You forgot to mention the study concludes with also "wealthy" people. And I ask myself: Who picked those hateful labels? I can imagine, selfish humans.
At $500 starting point the iPad may be just a bit expensive but only compared to most common netbooks. And in fact, as some other recent reports clearly demonstrate, iPads are eating some netbook market share which implies NON arrogant people, Lol. iPads may be popular with arrogant, wealthy and selfish people because it allows to consume volumes of all kinds of media, expend a lot of money and look cool. And this study points to a 6 time higher "selfish" rate found on iPad users but where does this leave the regular common iPad Joe user? (very biased study). This is science methods used to focus and prove what you need. By the way this is a marketing study, and not to insult anyone here either, but this study does not relates to my personal reality and to be honest it doesn't represent anyone I know well. But sure there are a lot of arrogant, wealthy and selfish people using all kind of products including iPads. Consider 30% (and I think is nothing like this) of this annoying users being iPad users, where does this leave most users?
With this study, do they want you to relate this general 6 time higher rate and apply these values to every iPad user? This higher rates cannot be generalized as 6 selfish people wont produce more selfless on one very different person. This is not a contagious virus. Some other hidden, none studied aspects of these users would lead to all kind of conclusions. This labels are their appreciation and perception mistake. I think this is not constructive criticism, is not fair to the general iPad user and it is a bad felling hidden with a fancy and extensive study.
Finally, to be honest I haven read the study but also I am plain bored just to go on the internet and read it as from what I read on different articles I think it concludes with false and misleading statements. I wont deny certain truth contained in this study, but also this is plain and simple media manipulation on steroids as they used 20,000 interviews to conclude with such a hateful and generalized, sensationalistic labels. Even if 70% of all iPad users are highly selfish it may say nothing relevant or be fair to the rest of users as the other 30% could represent an entirely different group of people with different characteristics.