to ipad
,

tether ipad to iphone

,

tether iphone to ipad

,

tether iphone to ipad without jailbreaking

Click on a term to search for related topics.