Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Jailbreak 4.2 with working cydia

This is a discussion on Jailbreak 4.2 with working cydia within the iPad Hacking forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Found this guide http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-...-how-to-guide/ Not tried it myself yet the only problem I can see is how do you turn on ssh to install cydia?...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    16965
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5

    Jailbreak 4.2 with working cydia

    Found this guide
    http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-...-how-to-guide/

    Not tried it myself yet the only problem I can see is how do you turn on ssh to install cydia?
    Last edited by Efc911; 11-21-2010 at 05:55 PM.

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    20164
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    58
    think I will let someone else try it 1st don't wanna risk it.

  4. #3
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    17100
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    israel
    Posts
    44
    its possible to do with Windows ? or only MAC ?
    PLEASE becouse when i was using the Last time its not work my cydia and all was black + no multitasking working and more big problems not reccomand!!
    Last edited by iPadCharlie; 11-21-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Please watch your language!

  5. #4
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    16965
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5
    It does work as the guy has a picture of ios 4.2 as the operating system at the bottom of cydia and he mentions windows . I will try this when I get a chance

  6. #5
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    17100
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    israel
    Posts
    44
    but you still not answer did im need mac or i can use windows

  7. #6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    14571
    Liked
    632 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Troon, Scotland
    Posts
    7,104
    Quote Originally Posted by naty48 View Post
    but you still not answer did im need mac or i can use windows
    I can confirm it does work, but since it is pwnagetool based it is Mac only. I would not recommend anyone tries this themselves unless they understand the process which is described on redmondpie. It is not really for those who need their hand held at this stage.
    The end result is buggy at best, and as stated, is really only for developers of jailbroken applications who want to get a head start on compatibility issues. Many things are still broken.
    The general populous IMHO should leave it alone until a stable JB for 4.2.1 public is released in the coming weeks...
    Hope that helps.
    15" MacBookPro with Retina Display 16GB 3.4GHz i7 256GB | iPad4 WiFi 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad3 4G 64GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.1.1 (redsn0w) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme) |
    iPhone5 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPhone4 32GB 7.0b2 (stock) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme) | iPod Classic 6G 160GB (stock) | AppleTV 2G 5.0.2 (seas0npass)


    Please review the hacking section rules and our main rules before posting!

  8. #7
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    21473
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    9
    I've tried that but I get stuck at step 14.

    Step 14: Reboot your device in Recovery Mode, start Terminal on OS X and run the following command:

    sudo sh

    This will ask for your root password. Once you have entered the password, run the following commands:

    cd ~/Desktop/tetheredboot

    ./tetheredboot iBSS kernel

    it says somenthing about cannot find the image.

    And after that I kinda "bricked" my iPad. got it working after a few hours. so if anyone does succeed with it please let me know how to get pass that step.

    @Naty8 I did it on Mac OSX because I don't know how I can get into the package content on Windows. mayB it will be possible if you know how to do that.
    Last edited by SterAllures; 11-22-2010 at 07:49 AM.

  9. #8
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    21478
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West USA
    Posts
    2

    Exclamation The REAL DEAL with 4.2.1 & redsn0w

    Quote Originally Posted by f4780y View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by naty48 View Post
    but you still not answer did im need mac or i can use windows
    I can confirm it does work, but since it is pwnagetool based it is Mac only. I would not recommend anyone tries this themselves unless they understand the process which is described on redmondpie. It is not really for those who need their hand held at this stage.
    The end result is buggy at best, and as stated, is really only for developers of jailbroken applications who want to get a head start on compatibility issues. Many things are still broken.
    The general populous IMHO should leave it alone until a stable JB for 4.2.1 public is released in the coming weeks...
    Hope that helps.
    I'm sorry, but you are once again misinformed. Yesterday you posted on another thread that there was no way to jailbreak 4.2/4.2.1 for iPad - even though the devteam had already posted the new version of redsn0w for that very purpose. Today you are saying that 4.2.1 is not "stable" and "buggy at best (which is just something that you read on another website)".

    For anyone who wants ACTUAL FACTUAL information - the redsn0w jailbreak released yesterday for 4.2.1 is not buggy, and the jailbroken system is PERFECTLY STABLE, with no battery drainage or anything else of the sort. The only single issue is that you must patch cydia afterwards in order for it to work without crashing before loading.

    I have been running jailbroken 4.2.1 on my iPad, with Cydia, and have not had a single issue, nor have I noticed any bugs.

