Now early retired & with no need of a full computer, I have been making use of Android tablets - unwilling to pay the premium price of the original ipad or ipad 2 when they both needed a computer & itunes to get them to work.
In the UK, prices of the ipad2 are now comparable to, if not cheaper than, those of premium android tablets. The "new ipad" is the same when considered against the newest batch of premium android devices.
Here is what I think I know, but am posting to try to get definitive answers from knowledgeable folk Could someone be kind enough to confirm or rebut what follows. Thanks very much.
1. IOS 5 did away with the need to own a separate PC to own an i-thingummy. They are now available as standalone devices. I can buy & use one without needing a computer as well. Updates to the OS are done over the air.
2. I can open an account on the app store & get apps without itunes or a computer
3. I can transfer files to an ipad via email attachment or via Dropbox without a computer
What I don't know...
1. Can I play mp3 files on an ipad without itunes on a computer
2. Can I play mp4 videos on an ipad without itunes on a computer
3. Can I play flv videos on an ipad without itunes on a computer
4. Are there alternative browsers that "cheat" flash content into being visible
5. Can you get BBC iplayer or other on demand services on an ipad without itunes on a computer
6. Can I "factory reset" my ipad without itunes on a computer
7. Can I back up my ipad to iCloud without itunes on a computer
Generally, I guess I am asking if the ipad is now fully standalone & can be used without iTunes - which has to be on a computer AFAIK.
And seeing as I am being a nuisance & asking a lot - am I best advised to buy from an Apple Store, & do Apple repair or replace if an ipad develops a fault within the warranty period.
Thanks for taking the time to read this - I look forward to some replies if you can advise at all