I know, it's discussed ad nauseum, but it's an important question. After all, what works for one, isnt necessarily the right fit for another. I would greatly appreciate any advice on my individual situation and what device may be best suited for our needs.
I'm a PC guy. I've worked in IT and live in Windows all day, every day for the past two decades. I have an Android phone.
My Wife, is an Apple girl. She has an iPhone 5. Her Sony Vaio laptop i bought her 4 years ago just crapped out, and our home PC is one hard shut down away from the scrapyard. Currently, all of our music lives on the PC (in iTunes) and all of our Photos in Google Picasa on my work laptop. Documents are spread out.
So, we've decided to get an Apple for ourselves to replace her laptop, but which one? iPad or Macbook? That, is the question. Here's a list of things I would like this solution to do for us, and my concerns:
- Surf Web
- Manage Music (iTunes) (about 20GB) Currently)
- Manage Photos (Store, View, Edit, Print, Share, Offload from Camera, Backup) (About 20GB Currently)
- Read/Write Email
- Facebook, Games, Twitter
- Stream Movies, Music, Netflix, Hulu, etc
- Read/Create Documents (Resume, Letters, Recipes, etc)
- Take with us on trips for the above
I like the idea of an iPad and know it will do all of the above perfectly. I'm just worried about the big two; managing iTunes our Music and Photos. Here are those concerns:
1. Storage - Where to store all of this stuff? Even if i go Macbook i still would want them backed up to central storage and/or accessible from other devices. iCloud is too $$, other cloud solutions arent much cheaper and seem more difficult to deal with, local NAS storage seems like a decent option but accessing via other devices isnt an option in that setup. This has to be my main concern regardless of device. I just need a system, and i'm not comfortable with Apple's ecosystem enough to know what works best. Admittedly, my current system isnt ideal, but at least it works. (Picasa -> Google+, Print via Shutterfly)
2. Managing Music - Right now the wife connects her iPhone/iPod/iTouch to the PC when she wants to sync her iTunes Library or Playlists. She uses the PC to manage her updates as well. Well, what if those go away? What about Backups? iCloud? Can you Manage your Library if it's hosted entirely in the cloud? I need to learn more about this, but how are you doing it?
3. Managing Photos - I need to be able to seemlessly move photos from the iPhone or Camera to the storage solution (Be in in the Cloud, Local Network or Device Storage). 99% of our pictures are of our 1.5 year old daughter. So, we produce a lot. Can i edit them on the iPad but they live in the cloud? Can i easily back them up to a local device from the cloud (or replicate to another cloud service)
Those are the 3 biggies. Logistics really. Even if i go Macbook I still have these concerns, except that you can plug in the iOS devices into the Macbook to update and you can store all your music/photos/docs on the macbook itself. I just can't afford both!
Thanks for any and all help. Very, very much appreciated!