    Follow the tutorial at redmondpie and you can't go wrong. Also, since it is a GM and not a final version, you will be able to downgrade to a lower version without any trouble at all.

  10. #9
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    21478
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West USA
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SterAllures View Post
    I've tried that but I get stuck at step 14.

    Step 14: Reboot your device in Recovery Mode, start Terminal on OS X and run the following command:

    sudo sh

    This will ask for your root password. Once you have entered the password, run the following commands:

    cd ~/Desktop/tetheredboot

    ./tetheredboot iBSS kernel

    it says somenthing about cannot find the image.

    And after that I kinda "bricked" my iPad. got it working after a few hours. so if anyone does succeed with it please let me know how to get pass that step.

    @Naty8 I did it on Mac OSX because I don't know how I can get into the package content on Windows. mayB it will be possible if you know how to do that.
    Hi, no need to boot tethered using terminal. Just use the newest version of redsn0w to "boot tethered for now" instead, and you will be fine. There's a new tutorial on redmondpie that will show you. The ./tetheredboot iBSS kernel was for booting tethered from terminal before the new version of redsn0w came out, but the new version of redsn0w does the tethered boot for you.

  11. #10
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    14571
    Liked
    632 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Troon, Scotland
    Posts
    7,104
    Quote Originally Posted by iPadDev View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by f4780y View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by naty48 View Post
    but you still not answer did im need mac or i can use windows
    I can confirm it does work, but since it is pwnagetool based it is Mac only. I would not recommend anyone tries this themselves unless they understand the process which is described on redmondpie. It is not really for those who need their hand held at this stage.
    The end result is buggy at best, and as stated, is really only for developers of jailbroken applications who want to get a head start on compatibility issues. Many things are still broken.
    The general populous IMHO should leave it alone until a stable JB for 4.2.1 public is released in the coming weeks...
    Hope that helps.
    I'm sorry, but you are once again misinformed. Yesterday you posted on another thread that there was no way to jailbreak 4.2/4.2.1 for iPad - even though the devteam had already posted the new version of redsn0w for that very purpose. Today you are saying that 4.2.1 is not "stable" and "buggy at best (which is just something that you read on another website)".

    For anyone who wants ACTUAL FACTUAL information - the redsn0w jailbreak released yesterday for 4.2.1 is not buggy, and the jailbroken system is PERFECTLY STABLE, with no battery drainage or anything else of the sort. The only single issue is that you must patch cydia afterwards in order for it to work without crashing before loading.

    I have been running jailbroken 4.2.1 on my iPad, with Cydia, and have not had a single issue, nor have I noticed any bugs.

    Follow the tutorial at redmondpie and you can't go wrong. Also, since it is a GM and not a final version, you will be able to downgrade to a lower version without any trouble at all.
    Whatever dude. I'm not going to apologise for another post which was at worst a few hours behind the scene and was done with the best intentions. Nor will I apologise for offering what I stated was my honest opinion at the time and guidance which was in line with what the devteam said - "PLEASE CONSIDER THIS AN ADVANCED TOPIC!! It’s not meant for the masses because it involves rather nerdy things like command lines and tar files. But for those who know how to use this new redsn0w feature, have fun!"

    Oh, and welcome to the forum...
    Last edited by f4780y; 11-22-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    15" MacBookPro with Retina Display 16GB 3.4GHz i7 256GB | iPad4 WiFi 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad3 4G 64GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.1.1 (redsn0w) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme) |
    iPhone5 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPhone4 32GB 7.0b2 (stock) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme) | iPod Classic 6G 160GB (stock) | AppleTV 2G 5.0.2 (seas0npass)


    Please review the hacking section rules and our main rules before posting!


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Jailbreak Ipad but can't see Icons fm Cydia
    By Starman002 in forum iPad Hacking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 04:43 AM
  2. Gps not working after jailbreak 3.2.1?
    By gorillaking in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 03:36 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 04:48 PM

Search tags for this page

cydia for ipad 2 4.2.1
,
cydia not launching after jailbreak 4.2.1
,

cydia not working 4.2.1

,

cydia not working after jailbreak 4.2.1

,
cydia not working ipad 4.2
,
green venom jailbreak
,
how to jailbreak ipad 4.2 cydia
,
ipad 4.2 jailbreak cydia
,
jailbreak 4.2 working cydia redmond pie
,
jailbreaking 4.2 with working cydia
,
naty8
,
no cydia after jailbreak 4.2.1
Click on a term to search for related topics.