Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

4000 version of Android

This is a discussion on 4000 version of Android within the iPad General Discussions forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; A major firm that keeps track of such things, has found over 4000 versions of Android in use, giving new light on how serious fragmentation ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 4000 version of Android

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    1583
    Liked
    52 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,522

    4000 version of Android

    A major firm that keeps track of such things, has found over 4000 versions of Android in use, giving new light on how serious fragmentation of the system is. Of the 4000 devices found using a version of Android, over a third of them were using one-off custom versions. Over 50% were using Ginger Bread (down from 64%) and only 5% were using ICS.

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    21541
    Liked
    5 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Posts
    52
    What is your point? I have an Android phone (Motorola Bionic), and it seriously kicks iPhone butt. It isn't even close! I love my iPad, but will never go back to an iPhone, because since switching to Android, I found out how good phones can be.

    Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

  4. #3
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    175164
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Omaha nebraska
    Posts
    165
    Android cant make a tablet to compete with apples but androids phones are good
    loving my iPad 2 jailbroken

    sent using iPF app

  5. #4
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    156085
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp1216 View Post
    Android cant make a tablet to compete with apples but androids phones are good
    i agree 100%. love the customizable stuff on android on their phones. will never own a apple phone since i really like the bigger screens. i am rocking a galaxy nexus now and love it. as far as tablets go, apple hands down. so much smoother opperation than android and it just works. a few minor things i wish i could do with my ipads but being it just works far better than android tablets i can live with certain setbacks like no folder creating in mail and so on. very curious to see the microsoft windows 8 tablets coming in november.

  6. #5
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    139850
    Liked
    20 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNoBadDog View Post
    What is your point? I have an Android phone (Motorola Bionic), and it seriously kicks iPhone butt. It isn't even close! I love my iPad, but will never go back to an iPhone, because since switching to Android, I found out how good phones can be.

    Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf
    Well I will not try to make Seadogs point but there have been several discussions lately about IOS vs Android, iPad vs Transformer, bla bla, that sort of thing. I think what this shows is that while Android may have more customizing features the fragmentation of the operating system will continue to plague Android and its developers. Also, it shows that with only 5% of Android users having ICS carriers and phone manufactures are having a real issue in making the newest software available to customers. Whether it be compatibility issues with lesser hardware devices or another issue I do not know.
    Last edited by seneca18; 05-18-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    iPhone 4s 64GB White (Jailbroken), The "New iPad" 16GB Black (Stock), Past devices: iPad 2, HTC Hero, HTC Evo, HTC Evo 3D, ASUS Transformer.

  7. #6
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    21541
    Liked
    5 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by seneca18

    Well I will not try to make Seadogs point but there have been several discussions lately about IOS vs Android, iPad vs Transformer, bla bla, that sort of thing. I think what this shows is that while Android may have more customizing features the fragmentation of the operating system will continue to plague Android and its developers. Also, it shows that with only 5% of Android users having ICS carriers and phone manufactures are having a real issue in making the newest software available to customers. Whether it be compatibility issues with lesser hardware devices or another issue I do not know.
    Well, that is only one wy to look at it. Clearly, you have a bias that prevents you from realizing that this "fragmentation" you are rambling about is only a concern for you. I can tell you that for myself, and the many people I know that own android phones, it is a complete non issue.

    The core code is the same, regardless. You don't seem o understand that. Each new version brings refinements, improvements, and new features. But they till run the same apps from the store. No issue there.

    As for your hardware remarks, I will counter that it is far better to have a choice of what hardware you want/need, rather than having someone at Apple deciding for you.

    Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf
    Kaykaykay likes this.

  8. #7
    iPad Ninja
    Member #
    62473
    Liked
    69 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,631
    As a developer of mobile apps, I can tell you that the fragmentation is meaningful for us. We are only supporting 3 of the top selling Android model phones, having dropped everything else due to too much work to keep them current vs the return.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    139850
    Liked
    20 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNoBadDog View Post
    Well, that is only one wy to look at it. Clearly, you have a bias that prevents you from realizing that this "fragmentation" you are rambling about is only a concern for you. I can tell you that for myself, and the many people I know that own android phones, it is a complete non issue.

    The core code is the same, regardless. You don't seem o understand that. Each new version brings refinements, improvements, and new features. But they till run the same apps from the store. No issue there.

    As for your hardware remarks, I will counter that it is far better to have a choice of what hardware you want/need, rather than having someone at Apple deciding for you.

    Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf
    So what exactly in my "rambling" (very polite by the way) was bias? You asked what the point was of Seadogs post, I simply re stated the facts presented. No where did I indicate that IOS is better than Android, you simply implied it. The fact that fragmentation hurts developers is a fact, not a bias or opinion.
    iPhone 4s 64GB White (Jailbroken), The "New iPad" 16GB Black (Stock), Past devices: iPad 2, HTC Hero, HTC Evo, HTC Evo 3D, ASUS Transformer.

  10. #9
    iPad Wizard
    Member #
    49745
    Liked
    440 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    As long as my Android devices do what I want, I don't care about fragmentation.

    I figure that it's up to me to use what's the best combo of devices for me. As for developers, their probs are theirs to figure out.

  11. #10
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    413 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,334
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNoBadDog View Post
    Well, that is only one wy to look at it. Clearly, you have a bias that prevents you from realizing that this "fragmentation" you are rambling about is only a concern for you. I can tell you that for myself, and the many people I know that own android phones, it is a complete non issue.

    Each new version brings refinements, improvements, and new features. But they till run the same apps from the store. No issue there.
    And new bugs, too. Let's go back to December last year when most folks who had an HTC Droid Incredible suddenly started getting low memory errors when their phones had plenty of space. Turns out HTC had modified the code and restricted an important storage element to only 150 MB and once that got down to 10% left the phone went nuts. And no fix from Google, Verizon, or HTC. That's why I have an iPhone today. And I'm not noticing how Android is worlds better. The only thing I miss from Android is this one app called Mr. Number that blocked calls from people not in my contacts. And it also blocked sms texts. It's a really useful app for Android, IMO.
    Last edited by AQ_OC; 05-18-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPad mini - 64 GB - LTE - Black | iPad (3nd Gen) - 64GB - LTE - Black | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 06:01 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 09:43 AM
  4. iPad 2 for $4000 on eBay
    By OzzyB in forum iPad 2 Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
  5. Big Fish - full version & Lite version (New fishing game)
    By StormEye in forum iPad App Announcements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Search tags for this page

android within 4000

Click on a term to search for related topics.