Upgrading from the Ipad2 5 firmware to 7
This is a discussion on Upgrading from the Ipad2 5 firmware to 7 within the iPad Hacking forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Hello, I have not been not been following the scene lately and had previously missed the update cut off and am stuck in firmware 5 ...
Post By Mickey330
Upgrading from the Ipad2 5 firmware to 7
Hello, I have not been not been following the scene lately and had previously missed the update cut off and am stuck in firmware 5 but am I right in thinking that there is not a 5- 7 update??? after reading this...Ultimate List of Jailbreak Tweaks
So is this untethered now?
If this is the case, in your expert opinion which is the best way to go about upgrading (obviously i have a pc and leads etc.).
thanks and sorry for being a super noob
01-18-2014 06:57 AM
Oh, you haven't missed anything! Well, unless you own and original iPad 1 - that can't be updated past iOS 5.1.1. But, if you have an iPad 2 or newer, read on because yes, you can update and yes, you can jail break. Here's what I recommend you do:
Originally Posted by winzentween101
(1) Download a copy of iOS 7.0.4 for your particular device from here: Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPad
You should end up with a .IPSW file saved (just remember where you put it)
(2) Back up your iPad in iTunes (make a note of the date/time of the backup). Oh, and make sure you have the latest version of iTunes (it's 220.127.116.11 as of this writing). You can download the latest from Apple. You'll need the latest because iOS 7.0.4 does not work without the most current iTunes (11.1 or higher)
Just in case, if you have any pictures on the iPad, save them in another place (copy and paste them to your PC is what I'd do). Also, if you have stuff on the iPad you don't want to lose, save that to another spot also. This is just a precaution, but sometimes weird stuff happens when jumping two iOS versions (as you skipped iOS 6).
Oh, and write down all the Cydia tweaks you've installed. You're going to want that list for later so you know what to put back on once you've jail broken it.
An honest note: Given that your existing iOS is so old, I would recommend you save your files elsewhere and consider restoring your iPad to iOS 7.0.4 as a new device (not using a backup). I'm of the opinion it's make for a cleaner device and get rid of any stray code and such that May have gotten into your backups. Just save the important files, first....
(3) Now follow the steps here to restore your device to the most current iOS: HOW-TO Upgrade your 6.x Jailbroken iPad
Yes, this link says it's from upgrading from a jail broken iOS 6.x device. But, the steps are still the same; just substitute 7.0.4 wherever it's mention about a new iOS. Cause you can only go to iOS 7.0.4...
If you're not going to use your backup, go on to step 4. If you are going to use your backup, may I suggest you wait until after you jail break the iPad? Then, you won't have to wait for all your "stuff" to get back on it. If you're going to wait, elect to "restore as new" when iTunes prompts you to. The object is to just get the iPad active enough to jail break it. Then, you can sort it out later.
(4) Now that the iPad is on iOS 7.0.4, jail break it with the help of this tutorial: How to Untethered Jailbreak your iOS 7.0 - 7.0.4 device using Evasi0n7 [Windows/OSX]
(5) Now that it's jail broken, if you decided not to restore from the backup, now start the process of putting everything back on it (both AppStore apps and jail break tweaks). Wheee!
If you want to use your old backup, now's the time to put it on. Do so by connecting the iPad back to iTunes and right click on the iPad tab. Select "restore from backup" and iTunes will do its magic to put your iPad back the way it was. Well, except it'll be on iOS 7.0.4...
And that's it!
Hopefully, this'll be clear enough to follow. Be sure to holler back if you need clarification or help on a step. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Space Gray 32GB WiFi-only iPad Air & Black 32GB iPhone 5 (both jailbroken on iOS 7.0.4 w/evasi0n7)
* * * PLEASE READ * * * Forum Rules * * * Hacking Section Rules * * * PLEASE READ * * *
By liormo in forum iPad Hacking
Last Post: 11-24-2013, 07:03 PM
By f4780y in forum Jailbreaking & Hacking Tutorials & How-To Guides
Last Post: 08-09-2013, 11:34 PM
By maani_ch in forum Jailbreaking & Hacking Tutorials & How-To Guides
Last Post: 12-21-2011, 06:20 AM
By nealh in forum iPad Hacking
Last Post: 03-17-2011, 03:08 PM
By semajmik in forum iPad Hacking
Last Post: 01-21-2011, 09:37 AM